update on duke rape case

samclemens

I spent some time in North Carolina recently, and from what I was told by different media members is that everyone in the area knows the allegations are a bunch of bulls***, but the media just can't come out and say it without causing an uproar.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
just to remind everyone, yes, this case is complete b.s.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1185/story/448437.html

Really..ya just figured that out..and who was really pushing this non-news story? All your MSM along with countless other non-news stories. How local issues become National news in beyond me. Seems to be a way for them "MSM" to not do their jobs of investigative reporting. I am certain many of you could give an example of a real National news issue that was only skimmed then never heard of again while theses types of BS stories run for months and months. The MSM create this crap and pump it out 24/7.

These boys will never be looked at the same again and it is ALL the MSM fault!

i think the black panthers and jesse jackson owe those boys an apology. the boys may be scumbags, but this is trumped up by almost all accounts. one thing is for sure, they wont get any apologies from nifong, who used them for his campaign.

does anyone know what is going on with that DA race in Durham? i dont have time to look it up right now.

As always, the story here depends on who's reporting it.

Both women had been hired to perform at the party as strippers. In an April interview, Roberts said she initially doubted the accuser's story but had changed her mind.

"I was not in the bathroom when it happened, so I can't say a rape occurred — and I never will," Roberts said. But she added, "In all honesty, I think they're guilty."

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
:huh Not really. That quote is well known now. The stories agree completely on the new (to the public) evidence, it seems to me.

Yeah, but if she's out there saying now that she thinks they're guilty, then her old statement as evidence basically becomes pretty useless.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 07:06 PM)
Yeah, but if she's out there saying now that she thinks they're guilty, then her old statement as evidence basically becomes pretty useless.

No, for 2 reasons. First, the newer statement gives no basis for her belief. The older statement included a factual statement (that they were only separated for five minutes or so) that casts doubt on the accuser's story, whatever the companion's personal opinion is. Second, because 'reasonable doubt' is the standard, any evidence that increases doubt is relevant, and certainly her statement does that.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 11:39 PM)
No, for 2 reasons. First, the newer statement gives no basis for her belief. The older statement included a factual statement (that they were only separated for five minutes or so) that casts doubt on the accuser's story, whatever the companion's personal opinion is. Second, because 'reasonable doubt' is the standard, any evidence that increases doubt is relevant, and certainly her statement does that.

This case has so much 'reasonable doubt' you can drive a mack truck through it. And then some. But it doesn't matter, the 'rich kids got what they deserved'. Screw every one of you that think that way.

QUOTE(IggyD @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
Really..ya just figured that out..and who was really pushing this non-news story? All your MSM along with countless other non-news stories. How local issues become National news in beyond me. Seems to be a way for them "MSM" to not do their jobs of investigative reporting. I am certain many of you could give an example of a real National news issue that was only skimmed then never heard of again while theses types of BS stories run for months and months. The MSM create this crap and pump it out 24/7.

These boys will never be looked at the same again and it is ALL the MSM fault!

We agree on something. Now the sky is REALLY falling.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
i think the black panthers and jesse jackson owe those boys an apology. the boys may be scumbags, but this is trumped up by almost all accounts. one thing is for sure, they wont get any apologies from nifong, who used them for his campaign.

does anyone know what is going on with that DA race in Durham? i dont have time to look it up right now.

He should be recalled and busted out of his job for incompetence. Thats what SHOULD happen.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
This case has so much 'reasonable doubt' you can drive a mack truck through it. And then some. But it doesn't matter, the 'rich kids got what they deserved'. Screw every one of you that think that way.

I think I'm not on the jury, and I think I'm not a lawyer. And I think I'm several states away from the case. I think its a decision best left up to the judge and jury and not me.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 01:53 AM)
I think I'm not on the jury, and I think I'm not a lawyer. And I think I'm several states away from the case. I think its a decision best left up to the judge and jury and not me.

If only you'd use this philosophy when it comes to dealing with terrorists.

I know your point is ... that it's not been tried. But damn... seriously, the amount of stuff that's been released, including the DNA evidence and the inconsistencies of all the people ... there's virtually no way that this gets a conviction. And rightly so.

What bothers me about this case is the same thing that bothers me about the Aruba chick. It's one case that affects nobody outside of the town that it took place in and as the narrative of the story goes - "she's full of s***" so does a lot of attitudes regarding other women who are most likely legitimately reporting a rape. In the mean time people get so focused on something like this that they loose track of stories and news that has the power to affect them personally.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
What bothers me about this case is the same thing that bothers me about the Aruba chick. It's one case that affects nobody outside of the town that it took place in and as the narrative of the story goes - "she's full of s***" so does a lot of attitudes regarding other women who are most likely legitimately reporting a rape. In the mean time people get so focused on something like this that they loose track of stories and news that has the power to affect them personally.

That's very true. But what about the kids whose lives are totally screwed up for the rest of their lives, over something (that looks like that) didn't happen?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
That's very true. But what about the kids whose lives are totally screwed up for the rest of their lives, over something (that looks like that) didn't happen?

That doesn't matter when the persons in question are rich, white kids.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
Here's my question: how is us talking about it all the time, thousands of miles away, going to bring their lives back to normal?

It's something that should have never been talked about in the first place, which is just about everyone's point.

It was a bulls*** case, from the beginning, and it should have never gone past that night. But, you had a D/A, looking for political and racial motivation, who APPEARS (I'll just put it nicely for now) to have used this to get attention for a re-election campaign.

I think the point is not that the DA indicted someone, it's that the DA went ballistic with the media interviews, and that's at least part of the reason this became such a big story. If he had shut up and indicted, maybe it wouldn't have been such a hotbutton issue. Maybe it would have been, we'll never know. But his publicity-seeking couldn't have helped.

Also, he doesn't really have a corroborating witness, but that's getting too far back into the details...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I think the point is not that the DA indicted someone, it's that the DA went ballistic with the media interviews, and that's at least part of the reason this became such a big story. If he had shut up and indicted, maybe it wouldn't have been such a hotbutton issue. Maybe it would have been, we'll never know. But his publicity-seeking couldn't have helped.

Also, he doesn't really have a corroborating witness, but that's getting too far back into the details...

Yes. Exactly the point.