Gary Matthews Jr.

I just want to admit, that it was a horrid idea of me to even suggest the Rangers would get rid of this guy. He plays very good defense and is scolding the ball on a playoff team. The Angels may make a run, but they appear to be tanking again (despite the emergence of some young hitters) and the A's are playing well, but the Rangers should put up a fight with Oaktown for a while.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
He's hitting .417 in 50 ABs this month, and overall, he is hitting .332 with a .934 OPS in 220 ABs. He's hitting .357 on the road, and .297 at home.

How is all of this possible considering that he's a lifetime .255 hitter who will turn 32 this summer? What in the f*** is going on?

Thanks for the thread. Honestly, I thought this revival was all about him playing in Texas, but those splits suggest otherwise. He's always been very fast and a plus defender, and maybe he's having his 2003 Esteban Loaiza year at the dish (if that makes sense lol).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
Has Mathews played with Grimsley lately

[/green... or is it?]

He's a guy I've suspected of roids for some time actually. He seemed to gain a ton of muscle when he showed up in Texas.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
Thanks for the thread. Honestly, I thought this revival was all about him playing in Texas, but those splits suggest otherwise. He's always been very fast and a plus defender, and maybe he's having his 2003 Esteban Loaiza year at the dish (if that makes sense lol).

He wasn't at all bad last year, he just wasn't this good. I always thought Sarge Jr. had some talent, it was just a matter of a team giving him a legit chance.

That said he probably won't be hitting this good at the end of the season, but he's capable of a .270 avg with 17-22 HR's all while playing pretty good defense out in CF.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:15 AM)

Or maybe hes having a Melvin Mora type transformation, where he goes from being a s***ty hitter in his 20s to figuring out how to hit the ball in his 30s.

Mora

Age 30: .233 19 64 .338/.404/.742

Age 31: .317 15 48 .418/.503/.921

Age 32: .340 27 104 .419/.562/.981

Matthews Jr

Age 29: .248 6 42 .314/.361/.675

Age 30: .275 11 36.350/.461/.811

Age 31: .332 5 33 .389/.545/.934

SO I SKIPPED LAST YEAR, SHOOT ME

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jun 12, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
He's hitting .417 in 50 ABs this month, and overall, he is hitting .332 with a .934 OPS in 220 ABs. He's hitting .357 on the road, and .297 at home.

How is all of this possible considering that he's a lifetime .255 hitter who will turn 32 this summer? What in the f*** is going on?

Every once in a while, theres a guy who is just a LATE BLOOMER. I was thinking the same thing last nite watching him ............... He is just one of those guys, I think hes going to do this the rest of the way