Ozzie is a classy guy

wilmot825

I must say out of all managers in baseball, Ozzie is the classiest of them all. He calls out players but he gets results and they love him. He respects the game and the way its played, and is offended if someone does something to wreck the MLB name. Most recent, he said he would give Maggs a All-Star roster spot and puttin aside his little feud with the former Sox outfielder. Through it all, Ozzie is one of the best we have seen in many years. I hope he stays a long LONG time her in Chicago. Thats my 2 cents :gosox1:

Ozzie is a good manager, yes. The fact that he isn't classy is one of the things that makes him endearing to fans and players.

When I think of 'great' managers, I think of Tommy Lasorda, Sparky Anderson, Whitey Herzog, maybe I'd put Tony LaRussa and Lou Piniella in that group.

What Ozzie does not have that all of these do is a long career of sustained success. If Ozzie puts together another decade and a half of seasons like last one, he'll be in this group as well.

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
I don't think classy is a word I would use for Ozzie I would say he has respect for the game. And I would say he is a great player manager but I would not rate him as a great in game manager just yet.

What the heck is a great "in game manager" and why is it important to be one? Didn't we learn last year that it's most important to be an "in season manager"? Don't you think Ozzie has shown he's great at managing a group of players through-out an entire season?

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't think classy is a word I would use for Ozzie I would say he has respect for the game. And I would say he is a great player manager but I would not rate him as a great in game manager just yet.

Agreed on all counts.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Ozzie is a good manager, yes. The fact that he isn't classy is one of the things that makes him endearing to fans and players.

When I think of 'great' managers, I think of Tommy Lasorda, Sparky Anderson, Whitey Herzog, maybe I'd put Tony LaRussa and Lou Piniella in that group.

What Ozzie does not have that all of these do is a long career of sustained success. If Ozzie puts together another decade and a half of seasons like last one, he'll be in this group as well.

That is one sweet sig

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 8, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
What the heck is a great "in game manager" and why is it important to be one? Didn't we learn last year that it's most important to be an "in season manager"? Don't you think Ozzie has shown he's great at managing a group of players through-out an entire season?

^^^