Uribe

shoota

It's a hard thing to say after his amazing plays to record the last two outs of the World Series, but he needs to be benched.

The reason he's still playing is because of his defense, and when he makes dumb plays like he did tonight, his value lessens.

I'm comfortable in betting that he has peaked as a hitter and will never have a Crede-like turnaround where he will hit much better than he is now. So since he can't hit and never will, and Cintron can, Uribe must lose his starting position to Cintron.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You suck at being a Sox fan. So Uribe's your new Crede? :bang

Haven't you noticed we're a defensive team first? Have you noticed that our pitching staff has been lagging with some of the recent defensive troubles?

For a guy that sucks at baseball, he sure had a pretty good 04 at the plate. He also lead our team in sacrifices last year and was near the top, in all of baseball, at productive outs. Sure, he's struggling right now. You don't abandon the anchor of your IF defense for a few points in .AVE.

Cintron's a UT player for a reason. He's not very good defensively. He can't take a walk to save his life. He has speed but can't steal a base. He's not good enough to oust Uribe.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
You suck at being a Sox fan. So Uribe's your new Crede? :bang

Haven't you noticed we're a defensive team first? Have you noticed that our pitching staff has been lagging with some of the recent defensive troubles?

For a guy that sucks at baseball, he sure had a pretty good 04 at the plate. He also lead our team in sacrifices last year and was near the top, in all of baseball, at productive outs. Sure, he's struggling right now. You don't abandon the anchor of your IF defense for a few points in .AVE.

Cintron's a UT player for a reason. He's not very good defensively. He can't take a walk to save his life. He has speed but can't steal a base. He's not good enough to oust Uribe.

Please provide a link to the productive out stat.

I can see Iguchi near the top of the league in productive outs, but not Uribe.

The argument that the Sox are a defensive team first is poor. If Cintron's offense helps the team more than Uribe's defense, Cintron should be the starter. Of course that's hard to compare, but became quite easy to evaluate over the past week.

You say Uribe shouldn't be unseated because of Cintron's few points in batting average but do not mention Cintron's two game-winning hits in the past week.

My opinion of Uribe is not just based on numbers. His batting approach is frustrating as s***. He doesn't work a count, draw walks or have a plan at the plate. He's still trying to "get off the island."

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
Link please.

I can see Iguchi near the top of the league in productive outs, but not Uribe.

The argument that the Sox are a defensive team first is poor. If Cintron's offense helps the team more than Uribe's defense, Cintron should be the starter. Of course that's hard to compare, but became quite easy to evaluate over the past week.

You say Uribe shouldn't be unseated because of Cintron's few points in batting average but do not mention Cintron's two game-winning hits in the past week.

My opinion of Uribe is not just based on numbers. His batting approach is frustrating as s***. He doesn't work a count, draw walks or have a plan at the plate. He's still trying to "get off the island."

Last season Uribe was very good at getting the sac fly and making productive outs. Obviously this year that hasn't been the case as he's been flailing so far out in front of every stinking pitch thrown to him. His approach at the plate is worse than Anderson's and that says something.

At least Anderson has the excuse of being a rookie. Uribe really needs to get that leg tap/kick back because it was the timing mechanism that helped him stay back on the ball. We need Juan to get things figured out because even when he's a mediocre hitter (which he's not donig right now), he's one of the premier defensive ss's in the league (although lately it seems his mind has been on his funk).

We don't have anything else that can be an everyday starting SS (Cintron isn't good enough defensively to play everyday, imo, at least not on a world series caliber team).

Uribe is a defensive asset on the field. I don't know what's going through his head that he's making defensive miscues -- whether it is his struggles at the plate or if it is because his wife was pregnant and just recently gave birth or what -- but he's got a better glove than Cintron can ever dream of having.

Uribe needs to get back in the habit of doing the leg kick at the plate. It is mechanics that most likely can be fixed at the plate and nothing we need to 'Chicken Little' about. It is a fun new mantra and people need to start saying it: Bench players are not everyday players, bench players are not everyday players...

There's a reason that we have moderately good bench players and it is called depth.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
He is making a suggestion that he believes would make the team better. Yeah, what a s***ty fan.

He also has a well known history of making completely obsessive posts about particular players that are not only negative, but downright creepy.

@Shoota...

One of your points is that Uribe doesn't work counts? Look at Alex f***in Cintron's numbers. I'm sorry, but a couple big games doesn't make Cintron better.

I wish we could ask our pitching staff who they want at short.

Finally, the offensive production of your SS (8th hole) isn't nearly as important as his defensive production. Sure, Uribe's had some lapses recently, but he's so much better than Cintron (or most in baseball) that it's not even comparable.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Finally, the offensive production of your SS (8th hole) isn't nearly as important as his defensive production. Sure, Uribe's had some lapses recently, but he's so much better than Cintron (or most in baseball) that it's not even comparable.

Production out of the eighth spot is important now because we have no production out of the ninth spot...or the first spot really. Someone at the bottom has to drive in runs occassionaly and it hasn't been Uribe. Second, it's been clear that Uribe has been taking his bat into the field with him this season. While he is a better player than Contron, he has not been more productive or helpful this season. Uribe has made some great plays, but has made a lot of mental mistakes too. No, Cintron cannot be an everyday player, but Uribe has to get going, otherwise I'd rather see Cintron get a few extra at-bats.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
He also has a well known history of making completely obsessive posts about particular players that are not only negative, but downright creepy.

@Shoota...

One of your points is that Uribe doesn't work counts? Look at Alex f***in Cintron's numbers. I'm sorry, but a couple big games doesn't make Cintron better.

I wish we could ask our pitching staff who they want at short.

I love the caveats you use in defense of Uribe: He's GOOD...for an 8th place hitter; He's GOOD...if we're only counting defense; Uribe's Good...when compared to a bench player.

Your pitching staff point is weak because you're assuming Sox pitchers value greater than average defense over additional offense. Your statement ignores that pitchers do enjoy run support and racking Ws.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
I love the caveats you use in defense of Uribe: He's GOOD...for an 8th place hitter; He's GOOD...if we're only counting defense; Uribe's Good...when compared to a bench player.

So, we're supposed to permanently replace him with Cintron? LOL, that's a joke. How about A-Rod? Or Tejada? :wacko:

Your pitching staff point is weak because you're assuming Sox pitchers value greater than average defense over additional offense. Your statement ignores that pitchers do enjoy run support and racking Ws.

Apparently you weren't paying attention last season. Our offense was below-average last year (9th in the league in runs scored and 11th in OBP), yet we dominated because of pitching and defense. This season, the Sox rank 4th in the AL in runs scored, 6th in OBP, and 4th in slugging. The pitching staff is getting plenty of run support.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
So, we're supposed to permanently replace him with Cintron? LOL, that's a joke. How about A-Rod? Or Tejada? :wacko:

Apparently you weren't paying attention last season. Our offense was below-average last year (9th in the league in runs scored and 11th in OBP), yet we dominated because of pitching and defense. This season, the Sox rank 4th in the AL in runs scored, 6th in OBP, and 4th in slugging. The pitching staff is getting plenty of run support.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to this season. The pitching part of the pitching and defense equation is worse than it was last year, therefore your reasoning is as solid as water.

Besides that, no matter how good a team is, if there is a way to make it better, like switching a starting SS with a backup, you do it.

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
yeah, f*** defense lets outslug em with ALEX CINTRON

When the alternative is Juan Uribe, that's a good idea.

Uribe made another defensive miscue today, failing to throw accurately to Konerko to complete what should have been a routine double play.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Apparently you haven't been paying attention to this season. The pitching part of the pitching and defense equation is worse than it was last year, therefore your reasoning is as solid as water.

Again, the Sox are 4th in the league in runs scored. If anything needs fixing, it's the back of the rotation, the middle relief, and Anderson's hitting. Uribe's bat is not the problem.

Given that Uribe's career OPS is higher than Cintron's and that he's a much better SS, I'd say that you're the one with the piss-poor reasoning. Cintron is NOT an upgrade over Uribe. The title of your post (" Uribe, sucks at baseball") is further evidence of your lack of baseball knowledge.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:13 AM)
It's a hard thing to say after his amazing plays to record the last two outs of the World Series, but he needs to be benched.

The reason he's still playing is because of his defense, and when he makes dumb plays like he did tonight, his value lessens.

I'm comfortable in betting that he has peaked as a hitter and will never have a Crede-like turnaround where he will hit much better than he is now. So since he can't hit and never will, and Cintron can, Uribe must lose his starting position to Cintron.

I shouldn't be shocked after your post on Crede, but wow...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
So we're halfway around the infield now.

I'm assuming Tadahito Iguchi will be the next to feel shoota's wrath?

He was getting close before today's game, but I think he's earned a bit of a reprieve.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
Again, the Sox are 4th in the league in runs scored. If anything needs fixing, it's the back of the rotation, the middle relief, and Anderson's hitting. Uribe's bat is not the problem.

Given that Uribe's career OPS is higher than Cintron's and that he's a much better SS, I'd say that you're the one with the piss-poor reasoning. Cintron is NOT an upgrade over Uribe. The title of your post (" Uribe, sucks at baseball") is further evidence of your lack of baseball knowledge.

I'm sorry, but "the White Sox are 4th in runs scored" or "the White Sox have the second best record in baseball" arguements are bulls*** ones to use in defense of Uribe or Anderson's pathetic offensive production. Did it ever occur to you that the White Sox would be FIRST in runs scored or have the BEST record in baseball if either of these s***faces could hit their f***ing weight? Did it ever? At least Anderson's defense has been superb.......Uribe, on the other hand, cost them the Sunday Cubs game and nearly cost them yesterday's game. The only thing he has been good at lately is impregnating his wife.

Edited by MSHAWKS

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
I'm sorry, but "the White Sox are 4th in runs scored" or "the White Sox have the second best record in baseball" arguements are bulls*** ones to use in defense of Uribe or Anderson's pathetic offensive production. Did it ever occur to you that the White Sox would be FIRST in runs scored or have the BEST record in baseball if either of these s***faces could hit their f***ing weight? Did it ever? At least Anderson's defense has been superb.......Uribe, on the other hand, cost them the Sunday Cubs game and nearly cost them yesterday's game. The only thing he has been good at lately is impregnating his wife.

Awesome.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
So we're halfway around the infield now.

I'm assuming Tadahito Iguchi will be the next to feel shoota's wrath?

Pauly grounded into a double play today, so I'm guessing a "Paul Konerko is overrated" thread is next. Either that, or a thread bashing Hawk and DJ for not recognizing this fact.