Should the KKK be allowed to protest at historical sites?

BHAMBARONS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its totally disgraceful. I think the KKK is a low-rent, redneck bunch of idiots. I also think that despite their stupidity they have rights to free speech and free assembly. Its up to people who know better to counter their message with a more reasonable one.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
I think its totally disgraceful. I think the KKK is a low-rent, redneck bunch of idiots. I also think that despite their stupidity they have rights to free speech and free assembly. Its up to people who know better to counter their message with a more reasonable one.

What should the counter-message be?

"That's racist!"?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
There's no reason to care that much. The best counter message? Don't even bother showing up. Ignore them.

I agree with both Nuke and Balta. Not often I've gotten to type that sentence.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)

Nuke agrees with Balta and the ACLU!

The end is nigh people!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
How does KKK even take themselves seriously when the original grandmaster or whatevr u want to call it regretted ever being part of it.

Umm, someone from over a hundred and fifty years ago told you he regrets ever being part of the KKK?!?!

Holy s***, the Klan is still relevant and people are even remotely paying attention to them? Who knew that the Klan was still making media coverage? And more importantly, if they believe that the media is run by a cabal of dangerous and sneaky Jews, why would they go for media coverage? To them and their beliefs, wouldn't it run through their heads that it may be counterproductive? I know they're not the coldest beers in the cooler, but sweet goddamn.

I just thought they spent their time drinking Natty Lite, washing sheets and reading the Turner Diaries instead of actually doing anything now after they've been pretty much dismantled thanks to groups like the Southern Poverty Law Center.

And on thread: Yes, they have the right to assembly. Just ignore them and they go away.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
That's why the real bigots are wearing suits and trying to make discrimination legal through unconstitutional laws and statewide referendum.

After all, you don't have to wear a sheet to be a bigot at the polls.

You mean like publically stating only one race should hold a public office?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/hea...1,1416390.story

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 12:13 PM)
That's exactly what I mean.

Serious question here, and maybe I just don't get it because I am a white male... Why is it wrong for the Klan to demand white preferential treatment, but OK when it is for any other race???

Unfortunately they are pefectly acting under the rights outlined by our constitution. There are many orgs who speak publically, and their message may not be what you want to hear. Unfortunatley, they have the right to voice their opinion, just as we have the right not to listen.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Serious question here, and maybe I just don't get it because I am a white male... Why is it wrong for the Klan to demand white preferential treatment, but OK when it is for any other race???

It's a tough question. There is a preponderance of evidence, or so I'm led to believe, that other races face challenges and legacies of institutional racism that still put other non-white races at a disadvantage. Although it may no longer be overt, and although there maybe plenty of places where that isn't the case - there are places where it does happen and they are numerous.

It's difficult, because the need to ensure an adequate or equal opportunity shouldn't be outweighed by merit or a desire to create an equal result. In some cases, some special advantages may be necessary to make an equal opportunity available for everyone.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
It's a tough question. There is a preponderance of evidence, or so I'm led to believe, that other races face challenges and legacies of institutional racism that still put other non-white races at a disadvantage. Although it may no longer be overt, and although there maybe plenty of places where that isn't the case - there are places where it does happen and they are numerous.

It's difficult, because the need to ensure an adequate or equal opportunity shouldn't be outweighed by merit or a desire to create an equal result. In some cases, some special advantages may be necessary to make an equal opportunity available for everyone.

When the Irish came to this country they faced poor treatment based on their heritage and so did the Italians and Orientals. They didn't cry about it, they dealt with it and busted their ass to make things better and look how well they are all doing now.

The whole idea of affirmative action or any manner of preferences is simply trying to use 2 wrongs to make a right. You can't complain all day long about how unfair things are then happily accept an unfair advantage that benefits you. Thats hypocrasy. What is needed is a level playing field where merit decides who gets what. If that means that minorities don't get a certain percentage of jobs or college admissions or whatever then maybe they should shut their yaps and look to better themselves.

Like I said in a different thread, Americans are becomming a nation of whiny, spoiled b****es. Im sick and tired of this whole victim culture in this country and the asinine things that spawn from it.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND