SS Help

shoota

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)
Yeah, it would probably cost just about 100% of our top minor league talent, in other words his requests are completely unrealistic.

Unless...that ss is Robert Valido, that 3rd baseman is Josh Fields, those relief pitchers are Sean Tracey, Augustin Montero, and Tyler Lumsden; the CF Ryan Sweeney and who can forget our new 5th starter (replacing Garland) Lance Broadway.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 11:54 PM)
Unless...that ss is Robert Valido, that 3rd baseman is Josh Fields, those relief pitchers are Sean Tracey, Augustin Montero, and Tyler Lumsden; the CF Ryan Sweeney and who can forget our new 5th starter (replacing Garland) Lance Broadway.

Damn you Gage and your twisted logic.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Damn you Gage and your twisted logic.

I just don't know what to do with coaches, simply because I'm too lazy to look up the names of the hitting instructors in Charlotte or Bham.

So I'll just say we can hire Boone Logan, he sure knows what to throw to make guys hit, so maybe he can enlighten our hitters on just what to look for.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
That's 20% of the team right there. That's called blowing it up.

We have different opinions on the definition of blowing up a team. I believe a team is blown up when its core fails and a team has a firesale to build for the future. Since I like the 2006 Sox's core, I only want 3 position upgrades (two of them being bullpen pitchers) and as I said above, only want upgraded starting pitching if Garland and Garcia can't return to last season's form. So depeding on the performances of Garland and Garcia, I'd only want to replace as few as 3 players for the stretch run. That's certainly not blowing up a team, IMO.

Perhaps "retool" would be a more accurate compromise of tweak and blowing up.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:06 PM)
We have different opinions on the definition of blowing up a team. I believe a team is blown up when its core fails and a team has a firesale to build for the future. Since I like the 2006 Sox's core, I only want 3 position upgrades (two of them being bullpen pitchers) and as I said above, only want upgraded starting pitching if Garland and Garcia can't return to last season's form. So depeding on the performances of Garland and Garcia, I'd only want to replace as few as 3 players for the stretch run. That's certainly not blowing up a team, IMO.

Perhaps "retool" would be a more accurate compromise of tweak and blowing up.

I think when you compare it to the current trade market, and look at last season's trade deadline that there were hardly any moves made at all, because all of the lower teams wanted really good talent, that's changing 20% of your team can probably be construed as "blowing it up".

I mean how many teams have you seen in the past few seasons trade 5 of their major league players in the 1 season?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 06:50 PM)
Cesar Izturis career:

.261 average

.295 OBP

.338 slugging

.633 OPS

YUCK!!!! I'll stick with Uribe and Cintron and hope Uribe gets on one of his patented hot streaks.

I don't understand why people think the Sox need SS help. Uribe might be starting that hot streak.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 11, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
You'll be hearing the name Cesar Izturis at some point too, but I don't see Izturis or Wilson to be any better than Cintron is, plus both are paid hansomely I believe. No thanks.

Izturis isn't any better than Uribe with the bat really. Last season he was .257/.302/.322 which blows and is probably around the neighborhood Uribe is going to sniff. Great glove, but Juan's glove is just as good. Thier a wash.

Wilson on the other hand is smething I'd like to have if he can return to that 2004 form. He hit 308/.335/.459, solid for a SS, and played GREAT defense, better than Juan.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
Wilson on the other hand is smething I'd like to have if he can return to that 2004 form. He hit 308/.335/.459, solid for a SS, and played GREAT defense, better than Juan.

Until you take into effect his contract, which isn't worth those numbers in any way.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
Until you take into effect his contract, which isn't worth those numbers in any way.

But you need to look at the position he's playing.

SS is considered one of the top 3 toughest positions to play by stathead standards.

This guy SAVES is team 11 runs above average (FRAA) what an average SS would save a team. Uribe doesn't even sniff that territory.

His production at SS is good too. Above average for sure.

4.9 million isn't much for his prodcution, ESPECIALLY if he reverts to 2004 form.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
4.9 million isn't much for his prodcution, ESPECIALLY if he reverts to 2004 form.

In 2007, he's making 5.25 million. 2008, 6.5 million. 2009, 7.25 million. 2010, team option for 8.4 million (0.6 million buyout)

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
In 2007, he's making 5.25 million. 2008, 6.5 million. 2009, 7.25 million. 2010, team option for 8.4 million (0.6 million buyout)

And thats NOT expensive at all.

Every year contracts are going to increase. Money will come in larger sums and so will the length of deals.

You do realize 2-way SS who provide offense and defense don't exist in baseball outside of a few players (Tejada, Jeter, etc.)

He's a guy who can hit and especially Field.

In 2004 his wins above replacment player (WARP) was 7.2 wins. Last season it was 5.3.

Uribe's has been 4.9 consistently and he's due for a huge decrease already this season.

Money isn't an issue anymore. We have the 4th highest payroll in baseball. The difference between Juan and Jack this season is already shaping out to be 4 to 5 wins in the standing.

For an extra 4 to 5 wins, I'l pay whatever it takes.

Adrian Beltre's contract wouldn't be all that bad IF he were able to revert back to his '04 form.

Carl Pavano's contract wouldn't be all that bad IF he were able to revert back to his '04 form.

Once year wonders should not be counted on to produce the way they did in their contract year. Jack Wilson is quite bad.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
ESPECIALLY is they key word.

Even if his bat continues to hit lightly, his contract is still worth his production.

Especially is just an adverb. All it does it make IF look fancy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there ain't a chance in hell the O's move Tejada during the season but if such a trade were to come up I would certainly pull the trigger.

As long as the "others" of course are not McCarthy and I've gotta doubt that they'd move Tejada without getting Bmac

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
Well, there ain't a chance in hell the O's move Tejada during the season but if such a trade were to come up I would certainly pull the trigger.

Im just mentioning it because Tejada is on rumor central with the Angels showing interest. I would be interested, especially with the Tigers most likely looking at more talent as well. Tejada woud bring another good bat, leadership, and good fielding to our team.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Im just mentioning it because Tejada is on rumor central with the Angels showing interest. I would be interested, especially with the Tigers most likely looking at more talent as well. Tejada woud bring another good bat, leadership, and good fielding to our team.

Yeah, the Tejada rumors are there but with the current state that the Orioles find themselves in, they will not be trading him during the season. I would absolutely love him and would give up anyone not named McCarthy in order to get him but I just don't see him being moved anytime soon.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Im starting to become not as high on McCarthy as I once was... if we could add Tejeda I wouldnt mind parting with B-Mac. Think of the offensive power we would be....

Just remember letting BMac walk could f*** the rotation for years to come, people are allowing his less than impressive bullpen performances to cloud thier judgement, luckily KW isn't so foolish.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Im starting to become not as high on McCarthy as I once was... if we could add Tejeda I wouldnt mind parting with B-Mac. Think of the offensive power we would be....

wow.

im going to go out on the limb and say that this team's got enough f***ing offense.

let's hold onto our young pitchers and take our chances with clutch cintron and d-stud uribe. this team does not need tejeda, not at that price tag (both for what we would give up and his salary)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:18 PM)
Just remember letting BMac walk could f*** the rotation for years to come, people are allowing his less than impressive bullpen performances to cloud thier judgement, luckily KW isn't so foolish.

How do you figure? B-Mac still hasnt really proven himself in the bigs and everybody in our starting rotation is still locked up for next season. Buehrle is the closest one to f/a if im correct and id hope we would resign him of all our SP's. Also we have many other SP prospects too... Phillips and Haeger dominating AAA and Broadway, Lumsden, and to a lesser extent Liotta in AA.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
How do you figure? B-Mac still hasnt really proven himself in the bigs and everybody in our starting rotation is still locked up for next season. Buehrle is the closest one to f/a if im correct and id hope we would resign him of all our SP's. Also we have many other SP prospects too... Phillips and Haeger dominating AAA and Broadway, Lumsden, and to a lesser extent Liotta in AA.

IMO McCarthy did prove him self by rallying off a streak of amazing outings like he did over the stretch run next year. With the amount of innings the Sox' starters have thrown especially over the past 2 years, there is bound to be a major injury or just a total collapse in effectiveness kind of like what we've seen from Garland and Garcia this year. If anyone goes down or sucks for an extended period of time there is not a single pitcher in our system who could step in like McCarthy. Phillips is probably the best option right now and he's never pitched a big league inning. I'd rather not be relying on Heager and a band of no-experience rookies to step in to the rotation in the middle of the season. Plus I don't want to see a pitcher like McCarthy go anywhere.