Cotts on DL

MnSoxFan

Sorry if already discussed, I have been working too much and took a small break. Not sure who was promoted to Birm from Winston-Salem, but Castro was promoted from Kannapolis to Winston-Salem as part of the musical chairs.

Now 3 LHs from Barons rotation on DL, Malone, Ulacia and Cotts.

Right now the Barons have the following starters: West, Yofu, Enemencio

Now, the Barons could have McWhirter fill in for Ulacia/Cotts and promote a starter (Francisco, Honel, Wing)

Or have Wylie and McWhirter start and promote Stumm or Meaux.

Rex, what sounds like the most likely?

Cotts DL appearance is more for precaution. He only is gonna miss 1 start most likely. McWhirter is spot starting Sunday for Cotts and I'm gonna spot start Monday. We got Purvis from Extended Spring and I think O'neal from Winston. Our pitchers have taken a little beating thus far this year but those who have been healthy have picked up the slack. We have 12 games in the next 11 days so our pitching staff is gonna be pushed to the limit. Time for the bus to the field. Adios

Bullard said it all. I heard nothing more than inflammation with Cotts and that he should only miss 1 start.

O'Neal and Purvis both pitched in relief of Yofu tonight and got rocked. Barons lost first game 13-4. Won second game 7-0 behind combined shutout from Wylie, Bajaneru and Ring.

Joining yesterday's growing list of injured lefties, White Sox Double-A prospect Neal Cotts was placed on the seven-day disabled list with a sore shoulder. Cotts, who was acquired from the A's as part of the Billy Koch deal last year, is 7-2, 2.11 for Birmingham this season. He throws 85-89 with a plus curveball, but his changeup is his out pitch.

This was on Baseball America's site. It sounds like not a big deal at all if he is only on the 7 day DL. The interesting part was his pitch speed. If this guy is averaging 13.5 K's per 9 IP with a fastball that doesn't break 90, he must have some incredible movement on his stuff. Even more so than I ever imagined.

This was on Baseball America's site.  It sounds like not a big deal at all if he is only on the 7 day DL.  The interesting part was his pitch speed.  If this guy is averaging 13.5 K's per 9 IP with a fastball that doesn't break 90, he must have some incredible movement on his stuff.  Even more so than I ever imagined.

Cotts knows how to pitch. He moves the ball in and out, up and down. He keeps hitters off balance and is good at coming up with a big pitch in a great location to get the strikeout.

A negative of all the strikeouts is he goes deep into counts with most hitters, giving him a higher pitch count than most pitchers. His longest outing this year has been 6 2/3. Most of his outings have been in teh 5 or 6 inning range.

When he finds a way to go deeper into games without losing the edge he has (even if that means a few less strikeouts), he could be quite dangerous down the road.

This was on Baseball America's site.  It sounds like not a big deal at all if he is only on the 7 day DL.  The interesting part was his pitch speed.  If this guy is averaging 13.5 K's per 9 IP with a fastball that doesn't break 90, he must have some incredible movement on his stuff.  Even more so than I ever imagined.

Cotts knows how to pitch. He moves the ball in and out, up and down. He keeps hitters off balance and is good at coming up with a big pitch in a great location to get the strikeout.

A negative of all the strikeouts is he goes deep into counts with most hitters, giving him a higher pitch count than most pitchers. His longest outing this year has been 6 2/3. Most of his outings have been in teh 5 or 6 inning range.

When he finds a way to go deeper into games without losing the edge he has (even if that means a few less strikeouts), he could be quite dangerous down the road.

He needs to learn the Kip Wells and Jon Garland thing, it sounds like. TRUST YOUR STUFF!

There have been lots of great pitchers who have consistently gone deep into counts.  Some guys pitch better 3 and 2 than others.

Perhaps, but do you want a guy coming to the Majors that walks 4-5 guys a game in 5-6 innings in AA starts?

I have confidence he will do what needs to be done to solve it.

That is one reason I feel that strike outs by a pitcher are over rated. Take Colon for example, his strike outs are down from previous years, but he is a much better pitcher than he used to be. He's learned how to let the hitters get themselves out. Which, in the long run, will save wear and tear on his arm.

That is one reason I feel that strike outs by a pitcher are over rated.  Take Colon for example, his strike outs are down from previous years, but he is a much better pitcher than he used to be. He's learned how to let the hitters get themselves out.  Which, in the long run, will save wear and tear on his arm.

Exactly. The only times strikeouts are decisively better are with men on base or when you have a terrible-fielding team behind you IMO.

Exactly.  The only times strikeouts are decisively better are with men on base or when you have a terrible-fielding team behind you IMO.

In that case shouldnt we only draft strikeout pitchers... Our D leaves a lot to be desired.

But K's are by no means the end all for a pitcher... I would hoiwever like you all to take a look at jon garlands game logs this year..

Check out his BB:K ratios for each start and how he preforms.... then tell me K's are uinimportant

In that case shouldnt we only draft strikeout pitchers... Our D leaves a lot to be desired.

But K's are by no means the end all for a pitcher... I would hoiwever like you all to take a look at jon garlands game logs this year..

Check out his BB:K ratios for each start and how he preforms.... then tell me K's are uinimportant

Well, I think his BB:K ratio is more affected by the BB side than anything else.

Well, I think his BB:K ratio is more affected by the BB side than anything else.

NOPE!

check it out.

He has a few games where he has a 1:1 ratio... or 1:2

Only two games where he had 4 walks.. thats the most...