Sean Tracey Promoted; Cliff Politte to the DL

Steve9347

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
35 walks in 62 innings for Tracey.

don't get too excited.

Walked 76 in 154 innings last year and 69 in 148 the year before.

big league hitters will make him throw it over the plate.

Walk totals tend to go up when a guy gets recalled. MLB hitters have better batting eyes, the strike zone is more consistent, umpires tend not to give rookies the benefit of the doubt on borderline pitches, and Tracey probably won't have the same confidence until he has a little success at the major league level. He really struggled in spring training when he had a great opportunity to make the team. He struggled initially when used in relief at Charlotte, but turned it around as a starter. Now he's going back to relief, where you would think he would shine, but hasn't yet. Its a crapshoot. He has great stuff, and could be a solid reliever. Its also possible if not probable he s***s the bed, but he can't be any worse than Politte, and if he fails, KW will know its time to get some help, and Tracey becomes trade bait, or a little more seasoning and he becomes a solid member of the White Sox bullpen.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beautox @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
I too am ready to hop aboard the Sean Tracey Love Train. This can't be anything but a good thing. He can't be any worse than Cliff and maybe just maybe he will suprise alot of people at the ML level. If he does come out getting ahead of hitters this pen just might have fixed itself. When Cliff returns he moves into the mop up role. McCarthy has gotten the Nod for the right handed set up role, Jenks is obviously the closer, Cotts & Thornton have both been really good.

::Turns on Quad City DJs "Come on and Ride It (the Train)"::

19_steam_engine_georget.jpg

"come on ride the train, and ride it"

Next Stop 35th and Shields

GL Sean :gosoxretro:

If you feel like dancing, come on, it's up to you...

My concern with this bullpen, as I wrote on the eve of the season, is the complete lack of experience. Only Cotts and Jenks pitched in the postseason last year. And our entire pen, with Tracey, has less experience than Cliff Politte had by himself.

Politte 8 years

Cotts 3 years

Thornton 2 years

Jenks

McCarthy

Montero

Tracey

Wouldn't Luis Vizcaino look good back in Chicago right now? He's done very well in Arizona. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6291 Of course, the Diamondbacks won't trade him, but he's the kind of right hander we need. Someone who can make 70+ appearances and who thrives the more you use him.

I think a back end of the bullpen comprised of Montero and Tracey is a potential disaster, especially since Cotts, Thornton, and McCarthy haven't exactly been lights out.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Last year in April, Cotts had a 3.86 ERA, and a 3.00 ERA in May. This year, Cotts was at 3.27 in April and 2.53 in May. Clearly he's been terrible.

How's it go...

Owned.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Last year in April, Cotts had a 3.86 ERA, and a 3.00 ERA in May. This year, Cotts was at 3.27 in April and 2.53 in May. Clearly he's been terrible.

He hasn't pitched as well as last year. He has pitched a lot more. He has Marte's role. Look at Marte last April and May, and you will see numbers that were better than Neal's. Neal's strikeout rate is way down, and he's already allowed 4 times as many homers as he did all year. He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been very sharp. As I have stated numerous times, it would be crazy to think he could duplicate last year's numbers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
He hasn't pitched as well as last year. He has pitched a lot more. He has Marte's role. Look at Marte last April and May, and you will see numbers that were better than Neal's. Neal's strikeout rate is way down, and he's already allowed 4 times as many homers as he did all year. He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been very sharp. As I have stated numerous times, it would be crazy to think he could duplicate last year's numbers.

Well his 2nd half last year was unmatchable no matter if it was someone with more experience, so expecting the same is expecting too much. I am comfortable with him in the pen though knowing he is capable of dominating.

I sure hope this isn't some phantom injury and the cause of Cliff pitching like a piece of s*** this year. I hope he recovers and comes back as the Cliff from '05. If this is what it takes.

As for Tracey.... :sleep

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
i hope he succeeds. I do. We need him.

I just caution about expecting instant success.

seen too many guys come up and get in trouble because big-league hitters (other than BA) know how to contol the strike zone, take their walks and make a young guy prove he can get multiple pitches over the plate.

Seen too many guys like Ginter and Rauch and DAnny Wright who struggled with good arms because of command.

Maybe Tracey will be the exception. But I don't think we should expect him to fix our problems immediately.

Neal Cotts was in the walk every two innings category in the minors as well... we all know how he turned out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I just want to point out that it is highly unlikely that Tracey will pitch tonight. He went 7 strong innings on July 5th where he gave up just 2 runs (1 earned) on 4 hits (he walked 2 and k'd 4)

Of course by July, Jason means June.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
Sean Tracey still has a 95 mph fastball and he's not afraid to pitch inside, right Jas?

Yeah just ask Elijah Dukes best moment of 05 when he wanted to fight Tracy and not even his teamates came to support him.

SL hitters in the 2nd half last year made Sean throw it over the plate and really got hammered. He picked up his 13th win Aug 5th and only one more the rest of the way. Gave up 10 of 13 long balls in second half. And one to Delmon Young which I don't think has landed yet. But I also seen him dominate a good Carolina lineup and tying Jeremy Hermida up in knots and dominate against Jacksonville and that was murderers row line up bottom line if Tracy can get ahead he will be fine.