Torii Hunter

AWhiteSoxinNJ

I would be super pissed if we got Hunter, he is a jag off...Not only does he run over our catcher for no reason, but also said we didnt deserve to host the All-Star game in '03.

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 06:45 PM)
If you trade for Hunter, that's all you trade for. We will be spent. I would much much rather take a lower level CF like Brady Clark and still be able to upgrade the pen a good deal.

I disagree. Yea it would take alot to bring Hunter over. However, it shouldn't take alot to bring over a decent reliever. Even if KW adds Hunter, he can still afford to bring in a few relievers.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
I would be super pissed if we got Hunter, he is a jag off...Not only does he run over our catcher for no reason, but also said we didnt deserve to host the All-Star game in '03.

Im pretty sure Mienkeiwicz was the one who said that not Hunter. AND as far as that play at the plate went, Ozzie actually praised the play. He called it ' a clean legal hit '. We were all pissed when it happened, but if it was our player doing it to them, wouldn't you cheer the situation? I don't know about you guys, but I would welcome Torii to southside family with ease. He would fit this team perfect! Those of you still bitter at him for 2003 need to move on! We already have one of those fiesty former Twins (AJ) why not one more to add to this championship roster?

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:07 PM)
I disagree. Yea it would take alot to bring Hunter over. However, it shouldn't take alot to bring over a decent reliever. Even if KW adds Hunter, he can still afford to bring in a few relievers.

In a buyer's market, decent relievers can cost quite a bit. One may be surprised.

Hunter would be a rent-a-player for the Sox, and knowing how much it would cost, it would be detrimental to the Sox in the long run to trade for Hunter.

He can remain in your Sox fantasies, but I would bet good money he's not coming to Chicago.

hmm probably 2 top pitching prospects and a top OF prospect. They might even ask for Brian Anderson. But i do know Minnesota is always looking to improve there pitching depth down in the farm.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
In a buyer's market, decent relievers can cost quite a bit. One may be surprised.

Hunter would be a rent-a-player for the Sox, and knowing how much it would cost, it would be detrimental to the Sox in the long run to trade for Hunter.

He can remain in your Sox fantasies, but I would bet good money he's not coming to Chicago.

KW and JR want to repeat THIS YEAR! Your right it probably wont happen. But like i said, never say never. There are pleanty of other OF options out there that would work also. I'm just interested in seeing what KW will do.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
hmm probably 2 top pitching prospects and a top OF prospect. They might even ask for Brian Anderson. But i do know Minnesota is always looking to improve there pitching depth down in the farm.

KW and JR want to repeat THIS YEAR! Your right it probably wont happen. But like i said, never say never. There are pleanty of other OF options out there that would work also. I'm just interested in seeing what KW will do.

2 of Liotta, Lumsden, and Broadway, plus 1 of Sweeney and Anderson...for 3 months of Torii Hunter? KDub may want to win this year, but he's not stupid.

You are more realistically looking at Brady Clark, Corey Patterson, or Lew Ford...good but not gold glove defensive players with good bats to go along with speed and good baseball instincts. They'll be a little cheaper and/or have more long term value to the Sox than one Torii Hunter will.

A little off topic, but this is from the SI article from earlier in the thread.

Rookie Jered Weaver put even more pressure on his older brother, Jeff, the most susceptible of the Angels starters to being traded or demoted to the bullpen, by pitching the Angels to a 6-2 win over Tampa Bay in Tropicana Field on Wednesday. Do they keep Jered in a rotation and trade Jeff Weaver, who has been linked to rumors with Toronto, or send him to the bullpen? There has also been speculation of a deal that would send Ervin Santana to the Devil Rays for Carl Crawford. -- Los Angeles Times

If they'd take E Santana for Crawford, they'd take BMac. I don't like the idea of trading him but hell, if you could land Crawford and his contract, do it.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
just curious, but what do you think the asking price is?

Brian Anderson + 1 other top-line prospect at the least.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)

If they'd take E Santana for Crawford, they'd take BMac. I don't like the idea of trading him but hell, if you could land Crawford and his contract, do it.

This team cannot trade BMac without getting pitching in return. Augustin Montero would move up to our #1 righty setup man.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)

not neccesarily... Santana has actually been starting in the majors unlike B-Mac in the pen and Santana has better pure stuff as well.

I think someone is blwoing some trade smoke a this Hunter deal. About 2 weeks ago, the Twins front office and Torii opened up some contract extension talks. So maybe this rumor is to up his price a bit

Secondly, Lew Ford does not have a cannon arm. He is accurate, but not powerful.

And he is batting about .230 this year and has taking some realllllllly bad swings

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Perusing the likely available names in trade (Hawkins, Guardado, Roberto, Mateo, Borowski, Stanton), I don't think any of them will cost a lot.

Why go after a top notch CF instead of a top notch RP? Did last year teach us nothing? Those guys you named are no one that should be in an important role for a World Series caliber team. If you are going to tap out on something, tap out on the best available pitching. God knows we need it.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 06:15 PM)
Why go after a top notch CF instead of a top notch RP? Did last year teach us nothing? Those guys you named are no one that should be in an important role for a World Series caliber team. If you are going to tap out on something, tap out on the best available pitching. God knows we need it.

Our bullpen is A LOT bigger problem than CF. Last year should have taught us that pitching wins championships. And our bullpen is less than stellar.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
but also said we didnt deserve to host the All-Star game in '03.

That's interesting coming from a Twins player. Like the Humpty Dumpty Dome is a better place to host the ASG? :rolly

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)

The "top notch" RP's really aren't out there. And the best available guys [LaTroy Hawkins] won't cost much.

If the price for Hunter isn't that high, getting the defense shored up along with another big bat might be very appealing to KW.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Who said the White Sox need him for power numbers? How about you take a look at his OBP and runs scored. Fact is, he's better than Brian Anderson, A LOT better right now. Anderson may be able to patrol center field well, but it's hard not to notice him missing cut off men, not backing up and running into JD when he's hitting below .200. I wouldn't condone trading Anderson to the Twins, but anything less, and I'd make this deal in a heart beat. I'll also mention he plays Ozzie's type of ball, hard nosed, clean and unselfish. He's worth 12 million, you ask me.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

Take a look at his OBP? Its putrid for a person making the amount of money that he is, career .321 with a .328 OBP this year, which is far from being respectable. As for runs scored, who cares what they are? They are completely team dependant, meaning if you bat in front of a slugger, you will score more runs than if you bat in front of an automatic out (etc. etc.).

Yes, right now, he's a lot better than Brian Anderson with the bat... who isn't? But do we really need the offensive upgrade from suck to stink that badly? I say no. Anderson's defense has been solid all year, and has probably saved as many runs as his offense has cost the team. Contrary to popular belief, he hasn't hurt this team as much as other things, such as the performance of the bullpen, have.