Rockies Look for Character

Link:

http://www.alternet.org/story/37193/

I am not sure if this belongs here, or in SLaM, or Buster. Admins' choice. But its quite a story, and I didn't see it elsewhere.

I'm all for finding upstanding citizens as players. But this, to me, is inappropriate, and a stupid decision business-wise. Is their losing not enough to alienate fans? Now you want to offend whole swaths of your fanbase too???

Interesting article. I was wondering the same kind of thing after hearing about certian teams looking for certian types of players in other situations, such as the Toronto Raptors looking for non-US players. Its not a big jump to see teams trying to do this in other respects.

You might think MLB Commissioner Bud Selig would have something stirring to say about this issue. But Selig, who hasn't actually registered a pulse since 1994...

:lol:

Alt translation of a well-known passage: 'I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for Todd Helton to fit through the pearly gates with all his wads of cash from that absurd fat-ass ginormous contract.'

If a bad team wants to find more ways to not improve itself, meh, more talent for the Sox, I guess.

I know a lot of high character people who aren't christian, and I know a lot of "christians" who are assholes. This is the dumbest s*** I've ever heard. Promoting good character like this I don't mind, however doing it through one specific religion is so dumb I can't even begin to explain it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
I know a lot of high character people who aren't christian, and I know a lot of "christians" who are assholes. This is the dumbest s*** I've ever heard. Promoting good character like this I don't mind, however doing it through one specific religion is so dumb I can't even begin to explain it.

You have to admit, though, that all Jews in baseball are pussies. I mean, Sandy Koufax was SO soft, always crying for days off and what-not.

I couldn't agree more that this is outragous. Jesus himself wouldn't want them to be doing this, I would guess anyways. But I kept trying and trying to find a reason to back them up and the only thing I could think of was at least they're having team unity. But you can have team unity in so many other ways. If it happens to be the same religious beliefs, then great, but don't force it.

Edited by WilliamTell

A few thoughts come to mind on this.

1. They are looking for "character" players with Christian beliefs, etc. Yet, they have Jose Mesa on the team. Wasn't that the same Jose Mesa who threatened that he would kill Omar Vizquel?

ose Mesa says he wants to kill Cleveland Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel. Those are serious words, and they're his words.

The Phillies closer said it again and again in front of his locker on Sunday, and he didn't appear to be kidding one bit.

Asked if he wanted his words in print, Mesa said, "Of course.''

Mesa says he's not worried about getting suspended by Major League Baseball. Or perhaps even getting arrested.

"Nope,'' he said. "I wanna kill him.''

2. This has to be one of the most moronic decisions I have seen a professional sports franchise make in a long time.

3. I hope they consider Brian Fuentes and Jeff Francis heathens and trade them to the Sox.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
This was mentioned on another MB, so don't flame me, but who thinks this is a little ploy to try and get some of the mormon crowds out to the game?

Well I doubt it since mormonism and christianity are entirely different and most branches of christianity consider morminism a "cult".

Chatter was that Longoria and Andrew Miller were a bit wary of this movement and justifiably so. There is nothing wrong with having Christians in the lockerroom who will help out guys who want to be helped. But when you start getting in other player's business who don't want to be involved then there is a SERIOUS problem.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Chatter was that Longoria and Andrew Miller were a bit wary of this movement and justifiably so. There is nothing wrong with having Christians in the lockerroom who will help out guys who want to be helped. But when you start getting in other player's business who don't want to be involved then there is a SERIOUS problem.

Gammons talked about this the day of the draft. I'm suprised there hasn't been much talk of this on ESPN or anything.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 07:43 PM)
No, they're not. Mormons are Christians.

Wrong. Just go to their website and the FAQ section, where the arrogant bastards literally say they aren't Christians because "they know things about Jesus that Christians don't, and thus have different beliefs".

:rolly

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
Gammons talked about this the day of the draft. I'm suprised there hasn't been much talk of this on ESPN or anything.

Boers and Bernstein had a pretty long talk about this the other day, Wednesday or Thursday i believe. It was a pretty hot topic, people were calling in to defend both sides. Bernstein took issue with the way it is forced upon the players, and he based it off of comments by Mark Sweeney of the SF Giants, who played in Colorado for 2 years. Sweeney said something to the effect of "I dont mind the practice, I am christian and it doesnt bother me that they want to have a stronger presence, I just dont like when they feel the need to search your locker for a playboy....", (not verbatim) and from quotes from the Owner that mentioned that God had a strong hand in their success. Bernstein likened the entire practice to the Friends of Christ that sprung up in the NFL(through the Jacksonville Jaguars), and asked the question "Isnt this offensive to Christians on other teams? Why would god go out of his way to help the rockies when there are practicing Christians on every team?". Very interesting calls and remarks on the show.

And as far as Mesa is concerned, not only did he threaten to kill Vizquel, but he also had a rape charge levied at him a few years back. And he drilled Vizquel again this year and was suspended for it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)
Wrong. Just go to their website and the FAQ section, where the arrogant bastards literally say they aren't Christians because "they know things about Jesus that Christians don't, and thus have different beliefs".

:rolly

A "Christian" believes Jesus Christ (of the New Testament) was the divine messiah, which is what Mormons believe. Just because they believe 'extra' things about Christ doesn't change that one bit. It's like saying that if two religions believe different things about Christ (or God in general, since it is impossible to believe that God is fundamentally different, while Christ is exactly the same), then one can't be Christian. So all Christian churches have exactly the same beliefs? Catholics believe the Eucharist IS Christ's flesh. Many other Christians believe it's symbolic. That's a pretty significant difference. So only one can be Christian?

Btw, nice misquote. Here's the full bit: "We believe in the Jesus of the New Testament, and we believe what the New Testament teaches about Him. We do believe things about Jesus that other Christians do not believe, but that is because we know, through revelation, things about Jesus that others do not know...."

Awful convenient word to 'forget'. :headshake

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
Are you sayin' Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

No, Cerrano did.

Pedro Cerrano: Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

Eddie Harris: You know you might think about taking Jesus Christ as your savior instead of fooling around with all this stuff.

Roger Dorn: s***, Harris.

Pedro Cerrano: Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball.

Eddie Harris: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:09 AM)
What is the problem between Vizquel and Mesa?

They had, um, "Words" after Cleveland lost the world series and Mesa blew the save in game 7. Vizquel called him a "choker" in a book or something like that, Mesa pledged to hit him every time they faced, and also supposedly threatened to kill him.