Sean Tracey Promoted; Cliff Politte to the DL

Steve9347

This could be a very good thing for the Sox... Cliff gets healthy, returns to 2004 form (i dont hold out hopes of him being as good as he was in 2005) and Tracey gets a chance. If Tracey can be effective, the Sox have another arm to add to the pen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Sean Tracey still has a 95 mph fastball and he's not afraid to pitch inside, right Jas?

Yer gosh darn right. Odd thing is his FB velocity was low most of the spring, but his move back to the rotation led to his stuff coming back (I think he just wasn't quite ready during the spring).

Really excited for Sean...one of my favorite prospects and part of that has to deal with how cool of an interview he was.

This is not good at all. NO wonder the guys been terrible all season.

Cotts too. We are officially in trouble now with only 1 reliable bullpen person (2 if you want to count

McCarthy). Not good at all (the other site would ban you at this point for "worrying" heh heh)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
Yer gosh darn right. Odd thing is his FB velocity was low most of the spring, but his move back to the rotation led to his stuff coming back (I think he just wasn't quite ready during the spring).

Really excited for Sean...one of my favorite prospects and part of that has to deal with how cool of an interview he was.

Dig out that interview, por favor. I could not find it.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)

Cotts too. We are officially in trouble now with only 1 reliable bullpen person (2 if you want to count

McCarthy). Not good at all (the other site would ban you at this point for "worrying" heh heh)

huh?

how is this bad? politte wasn't bringing ANYTHING useful

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)

Last year in April, Cotts had a 3.86 ERA, and a 3.00 ERA in May. This year, Cotts was at 3.27 in April and 2.53 in May. Clearly he's been terrible.

Sean Tracey Promoted to Chicago; Cliff Politte to the DL

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

The Chicago White Sox placed reliever Cliff Politte on the 15 day disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game due to soreness in his shoulder. Politte, a key cog to last year’s strong bullpen, has struggled mightily in 06; posting a 7.40 ERA in 16 appearances. The White Sox will replace Politte with AAA starter Sean Tracey, who will move into the bullpen in Chicago.

The severity of Politte’s injury is not clear, although FutureSox.com is working on finding out more about Politte’s long term prognosis. After posting a career best 2.00 ERA in 68 appearances in 2005, Politte has came back to earth. His velocity has been down from his usual mid 90’s and he’s struggled mightily with his command. Politte has also hesitated to pitch inside and hitters are leaning out over the plate ready to drive the ball.

Politte’s injury could be seen as good news; he wasn’t getting better with work and if a little rest is all his elbow needs, it is possible that he could come back later this season as the Cliff Politte of last year.

This injury may also push GM Ken Williams into making a deal for a reliever a bit sooner than expected. Most teams with competent relievers are still in contention, however, Williams may be forced to give up a little extra to get a quality arm from a team that has already fallen out of contention.

Until Williams can pull the trigger on a reliever (or two), newly promoted RHP Sean Tracey and recently promoted RHP Augustin Montero will be counted on in more pressure situations.

Sean Tracey is a hard throwing right hander who has excelled everywhere he’s been sent to in the Sox system. A starter by title, many scouts have expected Tracey to make the move to the pen. The Sox tried doing this to Tracey earlier this year as he started the year in Charlotte’s pen, but Tracey struggled before being moved back into the rotation.

Since rejoining the Knights rotation, Tracey has regained his velocity (into the mid 90’s with good sinking action) and is now 5-3 with a 3.18 ERA in 15 games (9 starts). He mixes in a hard slider and an occasional changeup and is not afraid to throw inside (leading to many HBP). However, Tracey is known to have bouts with his command, but his pure stuff should be enough reason to have Ozzie and White Sox fans excited.

Tracey isn’t Bobby Jenks, but the Sox will need him or Montero to step up and earn a full time spot in a struggling pen.

I think this is great, Sean Tracey aside.

At least we have a diagnosis for Cliff's blow up. If shoulder soreness is the problem then a trip to the DL might cure it, and if so we get Clifford back in good shape.

I have to say, the last time he pitched he was hitting over 90 mph on his fastball. To think someone can do that with a sore shoulder...man, that's gutting it out.

get well soon, cliff.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
A man is injured here. I understand that fun is fun and baseball is all about fun and winning is fun, but let's not forget the big picture here.

Some fans were injured because of the velocity of balls hit from his pitching. Good riddance. I think this is another example of a "convenient" injury. They don't want to release him, but they don't want to send him to the mound.

Sean Tracey Promoted to Chicago; Cliff Politte to the DL

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

The Chicago White Sox placed reliever Cliff Politte on the 15 day disabled list prior to Wednesday’s game due to soreness in his shoulder. Politte, a key cog to last year’s strong bullpen, has struggled mightily in 06; posting a 7.40 ERA in 16 appearances. The White Sox will replace Politte with AAA starter Sean Tracey, who will move into the bullpen in Chicago...Click Here for More On Politte and Tracey

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)

According to the official release, it's shoulder, not elbow.

Cliff to DL

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox placed reliever Cliff Politte on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 5) with right shoulder inflammation and recalled right-hander Sean Tracey from Class AAA Charlotte.

Politte, 32, has gone 1-1 with a 7.40 ERA (17 ER/20.2 IP) in 23 relief appearances with the Sox this season. Over his last seven games, Politte has given up eight runs on 15 hits over 6.1 IP (11.37 ERA).

Tracey, 25, went 5-3 with a 3.18 ERA (22 ER/62.1 IP) and 49 strikeouts in 15 games (nine starts) with the Knights this season. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder issued 35 walks but held opponents to a .210 (47-224) average. His first six appearances of the season came in relief but he made nine straight starts prior to the recall.

Tracey is 43-31 with a 3.84 ERA (245 ER/574.1 IP) and 437 strikeouts in 113 games (97 starts) over five minor-league seasons. He originally was selected by the White Sox in the eighth round of the June 2002 First-Year Player Draft.

Tracey, who has no major-league experience, will wear uniform No. 50.

I too am ready to hop aboard the Sean Tracey Love Train. This can't be anything but a good thing. He can't be any worse than Cliff and maybe just maybe he will suprise alot of people at the ML level. If he does come out getting ahead of hitters this pen just might have fixed itself. When Cliff returns he moves into the mop up role. McCarthy has gotten the Nod for the right handed set up role, Jenks is obviously the closer, Cotts & Thornton have both been really good.

::Turns on Quad City DJs "Come on and Ride It (the Train)"::

19_steam_engine_georget.jpg

"come on ride the train, and ride it"

Next Stop 35th and Shields

GL Sean :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
According to the official release, it's shoulder, not elbow.

Cliff to DL

CHICAGO -- Prior to tonight's game vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox placed reliever Cliff Politte on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to June 5) with right shoulder inflammation and recalled right-hander Sean Tracey from Class AAA Charlotte.

Politte, 32, has gone 1-1 with a 7.40 ERA (17 ER/20.2 IP) in 23 relief appearances with the Sox this season. Over his last seven games, Politte has given up eight runs on 15 hits over 6.1 IP (11.37 ERA).

Tracey, 25, went 5-3 with a 3.18 ERA (22 ER/62.1 IP) and 49 strikeouts in 15 games (nine starts) with the Knights this season. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder issued 35 walks but held opponents to a .210 (47-224) average. His first six appearances of the season came in relief but he made nine straight starts prior to the recall.

Tracey is 43-31 with a 3.84 ERA (245 ER/574.1 IP) and 437 strikeouts in 113 games (97 starts) over five minor-league seasons. He originally was selected by the White Sox in the eighth round of the June 2002 First-Year Player Draft.

Tracey, who has no major-league experience, will wear uniform No. 50.

Ya, I had shoulder but I pasted my unedited version of the story and than I caught the error when I was editing the piece real quickly. Its fixed everywhere now.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
35 walks in 62 innings for Tracey.

don't get too excited.

Walked 76 in 154 innings last year and 69 in 148 the year before.

big league hitters will make him throw it over the plate.

I don't have the exact splits in front of me, but I think about 15 of those walks came in like his first 15 innings (when he was relieving). His control has been much better as of late, although it is definately the one thing that could hinder his success at the major league level (the stuff is there though, which is definately nice).

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
35 walks in 62 innings for Tracey.

don't get too excited.

Walked 76 in 154 innings last year and 69 in 148 the year before.

big league hitters will make him throw it over the plate.

If he's missing with some pitches, but missing inside, I might not have as much of a problem with it. I'll take 1 walk every 2 innings if he keeps his ERA under 5.

i hope he succeeds. I do. We need him.

I just caution about expecting instant success.

seen too many guys come up and get in trouble because big-league hitters (other than BA) know how to contol the strike zone, take their walks and make a young guy prove he can get multiple pitches over the plate.

Seen too many guys like Ginter and Rauch and DAnny Wright who struggled with good arms because of command.

Maybe Tracey will be the exception. But I don't think we should expect him to fix our problems immediately.

Edited by winninguglyin83

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
i hope he succeeds. I do. We need him.

I just caution about expecting instant success.

seen too many guys come up and get in trouble because big-league hitters (other than BA) know how to contol the strike zone, take their walks and make a young guy prove he can get multiple pitches over the plate.

Seen too many guys like Ginter and Rauch and DAnny Wright who struggled with good arms because of command.

Maybe Tracey will be the exception. But I don't think we should expect him to fix our problems immediately.

I agree with that and there is a good chance he won't succeed right out of the gate, but I think he's one of the few in house candidates we have that could actually turn into a quality reliever for us (and if things go well he could help the pen out a lot THIS year).

Everything is there with him, with exception to the bouts with his command. The nice part is he is willing to throw inside and he's one of those guys that I Think can be "effectively" wild.