Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle crash

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Pretty bad skull fracture (3rd hand from co-workers brother) and talk that he might require a plate. If he needs a plate... I can't imagine being cleared to play football ever again.

I'm not an M.D., but wouldn't they have X-rayed him immediately? If he had a fractured skull, it seems that we should've heard about that around the same time that we heard about the broken jaw. Unless they're intentionally keeping it quiet.

Anyway, I really hope that it's not true.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
According to George Offman he lost most of his teeth and messed up both knees to go along with all the usual facial and head lacerations plus the collapsed lung and broken jaw.

HOLY s***, now we're just hoping the guy can have a normal life, football is optional.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm not an M.D., but wouldn't they have X-rayed him immediately? If he had a fractured skull, it seems that we should've heard about that around the same time that we heard about the broken jaw. Unless they're intentionally keeping it quiet.

Anyway, I really hope that it's not true.

I have no idea. As I said, I'm getting it 3rd hand.

The latest is that the knee injuries are sprains with massive cuts & scrapes and not broken or fractured. Apparently when he bounced off the van winshield he slid for a few feet after hitting the street. :huh:

I don't know anything about Kelly's brother other than he does work for a local media outlet there.

Hopefully Ben recovers fully from this......and if he does, he's VERY lucky based on how bad the accident sounds like it was. I pray for his recovery, but it's dumb enough to ride a motorcycle, and even DUMBER to do so without a helmet. How many times must people be seriously injured or die before people wake up?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
I have no idea. As I said, I'm getting it 3rd hand.

The latest is that the knee injuries are sprains with massive cuts & scrapes and not broken or fractured. Apparently when he bounced off the van winshield he slid for a few feet after hitting the street. :huh:

I don't know anything about Kelly's brother other than he does work for a local media outlet there.

I'm hearing "fractured sinus cavity" from several media outlets. Sounds like your source is accurate.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
That's f***ed up. He's stupid for not wearing a helmet. Last year when I was riding my bike, I got hit by a car and I'd have been killed if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

I'm glad you were wearing your helmet, mate. That's an awful thing to go through, and I'm glad you survived it.

Man.. just like Jay Williams all over again... :ph34r:

Potential career threatening, stupid decision.

Poor Ben, prayers go out to ya, and I'm sure he'll thank the lord he's alive even though he'll be having a different looking face on him.. ;)

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 06:33 PM)
I'm hearing "fractured sinus cavity" from several media outlets. Sounds like your source is accurate.

Which I'm going to guess has nothing to do with the crack on the back of his skull...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Which I'm going to guess has nothing to do with the crack on the back of his skull...

Correct. Sinus cavity is behind the orbital bones mostly, but also behind one's forehead.

But orbital fractures can range in effect from no biggie to life-threatening.

Everyone here is rightly saying they hope he recovers. I hope he recovers his health for certain, but I could care less about his career. The guy was asked, in the press (and I'm sure behind closed doors too) to just wear a damn helmet. For the money he makes, he could do that, and didn't. In fact he flaunted not wearing one, as witnessed on his website. If his career is over or never the same, maybe that will send a message to the other idiots out there riding donor-bikes without a helmet.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:38 AM)

Didn't realize that you were referring to the back of the skull. I heard that the doctors had to open up his skull slightly to relieve pressure caused by the swelling of his brain (which apparently is common in head traumas), but maybe that's something different. And who knows if it's accurate.

Anyway, his prognosis sounds better than it did yesterday and that's definitely good news.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 10:28 AM)
Didn't realize that you were referring to the back of the skull. I heard that the doctors had to open up his skull slightly to relieve pressure caused by the swelling of his brain (which apparently is common in head traumas), but maybe that's something different. And who knows if it's accurate.

Anyway, his prognosis sounds better than it did yesterday and that's definitely good news.

I heard the same which included them having to remove a small section of the skull at the base of his head where a small plate might have to be placed to fuse the bone back together. Thankfully, all reports state that there was no trama to the spinal cord.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm not a doctor or even close to one, so I ask for the help of somebody that would know about this.....but wouldn't a 9 inch gash on your head be life threatening with all the blood you could lose?

Okay, maybe I wasn't crazy, I thought ESPN said a 9 inch gash too (and Steff mentioned it as well). Thats freaking huge, I'd think that would be insanely serious.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
I'm not a doctor or even close to one, so I ask for the help of somebody that would know about this.....but wouldn't a 9 inch gash on your head be life threatening with all the blood you could lose?

As long as it doesn't cut a major artery, the amount of blood you will lose will be decent, but not life threatening, unless it's not treated. He was certainly in the hands of paramedics within a few minutes and they would have worked to control the bleeding. And as long as you keep a certain amount of blood in your system, you can stay alive long enough to reach a hospital and get an infusion of O-. If he had a 9 inch gash running across his aorta, that's a different story.

Big Ben Ebay Auction

Too funny not to post...

Its just very sad and kinda telling that the vast majority of injuries that Ben sustained would have been avoided if he was wearing a helmet. Broken Nose, teeth, fractured skull, lacerations all to the face. Needless to say I doubt he will be an advocate of not wearing an helmet after this accident. He definitely is one of my favorite QB's so heres hoping for a full recovery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
As long as it doesn't cut a major artery, the amount of blood you will lose will be decent, but not life threatening, unless it's not treated. He was certainly in the hands of paramedics within a few minutes and they would have worked to control the bleeding. And as long as you keep a certain amount of blood in your system, you can stay alive long enough to reach a hospital and get an infusion of O-. If he had a 9 inch gash running across his aorta, that's a different story.

I'll just add a bit to this. As a general rule, unless you are talking about a gash that penetrates the skull, head wounds tend to be very messy but not a big deal medically. Lots of blood, looks scary, but unless you have lots of big cuts (which it sounds like Ben may have), your life is probably not in danger from that alone.

But, the problem is, if you got cut up on the noggin, you may also have a serious head injury that cannot be seen on the outside. And in fact, the blood and swelling from the wounds may mask certain indicators (deformities of the skull, Battle's sign, etc.) of those more serious potential conditions. So it complicates things.