Ozuna

CubsSuck1

How about giving Pablo a shot in center field in a platoon? Being that Mackowiaks main role is to step in and provide some offense in Anderson's position, I think Ozuna could do just as well if not better. He is hitting .400 albeit in only 60 ABs. In addition, he has shown the ability to step it up in clutch, and seems in be involved in some game changing play when hes in the lineup. Add in hisa speed and you have an amazingly versatile player. Yes, defense could be an issue, but if Pablo is just platooned, and Anderson is occasionally used as a defensive replacement, I dont think the team would take a huge hit. At the very least, I think he provides a better option than mack, and deserves a shot at it.

ummm...if you think that Pablo's adventures in left field are bad...multiply them times 100 and then you would get Pablo's defense in center field. Pablo is perfect in the situation he is in now, playing 2 times a week via late-inning replacement and start at 3rd and left field.

Dude can't play the outfield. Note to fans: Your not going to be a good outfielder just because your fast. Pods is fast, but he's not a good outfielder, and Ozuna is faster but a worse outfielder. Like Rowand says, if Pablo is getting a shot everyday it will be at shortstop, and I wouldn't mind seeing that too much right now. I mean, Pablo is a very good hitter and uses every ounce of talent he has to his advantage as it is, but he's REALLY swinging that magic wand right now, he's just like the master of it between the bloops and bunts and gappers and such.

The more often he plays the sooner he will be exposed... ride him out at various positions while he is hot... but don't be shocked too see some errors thrown in. Pablo is a solid hitter... but then again he has very limited gap/power. His ability to draw a walk is lacking... in 408 career at-bats he has walked only 14 times while striking out 44 times ( which is not bad).

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)
The more often he plays the sooner he will be exposed... ride him out at various positions while he is hot... but don't be shocked too see some errors thrown in. Pablo is a solid hitter... but then again he has very limited gap/power. His ability to draw a walk is lacking... in 408 career at-bats he has walked only 14 times while striking out 44 times ( which is not bad).

Whoa...you're alive.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 01:54 AM)

Pablo simply puts the bat on the ball. Great contact hitter. He puts the ball in play, thats why he is such a good player in clutch situations. But he would get exposed if he were a regular. Pitchers would pitch around him more often than not just because everyone in the ballpark knows walking is the last thing he is trying to do.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
You just don't throw a SS or 3B platoon man out in CF and expect him to suceed. Ozuna is not good in LF and would probably be worse in CF. He is a good platoon man for the IF though.

Pablo is pretty bad in LF, but is he really any worse than Pods? Pods dropped one the other night, and gets removed for Mackowiak quite often. I wouldn't want to see Pods in CF, or Pablo, and would try to have Mack out there as little as possible. Mack in the corners is fine.

Pablo's a great bunter/base-stealer and one of my favorites on the team, but he's not a starter. He's mediocre at SS and 3B, is probably worse than Pods in the OF, and can't do much more at the plate than make decent contact.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I'm gonna have to 'Just say no!' to Ozuna in CF...I like the occasional spot start for our leadoff contact hitter in left field, and some at SS, thats about it.

If your implying Ozuna doesn't make contact, keep in mind he's struck out in 12.5 percent of his at bats, while Pods has in nearly 17 percent of his. Now Pods doesn't make contact enough for a player with his skill set these days, but just a thought.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
If your implying Ozuna doesn't make contact, keep in mind he's struck out in 12.5 percent of his at bats, while Pods has in nearly 17 percent of his. Now Pods doesn't make contact enough for a player with his skill set these days, but just a thought.

Knowing his posting history, I can guarantee he was ripping on Pods.....and good for him!

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Knowing his posting history, I can guarantee he was ripping on Pods.....and good for him!

Pods has been steady all year with his 100 point average/on base split this year. So assuming Pods hits .277 (which is career average, and he actually hit above that last year), you'd have him at some point getting hot and you'd also have a still pretty fast leadoff man with a .377 on base. I'll take that thank you very much.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)

fathom knows me well. Its no secret that I don't care for Pods one bit as our left fielder.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 05:25 PM)
fathom knows me well. Its no secret that I don't care for Pods one bit as our left fielder.

He's not impressing me too much as a lead-off hitter. He fights his way back from a miserable start, actually gets to .300 for a day, then starts diving again.

What happened to the guy who used to bunt for singles and terrorize pitchers and catchers?? I thought he was the key to the Sox fast start last season and I'm surprised they've done so well without his spark this year.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
He's not impressing me too much as a lead-off hitter. He fights his way back from a miserable start, actually gets to .300 for a day, then starts diving again.

What happened to the guy who used to bunt for singles and terrorize pitchers and catchers?? I thought he was the key to the Sox fast start last season and I'm surprised they've done so well without his spark this year.

He's still getting on base at the same rate as he did last year, has stolen quite a few bases, and the offense as a whole is a lot better. He's actually drawing more walks this year, but he needs to get that average back up to 2005 level, or at least to his career average.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:08 AM)

Precisely how I feel Ginger...don't get me wrong, I've seen Pods work some counts starting off a game, and thats exactly what he needs to be doing. But he doesn't seem to me like the scrappy, get on base and taunt the opposing pitcher, type guy he was and can be. Busted his ass to get back to .300 after that s***ty start, now he is diving right back again.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
He's still getting on base at the same rate as he did last year, has stolen quite a few bases, and the offense as a whole is a lot better. He's actually drawing more walks this year, but he needs to get that average back up to 2005 level, or at least to his career average.

Exactly. The only thing really down right now is his average.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
How about giving Pablo a shot in center field in a platoon? Being that Mackowiaks main role is to step in and provide some offense in Anderson's position, I think Ozuna could do just as well if not better. He is hitting .400 albeit in only 60 ABs. In addition, he has shown the ability to step it up in clutch, and seems in be involved in some game changing play when hes in the lineup. Add in hisa speed and you have an amazingly versatile player. Yes, defense could be an issue, but if Pablo is just platooned, and Anderson is occasionally used as a defensive replacement, I dont think the team would take a huge hit. At the very least, I think he provides a better option than mack, and deserves a shot at it.

Pablo in centerfield? Are you on crack?

There is no way that Ozzie would put him there. Besides, I think Anderson is starting to come around.

Ozuna is one of those guys who is important off the bench, and maybe, if you'll platoon anyone, it'd be Uribe and Cintron.

But not Ozuna in CF.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Jun 10, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)

Brian Anderson is your center fielder. Get used to the idea. Ozuna is a guy who will provide speed off the bench in situations when you need speed, period. Every team needs that role played. He is that role player. Don't make him more than he is.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Pablo in centerfield? Are you on crack?

There is no way that Ozzie would put him there. Besides, I think Anderson is starting to come around.

Ozuna is one of those guys who is important off the bench, and maybe, if you'll platoon anyone, it'd be Uribe and Cintron.

But not Ozuna in CF.

Um, you might want to have an apology ready in your back pocket. Ozzie has been working out Ozuna in CF both to get him ready for interleague play, and as the back up for Mackowiak when Anderson serves his suspension.

If we had Ozuna in CF and Pods in LF, I think our outfield defense would be the worst in the league, and I'm not even joking.

And blah blah blah, hate on Pods all you want, but he's got a .399 OBP since his horrid start.