Griffey Talk

Steve9347

The other point to be made is Albert Pujols isn't going to be back for a while, so the Reds at minimum will be very close in this race for a while. If this were to happen, it won't be until mid July minimum, and I don't really think the Reds will go away. Even with Albert, the Cards are vulnerable and the Reds are getting good enough pitching to keep winning at a fair clip with that lineup. Ironically, I think the only way the Reds fall far enough out of it to trade parts is if Griffey gets hurt (they struggled without him when he was hurt earlier this year).

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
He didn't tear anything last year.

He did however pull something which is why he missed almost an entire month last season. Hell, he only played 8 games in April this year due to injury, I love the guy as much as anyone on here but there's no way he stays healthy for the rest of the season, the odds are greatly against him.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Dan Patrick show says that KW is incredibly interested in Griffey, and a deal may go down...

and hawk, he would play centerfield...

i hate to be the one to start this thread, but I just heard this seconds ago...

BUT WHERE WOULD HE PLAY?!!?

/obligatory

:D

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
He did however pull something which is why he missed almost an entire month last season. Hell, he only played 8 games in April this year due to injury, I love the guy as much as anyone on here but there's no way he stays healthy for the rest of the season, the odds are greatly against him.

Well personally it wouldn't matter to me if he had to sit out a couple of weeks simply because Anderson would get a shot to develop while Griffey rests. For me, it makes too much sense to get him, which is why we won't.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Well personally it wouldn't matter to me if he had to sit out a couple of weeks simply because Anderson would get a shot to develop while Griffey rests. For me, it makes too much sense to get him, which is why we won't.

Considering the way our farm system currently is, I'd say Anderson would probably be the a main piece of any Griffey trade. Well, either him of McCarthy. So Brian would be developing for the Reds while Griffey sits on the DL for the Sox.

The way Anderson is hitting would any teams really want him except for maybe Florida. Anderson needs to get sent down. I love Griffey hence why I follow the Reds and Mariners also, this is 50/50 considering he is injury prone, but also would really look good in our lineup.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

Last year I said 'hell no' to this griffey deal. We had a legitamate center fielder in Aaron Rowand. This year we have a minor leaguer out there who can play some defense, but doesnt have a clue behind the plate. I would actually consider this move. JR is older now, but he is still sub-average out there which maybe enough for KW to land him.

However, as many of you Soxtalkers out there stated, the Reds are very much in the race early on this year. They won't be trading him anytime soon. We should talk more about this come the trade deadline. For now, lets focus on patching up the bullpen. It was refreshing to see BMac bounce back tonite, Jenks and Thorton have held there own, Cotts needs to be more consistent and Pollite is burned out. We need 2 solid righties for our pen. Whose out there?!?!?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Maybe try this thread? :D

All I meant was, is there any evidence the Sox or looking to acquire Griffey, or just evidence that Rozner was desperate for column inches?

There's no indication what so ever that the Sox are looking at Griffey and even less evidence that the Reds are looking to move him.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
They are 1 out of first, and based on tomorrow's pitching matchup, may be tied for 1st in 24 hours. Why the hell would they trade Griffey?

Because it's not like the Reds have ever gotten off to a hot start and fallen hard before...

I don't see Griffey as a good fit for the Sox, now. He's not close to the defender he was. He's a lefty, and could really use a RH hitting outfielder added to the equation. Plus, I think he'd cost prohibitive ... in prospects and dollars.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Because it's not like the Reds have ever gotten off to a hot start and fallen hard before...

We are getting into June and they may be tied with the Cardinals for first place later today. The already weak Cardinals who now don't have Pujols. And the rest of their division is the mediocre Brewers, the mediocre Astros, and the horrible Cubs and Pirates. The Reds have gotten off to hot starts before, but this one is different and they aren't going away....they have better pitching this time and much worse competition.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 02:14 AM)
We are getting into June and they may be tied with the Cardinals for first place later today. The already weak Cardinals who now don't have Pujols. And the rest of their division is the mediocre Brewers, the mediocre Astros, and the horrible Cubs and Pirates. The Reds have gotten off to hot starts before, but this one is different and they aren't going away....they have better pitching this time and much worse competition.

Okay. I don' t advocate getting Griffey. But, my reluctant friends, are you ready to say that a "middle" solution to CF is a possibility? And if that's the case, please, please, please, stop nit-picking about the shortcomings of the possible solutions (bad arm, sometimes injured, older than you want), provided that they come relatively cheaply. Seriously. Cut the crap. If you want to pay more, tell us who you're willing to sacrifice. If you're going to stick with Anderson, tell us for how many at--bats. 250? 300? All year?

Needs: (1) Bullpen. First and last. (2) CF. And stop pretending otherwise. Anderson's a prospect, and a good one. I'm a fan. He even has a spot on this team. But let's get someone who can play every day, be adequate in center (which no one, save Anderson, is on the current roster), and succeed occasionally offensively (which, nearly 200 at-bats later -- counting last year -- BA is not). Just cut the garbage about how each possible guy has some pitfall. Let's solve the problem, as best we can, and move forward.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Dan Patrick show says that KW is incredibly interested in Griffey, and a deal may go down...

and hawk, he would play centerfield...

i hate to be the one to start this thread, but I just heard this seconds ago...

anyone know who might be departing from our organization for this trade?