HS Senior rips his own graduating class.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Education in this country is broken. As evidence I offer the following statistics.

40% of 4th grade students in this country score below a 4th grade reading level at the end of the term.

67% of inner city and rural poor 4th grade students score below a 4th grade reading level at the end of the term. The 4th grade reading score is considered a benchmark because it is at this point in a student’s career that those above grade level begin to separate from those below grade level. Students below grade level in reading at 4th grade begin to fall further and further behind with the ability to make up the lost ground becoming more and more difficult.

On average, the US spends $8,287 per student in public education. New Jersey is the highest with $12,981 and Utah the lowest with $5,008 per student. Public education is a billion dollar industry that continues to fail to produce a quality product in general. There are always examples of great schools and brilliant teachers but as a whole, the education process is broken. The return on investment is far too low. That is typical of any government run entity. A privately run system would be far more productive.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
Graduating from a school that doesn't deal with educational policy does not make you an expert on educational policy. Just because you went to school doesn't make you an expert about schools.

I'm still waiting to see how your Masters in CS has any bearing on your claim that there are tons of diversity classes in mathematics in high school. If it doesn't have any bearing on the topic then you've got another baseless claim out there because I'm waiting for some evidence that classes don't teach math.

I've sat in on plenty of math courses and know numerous teachers in IL that teach a variety of subjects (math included) that would greatly differ with your rash babbling about 'diversity classes' and the non-teaching of math. But who needs to have facts when you have right wing tinged babbling about public schools? Right Mr. Genius?

sorry dude, but the educational system in this country isn't working. But it is reassuring knowing a childish hothead such as yourself is an educator. Oh, I don't know anything about learning mathematics (that is what starting your whole rant)? I certainly do, and I know teaching fluff classes instead of sciences is not the way to go about it. Don't give me some bs saying the US focuses on writing, math and legit science enough... if that was the case we wouldn't be so far behind other countries in these areas. Yea, i think public schools teach too much stupid s*** and need to focus on other areas.

EDITED LAST LINE

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 12:18 PM)
sorry dude, but the educational system in this country isn't working. But it is reassuring knowing a childish hothead such as yourself is an educator. Oh, I don't know anything about learning mathematics (that is what starting your whole rant)? I certainly do, and I know teaching fluff classes instead of sciences is not the way to go about it. Don't give me some bs saying the US focuses on writing, math and legit science enough... if that was the case we wouldn't be so far behind other countries in these areas. Yea, i think public schools teach too much stupid s*** and need to focus on other areas.

I guess in your case the saying "those that can't do, teach" is appropriate.

As long as we don't tell kids the earth is older than 6000 years or that the climate of the planet can be altered by organisms on the planet.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
As long as we don't tell kids the earth is older than 6000 years or that the climate of the planet can be altered by organisms on the planet.

lol, i knew someone would bring that up

i probably dislike fundamentalist's as much, if not more, than you. they have no business editing science text to fit their warped sense of reality.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

EDITED LAST LINE

"Those that can't do, teach" - HAHAHAHAHAHA, brilliant! Did you come up with that yourself?

http://www.taylormali.com/index.cfm?webid=13

The educational system in this country is broken but a private system will not fix it. Being from IL, I have somewhat of a detailed background on Illinois schools. Given that property values from area to area, there will always be great disparity in the tax rates. Despite being aware of this disparity, the government of Illinois continues to use property taxes as the premier mechanism of funding the public school system. This institutionalized inequity has led to many of the problems that Illinois' school systems have faced. By using property taxes, the disparities between schools are glaring, with amounts spent per pupil in some districts more than doubling the amounts spent in others. Many of the poorer schools have difficulty providing basic necessities like textbooks. Jonathan Kozol's book "Savage Inequalities" details the inequalities that result from these funding disparities.

Another major problem with Illinois education is that many schools in the state are running deficits. According to the Illinois State Board of Education, 17% of Illinois schools have been deemed to be in "dire financial trouble", a 55% increase from 2003. These schools have incredible debt and have been forced to borrow money from banks to pay for daily operating costs. One hundred forty more school districts have been designated as "financial early warnings"; which is the second-worse financial rating. Overall, 33% of school districts have been given these two rankings, and 77% of Illinois schools are running a deficit. The vast majority of Illinois schools are unable to pay for resources and materials to assist in creating an effective, positive learning environment.

A third major problem with education in Illinois relates to under-funded legislation like No Child Left Behind. While Congress did increase the amount of federal funding for education, the money was inadequate for states to meet the standardized testing requirements of No Child Left Behind. Moreover, these standardized tests result in low-level achievement in the classroom by focusing only on what it is low-level thought process memorization measurable. Students are cheated out of high level thought, critical thinking and in-depth analysis. Teachers, meanwhile, are essentially strong-armed into keeping test scores up, since the school's funding depends on continued high scores. If scores fail to increase, the federal government will put the school under review and may close the school if scores fail to improve -- all the while keeping funding at a minimum.

A final set of problems revolves around teaching, including teacher burnout, a lack of teachers and low teacher wages. A report by the Economic Policy Institute (http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm?id=1869) shows that weekly wages of teachers have fallen behind those of other workers, with an inflation-adjusted increase of only 0.8%, compared to a 12% weekly wage growth of college graduates and all workers. A comparison of teachers' weekly wages to those of other workers with similar education and experience shows that, since 1993, female teacher wages have fallen behind 13%, with male teacher wages falling 12.5% (11.5% among all teachers). Since 1979, teacher wages relative to workers in other fields have dropped 18.5% among women, 9.3% among men, and 13.1% among both combined. The report also found that:

a. A comparison of teachers' wages to those of workers with comparable skill requirements -- including accountants, reporters, registered nurses, computer programmers, clergy, personnel officers, and vocational counselors and inspectors -- shows that teachers earned $116 less per week in 2002, a wage disadvantage of 12.2%. Because teachers worked more hours per week, the hourly wage disadvantage was an even larger 14.1%.

b. Teachers' weekly wages have grown far more slowly than those for comparable occupations such as those listed above; teacher wages have deteriorated about 14.8% since 1993 and by 12.0% since 1983, relative to comparable occupations.

c. Although teachers usually have somewhat better health and pension benefits than do other professionals, these are offset partly by lower payroll taxes paid by employers (since some teachers are not in the Social Security system). Teachers have less premium pay (overtime and shift pay, for example), less paid leave, and fewer wage bonuses than do other professionals. Teacher benefits have not improved relative to other professionals since 1994 (the earliest data available), so the growth in the teacher wage disadvantage has not been offset by improved benefits.

If you want quality teachers, you have to pay to those districts that are having funding problems. And also, the average is not a good statistic for school funding per student because schools like New Trier etc. can really throw off the average since they have an insanely high per student expenditure.

Privatizing the school system will just lead to private schools excluding students that they do not want (because they have the legal right to do so) and it allows the affluent students to get a quality education at the expense of their fellow students and community members.

I think that the US could be more effective creating an educational style like Japan and most of Europe -- 240 days a year with a smaller amount of classes taught per day (which allows for more student/teacher interaction) and smaller class sizes.

If you want increased scores, equalizing funding and making at least a level playing field for every school would be an excellent start. Parts of the system have problems but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. (an interesting read on school funding equality in Illinois: http://www.aplusillinois.org/issues/facts.asp)

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
no it's been around for a while

oh, are you editing my posts now? thats hilarious

No, he didn't, for the record (and neither did I, but that's just FYI). Why would he edit it then turn around and quote you, Mr. GEEEEEENIUUUUUUUS? :D

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
I've never seen a thread take a turn like this. A 2 page post about school funding? Im pretty sure thats not what the kids speech was about. He was mad that other students took liberties that he was not given.

more like he was mad that kids who were given every opportunity to exceed in schooling threw it away and gave the school a bad name, all the while were embraced more by the school.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
more like he was mad that kids who were given every opportunity to exceed in schooling threw it away and gave the school a bad name, all the while were embraced more by the school.

WHo gave the school a worse name? The athletes who probably excelled in sports and school, or the whiny senior who decided to take it upon himself to embarass the school through his graduation speech?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
WHo gave the school a worse name? The athletes who probably excelled in sports and school, or the whiny senior who decided to take it upon himself to embarass the school through his graduation speech?

Ding.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)

the kid who stood up to the blind eye of administration and the aforementioned dumbass athletes. Schools aren't farm leagues for sports, they are supposed to be a place of learning, one that was being corrupted by a bunch of duke lacrosse assholes. The kid was right. i wish i could have slapped every one of the kids who wasted their time in my high quality public school with so many kids that don't even have a chance in theirs.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)

Any school that allows such nonsense to go on in its halls deserves to be embarrassed.

Here's the real story behind this: This kid was a complete loser in school, didn't have any friends and just hated high school all together. So he decided to come out and b**** about the school.

Everything he said happens at every single high school.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
Here's the real story behind this: This kid was a complete loser in school, didn't have any friends and just hated high school all together. So he decided to come out and b**** about the school.

Everything he said happens at every single high school.

I had plenty of high school friends and I still hated high school. Just because it happens at most every high school doesn't make the stuff he was commenting on right.

If it forces the administration to start changing things, then it was worth it because too often the people (taking my high school experience for an example here) who played sports really got carte blanche to do whatever they wanted. Although, that changed a little bit when one of the head jocks got choked out at a retreat we were on (he talked a bunch a s*** to a friend of mine that was there and challenged my friend to put a hold on him. The moron was so sure that he could break out cuz he was a big macho football player + my friend was a lot smaller -- but a black belt) 2 minutes later, the football player is on the floor damn near knocked out. He was a lot more humble to everybody after that)

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
Ya kid, you can say the same thing about almost every f***ing school in the U.S. that has students cheating, athletes skipping classwork and getting a free ride, and kids smoking and drinking in the bathrooms.. :rolly

Seems like a full born nerd to me. Just be happy that you didn't participate in it, and most importantly you GRADUATED. Let those other kids be bums.-

Letting the others become bums and fail out of college is fine (sorta), but if they're disrupting others wanting to get an education, something likely needs to be said and done. A good kid shouldn't have to worry about walking into the bathroom for fear of smoked out or threatened.

In the 80's, my school took a tough (yet later ruled to be illegal) stance on bathroom partiers by removing all doors, and constantly sending in the hallway monitors...it hampered many efforts along the way, but worked well to keep our school (somewhat) influence-free when coupled with locker searches and quick suspensions.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
The educational system in this country is broken but a private system will not fix it. Being from IL, I have somewhat of a detailed background on Illinois schools.....

http://www.aplusillinois.org/issues/facts.asp)

So let's recap. Teachers are over worked, underpaid, not given enough support by management and have the cards stacked against them in an unfair system. Would you like some cheese with that whine? Welcome to the working world. I will try to remember how tough teachers have it when I am going to work all summer, when I am stuck in traffic on the Dan Ryan during 'spring break' or plowing through the snow to get to work during the formerly known as Christmas, "holiday" break. You are correct the education system is broken and the politicians, unions and administrators who have perpetuated this broken system for these many years should be held accountable.

Private business can do this better regardless of the varying funding levels from school to school. You know why? Failure is not an option in business. If you fail in business, you don't get paid. Stock holders like it when thier companies get paid so they are going to succeed. Only in government work is any where from a 40-67% defective rate acceptable.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 12:28 AM)
So let's recap. Teachers are over worked, underpaid, not given enough support by management and have the cards stacked against them in an unfair system. Would you like some cheese with that whine? Welcome to the working world. I will try to remember how tough teachers have it when I am going to work all summer, when I am stuck in traffic on the Dan Ryan during 'spring break' or plowing through the snow to get to work during the formerly known as Christmas, "holiday" break. You are correct the education system is broken and the politicians, unions and administrators who have perpetuated this broken system for these many years should be held accountable.

Private business can do this better regardless of the varying funding levels from school to school. You know why? Failure is not an option in business. If you fail in business, you don't get paid. Stock holders like it when thier companies get paid so they are going to succeed. Only in government work is any where from a 40-67% defective rate acceptable.

You ask me if you want cheese with my whine (real creative, btw) and then give me a case where the world's smallest violin should be playing just for you.

Yes, way to completely ignore all the data and move with conjecture. You sure convinced me!

And actually, teachers do work before their official paying job starts and after their job starts, during the breaks, during the summer etc. It is called lesson planning, unit planning, creation of activities/projects/homework, grading, parent/teacher conferences, workshops, etc. Teachers do more work than many people during hours where we are not paid for it and that is before we can actually go in and do our job for any given day.

The idea of putting public schools in a business analogy is inherently moronic. Businesses get to pick which raw materials they want to use. Public schools must take in all students that live in the area, no matter if they are SPED, have an IEP, etc. etc. etc. Privatizing schools is merely code for "let's give the rich a good education and f*** everybody else." The whole idea of school vouchers has been a proven failure wherever it has been introduced (check Jacksonville, FL and the other areas -- not to mention that studies show that there is no statistic significance in achievement levels from voucher students compared to non-voucher students)

The glaring differences in school funding per district are seen as the glaring cause of education problems and inequality according to many experts in the educational policy study field. I'll take their analysis and my experience in the classroom over some poster who is parroting John Stossel talking points.

haha, i've never even heard these John Stossel reports lowercase keeps talking about

but they must be accurate if it pisses him off this much

oh, and watch out.. i was warned that i would be suspended from soxtalk if i made more statements like 'those that can't do teach'. just a heads up to anyone who has criticism to our current education system.

i guess thats a totally horrible personal attack, but calling someone a "a babbling moron idiot" isn't.

go figure

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 12:49 AM)
haha, i've never even heard these John Stossel reports lowercase keeps talking about

but they must be accurate if it pisses him off this much

No, they're actually very poorly done with lots of fallacious reasoning used behind them + he's been outed as being a hack moron who doesn't know his ass from educational policy in regards to his statements. That's why I'm against them.