What would decent reliever cost us?

BFirebird

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
San Diego could be a team that would love to have Josh Fields at 3rd base. Problem is, their 1st round choice in this year's draft, Matt Antonelli is also a 3rd baseman, and could be ready in a season or 2.

That's why I was thinking Linebrink, but if that guy is as good as they hope he is, they might just want a stopgap. Here's hoping he falls flat on his face so they'll want Fields even more. According to Padre fans I've talked to, they're scouring AAA trying to find 3Bs though. I'd have to think that option 1 or 1a would be Fields considering his age and the fact that he's hitting the cover off the ball in Charlotte.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
But I've long thought, if you wanted a mega trade package, if you offered Garland and Fields for say Linebrink, Cassidy and 2 real good prospects .............

I like the way you think. Maybe we could get Carillo in that package? I know a lot of people around here like him.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
Matt Antonelli is also a 3rd baseman, and could be ready in a season or 2.

Can't he play just about any infield position though, or am I confusing him with someone else?

I prefer avoiding the mediocre route because I don't see the value in them. What we need is a Dustin Hermanson or Cliff Politte of 2005. That type of pitcher can improve our bullpen, make us tougher in the playoffs and might even be the difference in repeating or not.

THINK DOMINANCE.

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
I prefer avoiding the mediocre route because I don't see the value in them. What we need is a Dustin Hermanson or Cliff Politte of 2005. That type of pitcher can improve our bullpen, make us tougher in the playoffs and might even be the difference in repeating or not.

THINK DOMINANCE.

Dominance in reliever form:

Linebrink.jpg

At least he'll probably be the best available.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
Dominance in reliever form:

Linebrink.jpg

At least he'll probably be the best available.

He would satisfy my request for a dominant bullpen arm.

Is he really available though? Looking at his stats, it appears SD owns his rights for the next 3 years. He's young, cheap and good. Why would SD want to trade him away?

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:03 PM)
He would satisfy my request for a dominant bullpen arm.

Is he really available though? Looking at his stats, it appears SD owns his rights for the next 3 years. He's young, cheap and good. Why would SD want to trade him away?

To get their hands on Fields, thereby filling their biggest organizational hole.

When I started this post I didn't figure the Sox would make a trade so quick and have to give up so little. The trade will probably help both teams but Kenny still needs some more bullpen help..good step in the right direction though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
The question was what would a decent reliever cost us. I beleive we got the answer today in Javier Lopez.

So no.

Look about 8 posts up.

Edited by SoxFan1

Not Scott Shields;

Donnelly Frustrated With His Role

June 16

Los Angeles Times (registration required): "That was the message Donnelly's agent, Dominic Torres, had for Bill Stoneman in late April, when Torres phoned the Angels general manager to request a trade."

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
Donnelly would be a solid choice...

Any guy who has his agent call the GM and request a trade because they don't like how he's being used in the bullpen, wouldn't last long on the White Sox. Donnelly has been throwing in set up for years and now he doesn't like how he's being used?! See ya. The sox wouldn't waste any prospects on this guy