What would decent reliever cost us?

BFirebird

What kind of prospects would teams be looking for a decent middle or setup reliever? Would it take a couple of mid-level prospects or a mid and high-level? I believe this to be the weakest part of the team and probably the first thing Kenny will address.

See, now we have the problem perfectly illustrated. Since there are so few teams with relief pitching available to trade, and so many who need it, the price is going to be someone like the names mentionned above. So unless you're willing to give up a prospect who is much more valualbe than the relief pitcher you're getting back, you might as well close this thread.

You want middle relief? it's gonna cost you.

The answer is, it depends what you mean by "decent". If you won't tolerate anything less than Shields, you're gonna get bent over. But Roberto Hernandez, Joe Borowski, And Friends won't cost you your #1 prospect. I'd rather go the latter route, but to each his own.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
Keep in mind, last year the Marlins were asking for Brandon McCarthy for Ron Villone.

Good God man...

I saw him pitch in mop up duty for the yankees last week and that would've been the worst trade ever!

The Sox could see enough out of Tracey or Montero that they could just get a guy like Hawkins/Hernandez and than go with a plan where Lumsden or another youngster comes up late in the year and pitches in as well.

Its not like we don't have some arms down in AA that could potentially contribute and Lummy is exactly the type of guy that could make a pretty immediate impact in a pen.

Of course thats risky, but if we go into the playoffs with a pen with Lummy, an improved Tracey (we will need to see if that will pan out) and than a guy like Hawkins/Hernandez to go with Cotts and Jenks we should be in decent shape (especially when you consider the rest the relievers should get due to the days off during the playoffs; plus one of our starters will move to the pen as well).

Montero has been decent.

If Politte comes back healthy, a trade may not need to happen.

Just a thought:

If KW and Ozzie tell Judy that he's being removed from the rotation for McCarthy, would he waive his no-trade clause?

Wasn't it the Mariners who asked for McCarthy in exchange for Villone? I remember last trade deadline he was the hot name on the market at reliever and the Marlins ended up getting him for some great talent I believe Yorman Bazardo and Mike Flannery. Bazardo has an absolutely great arm, that's the kind of thing you're going to see this year as well.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Montero has been decent.

Just a thought:

If KW and Ozzie tell Judy that he's being removed from the rotation for McCarthy, would he waive his no-trade clause?

good question....they can certainly use it for leverage...i would think so since jon already has his ring and will make his bank wherever he goes....maybe not tho who knows

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Montero has been decent.

Just a thought:

Thats a very good point. I think you have something there.

San Diego could be a team that would love to have Josh Fields at 3rd base. Problem is, their 1st round choice in this year's draft, Matt Antonelli is also a 3rd baseman, and could be ready in a season or 2.

But I've long thought, if you wanted a mega trade package, if you offered Garland and Fields for say Linebrink, Cassidy and 2 real good prospects .............

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
I think maybe Rogowski and another player. I dont think we would have to sell the farm for Roberto Hernandez. I think the Pirates will want multiple prospects though, but not top prospects.

Rogowski I can see Dave Littlefield being interested in, because they've got Sean Casey who'll be a FA after this season, and then Brad Eldred who's injured ATM IIRC. And Rogo could always possibly play a corner OF position as well.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:06 AM)
I dont really trust pitchers for the Padres. They play in a weak division in an extreme pitchers park. He has only pitched 18 innings for them but Jon Adkins has 2.50 era in that park.

Linebrink (2006):

Home: 14.2 IP, 3.07 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, .200 BAA

Away: 14.1 IP, 2.51 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, .189 BAA

Linebrink (2005):

Home: 32.2 IP, 3.31 ERA, 1.47 WHIP, .285 BAA

Away: 41.0 IP, 0.66 ERA, 0.73 WHIP, .144 BAA

Seems to me he's been better on the road.