Brady Clark

Steve9347

...from Gammon's Insider blog today

With Brian Anderson struggling, the White Sox have sniffed around for a center fielder. "He's got a hole down and away right now," one scout said, "and right-handed pitchers can easily exploit it because that's where they like to pitch." Anderson is an excellent defender and always plays hard, but it's hard to develop on the bench and it's hard for Ozzie to play him when he isn't hitting. Guillen has been playing Pablo Ozuna there with some success, but GM Ken Williams is always one to move, and he'd like a center fielder and a reliever. One center fielder who might get a lot of interest is Milwaukee's Brady Clark.

I like Clark, and I think he would do well... but is he MUCH better than Mackowiak defensively? I'm not sure...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is far superior to Mack defensively, the guy can play both RF and CF well with a terrific arm and good range. He'd be a second leadoff hitter at the bottom of the lineup (not much power but a very high OBP and above average BA).

Brady Clark really is the best fit of any name that has been thrown you there yet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
And as we all know, the Brewers and White Sox have a good recent trading history. And the brewers probably wouldn't mind getting a little bit younger.

What is Clark's contract status?

He's signed through next year, he makes $3M this year and will make $3.8M next year. The guy is right handed and is 33.

Have you ever seen a better fit?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
He is far superior to Mack defensively, the guy can play both RF and CF well with a terrific arm and good range. He'd be a second leadoff hitter at the bottom of the lineup (not much power but a very high OBP and above average BA).

Brady Clark really is the best fit of any name that has been thrown you there yet.

He would also be able to step into the leadoff spot when Ozzie decides to play the Sunday line up.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)

if his defense is this good... im all for bring him to the south side. im going to cards/brew on SAT, so i will scout him...

ha. im also going to the sox THURS, FRI, and SUNDAY... this weekend will rule

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
He's signed through next year, he makes $3M this year and will make $3.8M next year. The guy is right handed and is 33.

Have you ever seen a better fit?

he's perfect.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
He would also be able to step into the leadoff spot when Ozzie decides to play the Sunday line up.

Exactly, the only thing that worries me is his switching from the NL to the AL in the middle of the season. Over his 8 year career he's played for 3 different NL teams and finally becomming a good every day player when finally landing with the Brewers in '03 at the age of 30. Could he handle the American League?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Exactly, the only thing that worries me is his switching from the NL to the AL in the middle of the season. Over his 8 year career he's played for 3 different NL teams and finally becomming a good every day player when finally landing with the Brewers in '03 at the age of 30. Could he handle the American League?

better than Anderson, and D better than Mack...

it's an upgrade, and that's all we can ask for. Plus, you wouldn't have to deal Anderson or BMac in this deal.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
better than Anderson, and D better than Mack...

it's an upgrade, and that's all we can ask for. Plus, you wouldn't have to deal Anderson or BMac in this deal.

That's what I figure, even if he has a tough time adapting to the superior brand of ball he can't be as bad as Anderson.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Sounds nice in theory, but why give up prospects for Clark when you're going to need them for bullpen help?

Because we have more than 1 prospect to trade, and the nice thing about a Brady Clark is that in theory he shouldn't cost more than 1 top and 1 mid level prospect, at least in my book, given that he's not all that far from FA.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)
Brewers would love some White Sox pitching prospects.

Seeing how some of the sox other prospects and pitchers have done in the NL [Rauch, Majewski, Luis Vizcaino], they should love dealing with the sox.

The Sox could be OK dealing Haeger and another arm like Tracey. They likely won't see the sox roster with thier suspect control.

They also need a catcher. One of either Stewart or Molina could be extra weight, with AJ signed for 3 yrs.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 07:52 PM)
Sounds nice in theory, but why give up prospects for Clark when you're going to need them for bullpen help?

Clark probably won't cost the sox a top 10 prospect. But if it was for a guy who didn't fit with the sox, like a Sean Tracey, it'd be worth it.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Seeing how some of the sox other prospects and pitchers have done in the NL [Rauch, Majewski, Luis Vizcaino], they should love dealing with the sox.

The Sox could be OK dealing Haeger and another arm like Tracey. They likely won't see the sox roster with thier suspect control.

They also need a catcher. One of either Stewart or Molina could be extra weight, with AJ signed for 3 yrs.

Clark probably won't cost the sox a top 10 prospect. But if it was for a guy who didn't fit with the sox, like a Sean Tracey, it'd be worth it.

Didn't fit in = called up today :D

I think we can't really afford to dump Stewart, just because he looks set to take the Widge's role next year. Molina might be manageable, but we do need to have a ML ready catching backup for next season, even if all he does is hit .200.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
that Anderson. He real bad.

I think Anderson could still help the sox down the road [maybe even this year]. I just think he needs more time in AAA though to work things out. The Sox shouldn't give up on him, esp with his defense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
Didn't fit in = called up today :D

I think we can't really afford to dump Stewart, just because he looks set to take the Widge's role next year. Molina might be manageable, but we do need to have a ML ready catching backup for next season, even if all he does is hit .200.

Tracey got called up? I know they tried him in the bullpen in AAA and put him back in the rotation. We'll see how he does. With his control, though, I'm not overly optimistic. At least he could go in long relief, mop up type innings when the game is out of reach, or the sox are in a big hole early. Montero wasn't going to be the answer.

FWIW, here was the Sporting News Baseball scouting report on him from there spring issue:

"Offense: hits from a wide stance with a deep crouch and littel stride. Has an uppercut swing and showed improved bat speed last season. Can turn on inside pitches and has deceptive power. Hits well against all pitchers. Has improved w/ RISP. Is a good runner but sometimes gets picked off because he bites on first moves.

Defense: Can play all three OF positions but is most comfortable in center. Gets good jumps and closes well on balls hit to the gaps. Plays deep and is better coming in than going back. Has good arm strength but a slow release.

Outlook: Clark proved he could be an everyday player last season and has th ability to duplicate his 2005 numbers.

Grade: 7.2" [Rowand's grade--8.0] Based on a scale of 10, I believe.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
Because we have more than 1 prospect to trade, and the nice thing about a Brady Clark is that in theory he shouldn't cost more than 1 top and 1 mid level prospect, at least in my book, given that he's not all that far from FA.

If Politte's having shoulder problems, Nelson can no longer pitch at a major-league level, and Hermanson's career is likely over, we're going to need trade for more than one reliever. I wouldn't be opposed to trading for Clark, but giving up one top- and one middle-level prospect for him alone might be a problem.