Torii Hunter

AWhiteSoxinNJ

If he were to come here, then Thome will have a few more homers since he won't be bringing them back against us. I think he would be a good, younger option if the Sox are looking to upgrade in centerfield and maybe give BA more time in AAA to improve his offense.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
If he were to come here, then Thome will have a few more homers since he won't be bringing them back against us. I think he would be a good, younger option if the Sox are looking to upgrade in centerfield and maybe give BA more time in AAA to improve his offense.

In Rochester, NY.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)

Jim Thome would get no more homers...BA would rob them instead of Torii.

I would be funnier if BA robbed Hunter of a homer. Hell, someone should just rob Hunter of a homer period...maybe he'll stop robbing them.

And the Twins aren't going to trade their franchise player to their biggest rival. Not gonna happen

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Torii Hunter is not that good on offense, and his defense isn't significantly better than Anderson's in the field. This would be pretty damn pointless, and expensive.

I agree. Hunter is pretty mediocre with the bat and while he is better than Anderson on the field he isn't anything worth giving up the farm for even if it could be pulled off.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 6, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Torii Hunter is not that good on offense, and his defense isn't significantly better than Anderson's in the field. This would be pretty damn pointless, and expensive.

He's had stellar years. Look at what's around him these days, compared to when the Twins were winning the central. He'd be a much more productive hitter in a line up with Thome, Konerko and Dye. Not to mention the versatility he could add on the basepaths. He may not be able to carry an offense, but he can be a pretty damn good player in the right environment. If the Sox can nab him for anything less than Brian Anderson, I don't see why they wouldn't want Torrii Hunter.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:05 AM)
He's had stellar years. Look at what's around him these days, compared to when the Twins were winning the central. He'd be a much more productive hitter in a line up with Thome, Konerko and Dye. Not to mention the versatility he could add on the basepaths. He may not be able to carry an offense, but he can be a pretty damn good player in the right environment. If the Sox can nab him for anything less than Brian Anderson, I don't see why they wouldn't want Torrii Hunter.

He had a steller year. Not multiple ones, only one. In 2002, when he was 26, he posted a .859 OPS (126 OPS+) with 29 HR and a .524 slugging percentage. Past that, he's been nothing special at the bat, and definitely isn't worth the $10.75 million he's being paid this year or $12 million option for next year.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:12 AM)
He had a steller year. Not multiple ones, only one. In 2002, when he was 26, he posted a .859 OPS (126 OPS+) with 29 HR and a .524 slugging percentage. Past that, he's been nothing special at the bat, and definitely isn't worth the $10.75 million he's being paid this year or $12 million option for next year.

Who said the White Sox need him for power numbers? How about you take a look at his OBP and runs scored. Fact is, he's better than Brian Anderson, A LOT better right now. Anderson may be able to patrol center field well, but it's hard not to notice him missing cut off men, not backing up and running into JD when he's hitting below .200. I wouldn't condone trading Anderson to the Twins, but anything less, and I'd make this deal in a heart beat. I'll also mention he plays Ozzie's type of ball, hard nosed, clean and unselfish. He's worth 12 million, you ask me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:12 AM)

Haha, I remember making a bet with a Twins troll after the 2002 season on the old MLB White Sox board that Thomas would outproduce Hunter in 2003. That was awesome.

...and then the Twins won the division

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
And he was too expensive.

Yep;

Williams, who has made a career out of flying under the radar, reportedly has inquired about the availability of Minnesota Twins center fielder Torii Hunter, but the current asking price is way too high.

The good news is the Twins' front office has told Minnesota reporters that they are not against dealing within the division.

"Everybody is interested in Torii,'' Guillen said. "But right now I don't think we're interested in him because, first of all, it sounds like he's going to cost a lot, and we don't know if we can sign him past this year. If we didn't have a center fielder for the future, then maybe Kenny would think about it. But right now we have a center fielder for the future.

"I don't think we're going to give up on Brian's future. To get Hunter, it's going to cost you a lot of players. I don't think Kenny Williams will do that. Everybody needs a player like him, but it won't be easy for us to do that right now.''

The good news is the Twins' front office has told Minnesota reporters that they are not against dealing within the division.

This might be the most interesting thing of all.

I don't know about Torii, but I would see a deal for Lew Ford as being an excellent move for the Sox, he's not too expensive, a clutch hitter, and a solid OFer. He shouldn't be too expensive, plus he wouldn't be able to kick our asses anymore.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 07:20 AM)
I don't know about Torii, but I would see a deal for Lew Ford as being an excellent move for the Sox, he's not too expensive, a clutch hitter, and a solid OFer. He shouldn't be too expensive, plus he wouldn't be able to kick our asses anymore.

How much CF experience does he have?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
How much CF experience does he have?

Comming into this season: (he's barely played out there this year because of Hunter's good health)

CF - 122 G | 963.1 INN

LF - 107 G | 857.2 INN

DH - 74 G

RF - 32 G | 252 INN

With KW, never say never.

Look for Anderson to head back to charlotte very soon. This means we will be seeing alot of Ozuna and RMack out there. I'm almost possitive KW doesnt want these guys playing 'every day' as they are better served as bench players. This means give some other prospect a shot out there or go find a center fielder.

Hunter would fit on this team perfectly. Yea he doesn't have the bat he once had in 2002, but that can easily be improved on this lineup. He has speed also, is a gold glover, and has that fire plug attitude that AJ has. AJ is a menace while Torii is street tough- traits Ozzie loves in players.

The talk is right now that Minnesota's asking price is too high and we can't afford his contract.

Well with the record attendance going on so far this season, i say we can afford him, not to mention we'll only be paying for a half a season. If they cant afford him next year, then just buyout his remaining contract for $2mill.

Offer a mega-package of prospects, do what it takes.

Our lineup would look alot better:

Pods LF

Gooch 2B

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Peirzynski C

Crede 3B

Hunter CF

Uribe SS

Can you say SCARY!

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
If you trade for Hunter, that's all you trade for. We will be spent. I would much much rather take a lower level CF like Brady Clark and still be able to upgrade the pen a good deal.

Perusing the likely available names in trade (Hawkins, Guardado, Roberto, Mateo, Borowski, Stanton), I don't think any of them will cost a lot.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
Comming into this season: (he's barely played out there this year because of Hunter's good health)

CF - 122 G | 963.1 INN

LF - 107 G | 857.2 INN

DH - 74 G

RF - 32 G | 252 INN

Interesting. But for all we know, Ford may play CF like Mackowiak.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
Whenever I see him in the outfield, he seems like he's a terrific defender. He also has a cannon for an arm.

I agree with this completely. Everytime I saw him play CF, he was very good. Granted I still think Anderson is better, but I would grade Ford a B in CF, compared to the D that is Mackowiak.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
I agree with this completely. Everytime I saw him play CF, he was very good. Granted I still think Anderson is better, but I would grade Ford a B in CF, compared to the D that is Mackowiak.

There might be an adjustment period if he's put back into CF, but the "scouting reports" I'm reading here sound encouraging.

That said, Anderson's hitting really isn't a liability to this team. If KW goes after Ford or Clark, he'd damn well better put another arm or two in the 'pen. THAT'S what definitely needs to be addressed.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
There might be an adjustment period if he's put back into CF, but the "scouting reports" I'm reading here sound encouraging.

That said, Anderson's hitting really isn't a liability to this team. If KW goes after Ford or Clark, he'd damn well better put another arm or two in the 'pen. THAT'S what definitely needs to be addressed.

It's been said all season long, Anderson isn't a liability until the offense starts to sour a little bit. Then he IS a liability.

The pen needs to be addressed, but there are all kinds of guys you can plug into your pen over the course of a season...AAAA pitchers, waiver wire pickups, young kids on the 40-man...and Sox fans have seen them all already this season(Montero-Nelson-Tracey/McCarthy)...and we may end up seeing Hermanson give it a shot for 3-4 months getting cortizone shots very so often to try and get this team another ring.