Uribe

shoota

This thread is one of my all-time favorites. But seriously, whether or not Juan Uribe sucks or not, he really does need to recognize that no one will ever throw him a first pitch fastball. So he should stop looking for them, then swinging at the inevitable changeup that does arrive on the first pitch, and popping it straight up.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put it this way... how ever much better cintron's offense is over uribe's is not greater than uribe's defense over cintron's. Not even close. Stick with cintron and you will see his head being called for when he has two errors that cost the sox and goes 1-14 in a three games span.

Same goes for mackowiak and anderson... and i really am not a fan of anderson.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:12 AM)
Put it this way... how ever much better cintron's offense is over uribe's is not greater than uribe's defense over cintron's. Not even close. Stick with cintron and you will see his head being called for when he has two errors that cost the sox and goes 1-14 in a three games span.

Same goes for mackowiak and anderson... and i really am not a fan of anderson.

Thank you qwerty. BTW, we definately haven't seen enough of you around these parts lately...

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
Yeah, tell me about it. This place needs more qwerty.

The quietest he's ever been in soxtalk, which isn't good considering he will be the future holder of soxtalks' post record (over Mike.) :D

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:08 PM)
Pauly grounded into a double play today, so I'm guessing a "Paul Konerko is overrated" thread is next. Either that, or a thread bashing Hawk and DJ for not recognizing this fact.

How come those with differing opinions than me on the topic of Juan Uribe write posts questioning my baseball intelligence and/or putting ridiculous opinions into my mouth instead of stating your case for Juan Uribe.

My guess: no one can defend such a bad player, so instead attempt to diminish my credibility by tieing me to ridiculous claims like, "Paul Konerko is overrated" and, "I'm assuming Tadahito Iguchi will be the next to feel shoota's wrath?"--two completely false statements that I've never stated.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
How come those with differing opinions than me on the topic of Juan Uribe write posts questioning my baseball intelligence

Maybe if you didn't put such a stupid-ass title like Uribe, sucks at baseball and the other varieties of head scratchers you post of might have something to do with it.. ;)

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
My guess: no one can defend such a bad player, so instead attempt to diminish my credibility by tieing me to ridiculous claims like, "Paul Konerko is overrated" and, "I'm assuming Tadahito Iguchi will be the next to feel shoota's wrath?"--two completely false statements that I've never stated.

Or they're mocking the fickle reasoning behind your dislike of certain players. Especially considering the fact that the real knocks against those players are existent and you just haven't conveyed a moderately coherent or respectable way of using those points to argue. Instead you're acting like remaining adamant and close-minded about your opinion is simply enough to be right. But that's just my guess.

Edited by jenksd

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
I don't want to start a thread on this and get blasted, but is anybody else shocked

that Frank Thomas is suddenly having a good year?

He's at 16 hrs and counting I believe.

I don't think you'd find many posters on this board that doubted whether or not Frank could still hit the long ball. But the same issue most of us had while he was here the last 3 years, is the same thing thats going on in Oakland.....its homer or bust for Frank. That .235 BA he is sporting, and 4...FOUR doubles he has this year further back that up.

Hes focused on that magical 500 number, and is sacrificing alot of his game from years past in order to do so.

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Or they're mocking the fickle reasoning behind your dislike of certain players. Especially considering the fact that the real knocks against those players are existent and you just haven't conveyed a moderately coherent or respectable way of using those points to argue. Instead you're acting like remaining adamant and close-minded about your opinion is simply enough to be right. But that's just my guess.

That's a possible explaination for my behavior, but doesn't account for the behavior of other posters who used an ad hominem attack instead of stating their case for Juan Uribe.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 11:12 PM)
That's a possible explaination for my behavior, but doesn't account for the behavior of other posters who used an ad hominem attack instead of stating their case for Juan Uribe.

You fling crap, you get crap flinged back at you.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
How come those with differing opinions than me on the topic of Juan Uribe write posts questioning my baseball intelligence and/or putting ridiculous opinions into my mouth instead of stating your case for Juan Uribe.

HAHA. :lol:

QUOTE(Damen @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
After BA's night, I think it's fair to say that Juan Uribe is officially the worst offensive player on the team right now.

Wait... after a .150 hitter has ONE good night, suddenly he leaps past a .200 hitter? A little pre-mature, no? I mean, neither of them have much to be proud of offensively, but let's have some perspective here.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:34 PM)
Maybe if you didn't put such a stupid-ass title like Uribe, sucks at baseball and the other varieties of head scratchers you post of might have something to do with it.. ;)

DING!

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)

DING!

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)

See below answer. If you want to engage in an intelligent conversation, something as simple as an intelligent thread title is a good start...

QUOTE(jenksd @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
You fling crap, you get crap flinged back at you.

DING!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:16 AM)
Wait... after a .150 hitter has ONE good night, suddenly he leaps past a .200 hitter? A little pre-mature, no? I mean, neither of them have much to be proud of offensively, but let's have some perspective here.

AB H 2B 3B HR R RBI SB CS SO BB HBP SH SF IBB GDP BA OBA SLG

Anderson 129 21 2 0 5 17 15 2 1 43 16 1 1 2 0 1 .163 .257 .295

Uribe 174 34 6 1 4 15 18 0 1 32 6 2 2 2 1 4 .195 .228 .310

Uribe has a higher average, but Anderson cancels that out with a higher OBP. And despite 45 fewer at-bats, Anderson's numbers compare pretty closely to Uribe. If I'm Juan Uribe's new son right now, I don't know if I'd want to be named after my father.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:34 AM)
AB H 2B 3B HR R RBI SB CS SO BB HBP SH SF IBB GDP BA OBA SLG

Anderson 129 21 2 0 5 17 15 2 1 43 16 1 1 2 0 1 .163 .257 .295

Uribe 174 34 6 1 4 15 18 0 1 32 6 2 2 2 1 4 .195 .228 .310

Uribe has a higher average, but Anderson cancels that out with a higher OBP. And despite 45 fewer at-bats, Anderson's numbers compare pretty closely to Uribe. If I'm Juan Uribe's new son right now, I don't know if I'd want to be named after my father.

If we are talking about offense, regardless of position, I'd still take Uribe. But in the long run, things may change. If Uribe continues to be stubborn in his hitting style, and Anderson "figures it out", then Anderson may win out. But for now, Uribe is more valuable offensively.

I just hope that Uribe DOES make the necessary changes (he drive the ball really well when he stays down and back), and that Anderson DOES figure it out (he can hit the ball really hard when his timing is right).

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)
Once Uribe puts together a solid week at the plate all this will go bye-bye.

How quickly some forget the last two outs of the world series.

You're right. Too bad we're in the middle of June and we've yet to see Uribe put together a solid week at the plate. And on top of that, his defense hasn't exactly been Uribe-esque either. If I were to rank my list of disappointing players as of today, and I am right about to, Uribe will be right at the top.

My Top 5 Disappointing Players as of Today

1. Uribe

2. Politte

3. Garcia

4. Garland

5. Anderson

Wow. Some things never change. Every time one player on this team is successful at one area and fails at another, or even fails totally for a time, everyone says "bench him," or "trade him," or "he sucks." yeah, then when he hits a game winning home run or makes a spectacular play, he's awesome again.

Shoota, since you are looking at Juan's production now and are not giving a damn about his past success, I am waiting for your inevitable thread that says we have to trade Garland right away. BTW, Juan's madew some bad plays lately, but hey, I believe Crede has made a few errors as of late, whether that's because of his back or not. I am so sick of people attacking a player like this for these reasons, esepecially when it hasn't been that long.

BTW, this team highlighted pitching and defense last year and quite a few guys had hitting slumps at one time or another, and I DO believe the team wants to keep it based on defense and pitching because that's what wins games. To suggest Cintron over Uribe permanently at all based soley on offense is ridiculous. Look at Pods at the start of this season. He was horrible. He had a long stretch of absolutely nothing. We were hearing the same thing. Then he started getting hot, and WOW! HE'S AWESOME! Christ. And I'm not just talking to shoota, I'm talking to a lot of people here that act this way. Try actually being a fan, and by that, I mean a real, faithful, open-minded fan, not some quick tempered bandwagoner who wants to get rid of soembody as soon as they make some mistakes.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
I am waiting for your inevitable thread that says we have to trade Garland right away.

Except we should trade Garland. Unfortunetly, he has a no trade clause, which makes that difficult to do.

We should have traded Garland this offseason before the new bloated contract.

I'm a firm believer in his incredible league averageness as a pitcher. He's young, healthy, and eats innings though, which might make some team make a move for him--if not for that damn no trade clause.

He's fine as our 5th starter though.