NFL and HGH

since a baseball player was pretty much caught red handed with HGH and now baeball is getting a lot of flack about their steriod/HGH policy. I wonder why the same scrutiny does go towards the NFL. They do not test for HGH. Gene Upshaw said over the weekend he doesnt support it because its unreliable.

Why is this there is disconnect between the 2 sports?

And how many NFL players do you think take HGH

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
since a baseball player was pretty much caught red handed with HGH and now baeball is getting a lot of flack about their steriod/HGH policy. I wonder why the same scrutiny does go towards the NFL. They do not test for HGH. Gene Upshaw said over the weekend he doesnt support it because its unreliable.

Why is this there is disconnect between the 2 sports?

And how many NFL players do you think take HGH

The disconnect between the 2 sports has 2 sources. 1. the NFL had at least some sort of steroid testing program running a few years ago. In other words, they were at least doing something at the time when MLB was doing absolutely nothing. I don't think what they were doing has been effective at all (ask Romanowski and Sauerbrun), but they at least were able to go to Congress and say "We were trying!"

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, no sport holds its records in such high regard as baseball. At least none I care about. Growing up, you see highlights in baseball of people breaking records almost as often as you see them win the world series. How many times have people seen Hank Aaron's 715th? Because of the fact that such vaunted records were taken down by guys who were so obviously juicing, it has focused added attention on baseball. If Mac and Sosa don't chase after 61 in '98, and Bonds doesn't pass them, I doubt Congress ever even gets involved.

And how many NFL players take the stuff? I wouldn't be surprised if it was a majority.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
Like Balta said, the NFL has been in the forefront of this stuff. They have a rigid testing program, and have done so all along. Baseball has drug its feet and fought change at every possible chance.

I'm not sure Rigid is the word I'd use, but it's certainly better than what Baseball had until basically this year.

The NFL has tried to keep steroids out of it's sport, and it doesn't have all the benchmark records baseball does, so that is why they have stayed out of the spotlight. However, I will say there is little doubt that HGH is more rampant in football than even in baseball....there is no urine test for it, and those guys aren't all THAT huge and THAT ripped and able to recover like that on accident.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
The NFL has tried to keep steroids out of it's sport, and it doesn't have all the benchmark records baseball does, so that is why they have stayed out of the spotlight. However, I will say there is little doubt that HGH is more rampant in football than even in baseball....there is no urine test for it, and those guys aren't all THAT huge and THAT ripped and able to recover like that on accident.

I can't be the only one who's noticed that 300 lb linemen seemed very rare 10 years ago, and now 350 pound linemen are the rare ones.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
I can't be the only one who's noticed that 300 lb linemen seemed very rare 10 years ago, and now 350 pound linemen are the rare ones.

Amen. And there is a reason besides regular old legal modern medicine that a guy like Thomas Jones (among many others, he's just the one I thought of) can badly sprain knee ligaments and only miss a game or two.

I recall reading about Refrigderator Perry a couple years ago, and when he was drafted he was one of only two or three in the league that were above 300 pounds and he was encouraged to get under the 300 pound mark. Now