Leyritz admits Amphetimine Use

Balta1701

Oh, Jolly. Remember that home run against the Braves? You gotta wonder.

Leyritz, who broke into the big leagues in 1990 with the Yankees, played 11 seasons in the majors with six different teams.

"I came in. I was hung over, sleeping by my locker. And all of a sudden, [Don] Mattingly came to me and said, 'Hey, you're in the lineup.' And I went, 'What?' He goes, 'Yeah, I just hurt my back.'

"Now I'm walking around, I'm going, 'I don't know how I'm going to do this. There's no way that I can go play this game today.' I ran into my teammate who I knew had some of the 'little helpers,' as they called them.

"He said, 'Take one of these. It should help. It'll take the edge off.'

"So sure enough, I took one. He goes, 'OK, you can take two, but no more than two.' So I popped one more, and I went out and went 3-for-4 with two homers."

According to retrosheet.org, Leyritz is referencing a Saturday, June 30 game in 1990 against the White Sox, where he went 3-for-5 with two homers and four RBI.

Edited by Balta1701

God damn it... I knew something wasn't right that day.

Actaully, I am surprised at the date: 1990. Thats further back than I thought all this really went.

Makes you wonder how this type of thing could be going on from 1990 on and the league didn't do anything about it until 2005

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Actaully, I am surprised at the date: 1990. Thats further back than I thought all this really went.

Makes you wonder how this type of thing could be going on from 1990 on and the league didn't do anything about it until 2005

This stuff has been going on forever. There are claims, by former players, that even the great Willy Mays was a speed user. The player saw the bottle in Mays's locker.

Here is a article in the NY Times that touches on it for a paragraph:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...th&pagewanted=1

Edited by Shamrock4Life

Am I the only one who doesn't really care about amphetimine use? That s*** is just going to f*** up their health in the long run, hell enjoy the heart problems later on along with Kidney and Liver problems that go along with it.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
Honestly I dont care if someone takes Amphetimines, its not a big deal...Steroids are 10 times worse

How do you figure? They're both detrimental to one's health in the long run, steroids provide the strength and recovery time to effectively produce better numbers, however amphetamines keep players in the lineup and cut down on the fatigue a player has throughout the year so that they can have good numbers. Both are also illegal.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
How do you figure? They're both detrimental to one's health in the long run, steroids provide the strength and recovery time to effectively produce better numbers, however amphetamines keep players in the lineup and cut down on the fatigue a player has throughout the year so that they can have good numbers. Both are also illegal.

Some people feel that amphetamines, or greenies, differ from steroids/HGH in that greenies don't give you abilities beyond your normal limits-- they get the fog of a hangover off a player and return him to his normal abilities for a game, where steroids and HGH actually change the player's body and therefore his ability to perform, and they promote quick healing of injuries that the body could not achieve on its own.

That's why steroids/HGH are referred to as performance enhancers and greenies are just drugs, like painkillers, etc.

Not saying that one is bad and the other good, just trying to explain the distinction that some people make.

Greenies, BTW, are mentioned in Jim Bouton's "Ball Four", which was written about the 1969 baseball season, and even in Mark Harris's novel "Bang the Drum Slowly" which was written about the 1956 baseball season. Greenies have been a forever fact of life in MLB since before most people on this board were even born. Again, that doesn't make them right, but they aren't the 'better living through chemistry' news that steroids/HGH are.

Leyritz also said he was hungover and Mattingly told him he was playing for him that day. According to the box score the game Leyritz hit 2 homers against the Sox, Mattingly was playing 1st base. Sounds like a little fabricating a la David Wells and his alledged hangover when he pitched a perfect game to me. I have no doubt Leyritz used greenies, but I do doubt the first time he used them he was hungover sleeping in the clubhouse, took a couple and hit 2 home runs.

Brady Anderson...

___HR_SLG%

'92: 21 .449

'93: 13 .425 -8 HR

'94: 12 .419 -1 HR

'95: 16 .444 +4 HR

'96: 50 .637 +34 HR

'97: 18 .469 -32 HR

'98: 18 .420 NC

'99: 24 .477 +6 HR

'00: 19 .421 -5 HR

'01: 8 .300

'02: 1 .250

A 34 HR spike and a .193 SLG% spike. A small little leadoff hitter for the Baltimore Orioles suddenly hits 50 HRs.

andersonbrady13if.jpg

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
There's no arguing his usage. The kidney failure and near death speaks loud and clear.

Oh there's not denying it, I just cut and pasted that from the Spartaro (clemens/Damon) thread for visual effect.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
Honestly I dont care if someone takes Amphetimines, its not a big deal...Steroids are 10 times worse

Amphetamines can be pretty freaking bad for your health as well.

And speaking of players who obviously used performance-enhancing drugs, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Brett Boone.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:34 PM)
Amphetamines can be pretty freaking bad for your health as well.

And speaking of players who obviously used performance-enhancing drugs, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Brett Boone.

I didn't know we were making a list.

QUOTE(Pauly8509CWS @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)

I agree, I think it's probably too common (with the clubhouse having 2 pots of coffee with one being marked for amphetimine), or that it's not related to muscle strength, and the big deal about the steroids is the HR numbers, but as we know steroids can be just as effective for a player without numbers, and both make it an unlevel playing field (but this is baseball, where every player looks for any advantage they can)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
There's no arguing his usage. The kidney failure and near death speaks loud and clear.

I didn't realize Anderson had all those problems afterwords. I rooted for him because he was one of the few players ever to come out of UCI (local college). Of course now we just drafted one in the MLB draft and promoted "THE SEAN TRACEY".

QUOTE(3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
I agree, I think it's probably too common (with the clubhouse having 2 pots of coffee with one being marked for amphetimine), or that it's not related to muscle strength, and the big deal about the steroids is the HR numbers, but as we know steroids can be just as effective for a player without numbers, and both make it an unlevel playing field (but this is baseball, where every player looks for any advantage they can)

Ya, that coffee pot thing was disturbing. I hope it was an exaggeration, but it probably was relatively accurate and its something I hope MLB puts a major crackdown on. Sure, it won't have an effect on the game, but at the same time its a disgusting thing for people to do and I'd like to stop living in my fantasy world that says most athletes are quality people off the field (ie making it a reality).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Ya, that coffee pot thing was disturbing. I hope it was an exaggeration, but it probably was relatively accurate and its something I hope MLB puts a major crackdown on. Sure, it won't have an effect on the game, but at the same time its a disgusting thing for people to do and I'd like to stop living in my fantasy world that says most athletes are quality people off the field (ie making it a reality).

The coffee pot thing has been reported by like a dozen different players thus far, here, the Grimsley one, etc. Either it's more than just relatively accurate, or it's like those alien abduction reports, where the first report gets read and then everyone else copies the description.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 9, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Some people feel that amphetamines, or greenies, differ from steroids/HGH in that greenies don't give you abilities beyond your normal limits-- they get the fog of a hangover off a player and return him to his normal abilities for a game, where steroids and HGH actually change the player's body and therefore his ability to perform, and they promote quick healing of injuries that the body could not achieve on its own.

If it was in your normal ability, you wouldn't need speed to give something to you...