Brady Clark

Steve9347

There was talk about this guy already over on a Brewer site. While his ERA is good, he gives up too many BB/IP for my tastes. (We also got really burned by another knuckler earlier this year, but I'm trying not to let that taint my opinion.)

So straight-up? No.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(brewerbacker @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
There was talk about this guy already over on a Brewer site. While his ERA is good, he gives up too many BB/IP for my tastes. (We also got really burned by another knuckler earlier this year, but I'm trying not to let that taint my opinion.)

So straight-up? No.

Haha, so Brewer fans are still pissed about Jared Fernandez s***ting his pants early in the year huh? I gotta say it was pretty funny watching him come out of the pen with the knuckler and get rocked.

Though I do like the Brewers, I love comedy even more.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
Haha, so Brewer fans are still pissed about Jared Fernandez s***ting his pants early in the year huh? I gotta say it was pretty funny watching him come out of the pen with the knuckler and get rocked.

Though I do like the Brewers, I love comedy even more.

Hey now Kalapse, no need to swear... oops. Sorry. I forgot that Jared Fernandez is considered a 4-letter-word only on Brewer sites. :P

Question back to you Sox fans... How about Brandon McCarthy for Brady Clark? I've heard Brandon McCarthy proposed by some Brewer fans. What do you southsiders think of that? Could he be had for Brady Clark alone, with additional players, or not at all?

QUOTE(brewerbacker @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
Hey now Kalapse, no need to swear... oops. Sorry. I forgot that Jared Fernandez is considered a 4-letter-word only on Brewer sites. :P

Question back to you Sox fans... How about Brandon McCarthy for Brady Clark? I've heard Brandon McCarthy proposed by some Brewer fans. What do you southsiders think of that? Could he be had for Brady Clark alone, with additional players, or not at all?

Brandon McCarthy is one of the 5-10 best young starters in all of baseball. I realize he's stuck in our pen, but he'd be a starter on almost every team in the majors (today). So unless we are getting a Brad Lidge type player, there is zero chance the Sox give up McCarthy for Clark.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
Brandon McCarthy is one of the 5-10 best young starters in all of baseball. I realize he's stuck in our pen, but he'd be a starter on almost every team in the majors (today). So unless we are getting a Brad Lidge type player, there is zero chance the Sox give up McCarthy for Clark.

Brad Lidge 2006? Or Brad Lidge 2005? :D

Thanks, that's what I had thought too when I heard others propose McCarthy.

Edited by brewerbacker

Guest JimH

The White Sox are shooting for another World Series title so I very much doubt they'd part with someone on their 25 man roster. They are trying to add a piece or two, using prospects.

Look for them (the Sox) to part with at least one of their young starting prospects, along with a position player prospect.

It really depends if Melvin and his staff think the Brewers can contend. They're a bit out of first and behind several teams. But I suspect they'll wait another month before deciding to part with a guy like Clark, if at all. Clark is signed for 2007 at a fairly reasonable price.

QUOTE(brewerbacker @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
Brad Lidge 2006? Or Brad Lidge 2005? :D

Thanks, that's what I had thought too when I heard others McCarthy that idea.

It would have been like you guys trading Ben Sheets for Brady Clark (if he played for another team). And no, McCarthy isn't the type of prospect Ben Sheets was, but he's still a damn good one who has had success at the major league level.

McCarthy ranks just below Liriano and Felix Hernandez and even with a few other guys that are currently pitching at the major league level.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
The White Sox are shooting for another World Series title so I very much doubt they'd part with someone on their 25 man roster. They are trying to add a piece or two, using prospects.

Look for them (the Sox) to part with at least one of their young starting prospects, along with a position player prospect.

It really depends if Melvin and his staff think the Brewers can contend. They're a bit out of first and behind several teams. But I suspect they'll wait another month before deciding to part with a guy like Clark, if at all. Clark is signed for 2007 at a fairly reasonable price.

I think Clark is gone regardless of the Brewers standing. The fact is that we have a lot of OF's, and he is the perfect blend of "expendable for us" and "desirable to somebody else". (unlike Carlos Lee or Jenks, who is certainly desirable to others, but not very expendable for us)

Clark is cheap, but for once (HOORAY!!), financial conerns are not pushing the Brewers to make this deal. Salary doesn't matter here, the Crew could be a better team by trading him.

Edited by brewerbacker

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
Anyone think Broadway would be the pitcher to go in any deal?

If Haeger's not enough, he's the next best bet. Haeger only stands out to me as trade bait because there's no obvious role for him in the next 2 years, and he should be pitching in the ML right now or within a few months at worst.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 04:26 PM)
I just feel like nobody really takes Haeger seriously. I mean, people here probably don't really believe he'll actually succeed on a long-term basis in the majors.

It's usually pretty hard to take a knuckleballer seriously when they don't fit into the usual tools people scout for. But then every so often a good one comes along, and winds up winning a lot of games, and no one has a clue how he does it. Which is why I think Haeger should be in the big leagues pretty soon...he's not going to learn much more in AAA than he's getting right now. I just hope someone out there is willing to take a gamble on him, since he's on the one team with the least amount of room.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
It's usually pretty hard to take a knuckleballer seriously when they don't fit into the usual tools people scout for. But then every so often a good one comes along, and winds up winning a lot of games, and no one has a clue how he does it. Which is why I think Haeger should be in the big leagues pretty soon...he's not going to learn much more in AAA than he's getting right now. I just hope someone out there is willing to take a gamble on him, since he's on the one team with the least amount of room.

I just don't think we'd get anything very good for Haeger, the more that I think about it. There's only a successful knuckleballer once in a long while. I doubt a team would give us anything of value for what seems to be a long shot in Haeger.