Bobby Jenks

beautox

I've heard DJ say Jenks has a Knuckle Curve, and I've heard Hawk say he features two different Curveballs and a cut fastball. Bobby has also said in an interview with Chuck Garfine that he has a hard slider. So im curious what pitches does bobby have.

He also throws a regular knuckleball. It's a shame he doesn't have total confidence in all his pitches. Usually you'll see him throw his 95-101MPH fastball, his hard breaking curve, his tighter less breaking curve and his cut fastball.

He has 3 pitches that are obvious, the straight fastball in the upper 90's to around 100, a 94 to 97 cut fastball that has late movement, not like Rivera but still nasty, and that hammer at 85 that just drops out of sight. He also throws at least 2, maybe 3 other pitches sometimes...but that s*** is so nasty that I couldn't tell you what it is.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)
He has 3 pitches that are obvious, the straight fastball in the upper 90's to around 100, a 94 to 97 cut fastball that has late movement, not like Rivera but still nasty, and that hammer at 85 that just drops out of sight. He also throws at least 2, maybe 3 other pitches sometimes...but that s*** is so nasty that I couldn't tell you what it is.

Not sure, but that cutter he throws doesnt have much cut to it, it just runs in on hitters. You CANNOT see a high 90's cutter in on the hands and then a mid-80's curveball at the knees on the outside corner. It's just not fair. Thats all I can say. It's not fair.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:48 PM)
Not sure, but that cutter he throws doesnt have much cut to it, it just runs in on hitters. You CANNOT see a high 90's cutter in on the hands and then a mid-80's curveball at the knees on the outside corner. It's just not fair. Thats all I can say. It's not fair.

Agreed that his stuff is not fair. And yeah, the pitch isn't a true cutter in the sense of the word. In fact, it's really just some nasty ass pitch I've never seen before, but since it's in the mid to high 90's and has late movement towards the hitter, the cutter is the best I can come up with.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
Pitches I've seen Bobby throw:

95-102 MPH fastball

94-98 MPH cutter

87-91 MPH slider

83-86 MPH curveball

The slider is supposidly just a tighter curve that looks similar to a slider. I think when you're dealing with a guy like Jenks, it's nearly impossible to identify all of his pitches.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
The slider is supposidly just a tighter curve that looks similar to a slider. I think when you're dealing with a guy like Jenks, it's nearly impossible to identify all of his pitches.

The pitch I'm talking about has right to left break though. He threw it to get the K against Granderson yesterday and it was clocked at 87.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:34 PM)
He also throws a regular knuckleball. It's a shame he doesn't have total confidence in all his pitches. Usually you'll see him throw his 95-101MPH fastball, his hard breaking curve, his tighter less breaking curve and his cut fastball.

Jenks throws a regular knuckler? When has he done that? It would be funny to see him follow up a 100 mph fastball with a 50 mph dancing knuckler.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 11:46 PM)

yeah, i too agree its not a "true" cut fastball but has late motion and for lack of a better term will refer to it as a cut fastball. Does he feature a change? i would imagine he would. so what is that 5/6 different pitches, wow!

Bobby = Filth.

QUOTE(chaerulez @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
Jenks throws a regular knuckler? When has he done that? It would be funny to see him follow up a 100 mph fastball with a 50 mph dancing knuckler.

He's never actually thrown it in a game but he's fooled around with one before, that is what Kalapse is referring to.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
He's never actually thrown it in a game but he's fooled around with one before, that is what Kalapse is referring to.

Don't speak for me b**** . . . yeah that's what I meant.

Edited by Kalapse

I just want to say: isn't modern medicine amazing? I mean, 20 years ago, Jenks would have had trouble spooning himself breakfast after an injury like he had, and now, thanks to medicine, he's throwing a small, round, spherical object nearly 100 MPH.

It's simply amazing.

This has been an informative thread. Luckily, when his big bender is on, Bobby only needs 2 pitches: his big bender and his 98 MPH heater.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 08:59 AM)
The best part of Jenks is that nobody on SportsCenter has given him a dumb nickname (i.e. K-Rod)

A friend of mine thought his name was 'Bubba' Jenks until about 2 weeks ago, so that's what i've been calling him since then.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 7, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
The pitch I'm talking about has right to left break though. He threw it to get the K against Granderson yesterday and it was clocked at 87.

He's throwin it sparingly this year, but when he throws it, if it's in the strike zone, good lord is it nasty. I've been calling it a Slider, and I think our announcers have too. But as fast as it comes up there it could be something else I guess.

Aren't you guys glad Ozzie didn't give up on him last year or early this year? I don't know why he would, but Jenks is nasty! I am SO glad he is on our team. How the hell can you hit an 85 MPH Hammer? It's impossible!

FILTHY!