Gagne is freakin awesome

southsider2k5

On a side note, watching this guy pitch the ninth how could he never succeed as a starter? He has 4 great pitches that he seems to be able to spot anywhere in the strike zone he wants to. Any of you west coasters who have seen more of him that I have, what was the deal?

On a side note, watching this guy pitch the ninth how could he never succeed as a starter?  He has 4 great pitches that he seems to be able to spot anywhere in the strike zone he wants to.  Any of you west coasters who have seen more of him that I have, what was the deal?

I believe he has issues keeping his Pitch counts down... and therefore hes not the greatest starter.

On a side note, watching this guy pitch the ninth how could he never succeed as a starter?  He has 4 great pitches that he seems to be able to spot anywhere in the strike zone he wants to.  Any of you west coasters who have seen more of him that I have, what was the deal?

The big difference is he just lets everything rare back and fly as a closer. he doesn't have to worry about conserving his stuff.

To think he could be a southsider.

He failed as a starter because his stamina wasn't great. But also his arsenal pales when stretched over multiple innings. Starters have to outthink hitters and face them 2-4 times per game. They have to know how they beat a guy and try to fool him and beat him differently each time. Gagne has basically 4 dominant pitches and I think he is best suited for the relief role where you only face guys once.

That said, the Dodgers have a f***in awesome bullpen. Every guy that came in: Quantrill, Shuey, Martin, even Mota who didn't pitch have some awesome WHIP numbers and OBA. Then Gordon comes on for us and walks the bases loaded.

Did we turn that  one down?  What year?

Gagne is human, though.  Todd Helton took him deep 9 days ago.

I believe the deal on the table was Gagne for Howry....and KW got a little greedy and asked Evans for a prospect....and Evans pulled out. The rest is history.

Also....I believe it was in the offseason before 2002.

Did we turn that  one down?  What year?

Gagne is human, though.  Todd Helton took him deep 9 days ago.

I believe the deal on the table was Gagne for Howry....and KW got a little greedy and asked Evans for a prospect....and Evans pulled out. The rest is history.

Also....I believe it was in the offseason before 2002.

So you could say that Evans was a smart GM by not caving to KW's demands???

Oh, sorry, that was another thread.