WhiteSox History...

JoshPR

If you guys don't like these posts please let me know, And I'll cut them short.

WhiteSox History 1952

Having introduced the "Go-Go Sox" to the south side of Chicago the previous season, manager Paul Richards' second year at the helm produced an identical 81-73 record but another step up in the standings from fourth to third. Without any .300 hitters and only one 15 game winner (Lefty Billy Pierce, 15-12), the performance was remarkable. After a slow start the Sox started rolling in June, winning 24 of 34 games in one stretch and held to as late as July 11th. The came a rugged eastern swing that produced 9 losses in 10 games and eventually a slide into sixth before a strong finish earned the Sox third place.

Second Baseman Nelson Fox and Firstbaseman Eddie Robinson were the top Hitters (.296) with Robinson hitting 22 homers and producing a club high 104 RBI's. Minnie Minoso (.281) also had 22 stolen bases to go with his 13 homers. Joe Dobson (14-10), Saul Rogovin (14-9) and Marv Grissom (12-10) were other Winning Pitchers

A book my aunt picked up for me in a Flea Market. It made by Topps the baseball card company has a saml recap of the seasons since 1952 and the cards that go with them. I'll try to post one everyday

I remember that team very well. Chico Carrasquel was at short. Lots of talent, but the team really did not know how to win against the Yanks. In 1955 they were probably the best team in the league -- I think they finished two games out-going by memory here. f***ing Yogi kicked our ass in the clutch. In 1956 Aparicio came up and you could see the team was getting better. Then Landis came up. Terrific center fielder. Nellie kept getting better. You young guys on this board have no idea the advantage the Yanks had over the rest of the league in those days. Do you even know about the phony, illegal relationship they had with the old KC A's back then? Crooked as Hell. The revenue arrangement with national TV? Shameful. If you want to know the story, let me know. Anyway, they kept improving, peaking in 1959. In those days the Yanks would come to town and Comiskey was PACKED. They were literally standing in all the aisles. Literally. We're talking sardines. We're talking LOUD. Someday that attitude will come back.

A book my aunt picked up for me in a Flea Market. It made by Topps the baseball card company has a saml recap of the seasons since 1952 and the cards that go with them. I'll try to post one everyday

Thanks for the history tidbits (in advance), Josh.

btw... any news on the WXing site going back up any time soon, and are you even planning on going back there? I've grown to like this place quite a bit more... faster, more reliable....

I remember that team very well.  Chico Carrasquel was at short.  Lots of talent, but the team really did not know how to win against the Yanks.  In 1955 they were probably the best team in the league -- I think they finished two games out-going by memory here.  f***ing Yogi kicked our ass in the clutch.  In 1956 Aparicio came up and you could see the team was getting better.  Then Landis came up.  Terrific center fielder.  Nellie kept getting better.  You young guys on this board have no idea the advantage the Yanks had over the rest of the league in those days. Do you even know about the phony, illegal relationship they had with the old KC A's back then?  Crooked as Hell.  The revenue arrangement with national TV?  Shameful.  If you want to know the story, let me know.  Anyway, they kept improving, peaking in 1959.  In those days the Yanks would come to town and Comiskey was PACKED.  They were literally standing in all the aisles.  Literally.  We're talking sardines.  We're talking LOUD.  Someday that attitude will come back.

Ahhhh Don't panic my Friend all those years are in up comming posts.

Jtc, Don't know

I remember that team very well.  Chico Carrasquel was at short.  Lots of talent, but the team really did not know how to win against the Yanks.  In 1955 they were probably the best team in the league -- I think they finished two games out-going by memory here.  f***ing Yogi kicked our ass in the clutch.  In 1956 Aparicio came up and you could see the team was getting better.  Then Landis came up.  Terrific center fielder.  Nellie kept getting better.  You young guys on this board have no idea the advantage the Yanks had over the rest of the league in those days. Do you even know about the phony, illegal relationship they had with the old KC A's back then?  Crooked as Hell.  The revenue arrangement with national TV?  Shameful.  If you want to know the story, let me know.  Anyway, they kept improving, peaking in 1959.  In those days the Yanks would come to town and Comiskey was PACKED.  They were literally standing in all the aisles.  Literally.  We're talking sardines.  We're talking LOUD.  Someday that attitude will come back.

Jim, though I was born in '57, I know something of those Yankee advantages. But, still, I'd like to hear the whole deal. I think it would be fascinating.

has a saml recap of the seasons since 1952 and the cards that go with them

In case anyone wonders why this book would begin with 1952, a seemingly arbitrary choice, know that in 1952 an event happened that ushered in a whole new era of Sox history - I was born! :lol:

I remember that team very well. 

Do you even know about the phony, illegal relationship they had with the old KC A's back then?  Crooked as Hell.

I thought I was the oldest member here - now it is you! :lol: Thanks! :cheers

Just because the KC A's chose to be a major league farm team for the Yankees, why the insults? :lol: :lol: :lol: That was so blatently obvious, I am amazed it lasted as long as it did.

Thanks for the history tidbits (in advance), Josh.

btw... any news on the WXing site going back up any time soon, and are you even planning on going back there?  I've grown to like this place quite a bit more... faster, more reliable....

Joshy... Thanks for the updates :P

JTC. One of the Sysops incharge of the server swtich had a dead in his family. So all work over at WC came to a screaching halt. They are goin ack to work today... and may have done so yesterday... so hopeyfluu we'll have it back soon :)

JTC. One of the Sysops incharge of the server swtich had a dead in his family. So all work over at WC came to a screaching halt. They are goin ack to work today... and may have done so yesterday... so hopeyfluu we'll have it back soon :)

I doubt I'll go back there now anyway....

I doubt I'll go back there now anyway....

why not?

I cant bloody wait for it to come back...

This place is great. The people here are great ( no oats so thats a great start)

However... i just prefer the msg board style they have over there... dont like the tread format all that much...

why not?

This place is great. The people here are great ( no oats so thats a great start)

However... i just prefer the msg board style they have over there... dont like the tread format all that much...

It's not like I WON'T go there at all anymore or anything... just will end up here more than there in the immediate future... that's all...

But enough off-topic stuff... this team sucks.

why not?

It's not like I WON'T go there at all anymore or anything... just will end up here more than there in the immediate future... that's all...

But enough off-topic stuff... this team sucks.

LOL.

I think our Im conversations have pretty much established that this team sucks.

It gets depressing bringing that up all the time.