Garland

Chisoxfn

Neal Cotts kept the damage to two runs, but a triple on a play off of Scotty's glove (personally speaking I think its a ball that a lot of LF'ers catch, but I'm not going to call it an easy play) was about the only hard hit ball (until Mike Young knocked him out of the game with an RBI double).

Here's my thoughts on Garland's performance (curious to hear what others thought of him):

Jon threw a good game. He had a shaky 6th inning and obviously you'd like to see him go deeper in the game, but he got a ton of ground ball outs and seemed to be throwing a little easier.

Stunk he couldn't go deeper, but the Rangers really had some good AB's on him and eventually he made a mistake to Young (after Young fouled off some tough pitches; its also a play Dye makes some of the time, but Garland gave up the hard hit ball and thats on him). Kinsler also had a really good AB (to draw the 1 out walk that started things).

Overall I thought Jon threw the ball pretty good.

NOTE: I posted this in the game thread, but when I thought about it, I figured this is an easier place for those who may not have been able to see the game to find info on Garland's start.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Neal Cotts kept the damage to two runs, but a triple on a play off of Scotty's glove (personally speaking I think its a ball that a lot of LF'ers catch, but I'm not going to call it an easy play) was about the only hard hit ball (until Mike Young knocked him out of the game with an RBI double).

Here's my thoughts on Garland's performance (curious to hear what others thought of him):

Jon threw a good game. He had a shaky 6th inning and obviously you'd like to see him go deeper in the game, but he got a ton of ground ball outs and seemed to be throwing a little easier.

Stunk he couldn't go deeper, but the Rangers really had some good AB's on him and eventually he made a mistake to Young (after Young fouled off some tough pitches; its also a play Dye makes some of the time, but Garland gave up the hard hit ball and thats on him). Kinsler also had a really good AB (to draw the 1 out walk that started things).

Overall I thought Jon threw the ball pretty good.

NOTE: I posted this in the game thread, but when I thought about it, I figured this is an easier place for those who may not have been able to see the game to find info on Garland's start.

my thoughts exactly

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:13 PM)
I personally think he could've given up nothing. I believe Pods should definitely have caught that ball, but I may be wrong because I was doing a lot of work while I was watching it. And then the Dye play seemed catchable, too.

Exactly, but Garland did give up the hard hit balls and thats on him. Your right though and I think an Avg LF makes that play on Wilkerson's triple while Dye usually would make that catch (but he was a bit turned around).

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
I think Oz made the right call. He had a decent outing going and Judy was screaming to get out. Best to leave it to the pen at that point.

The nice part was that Jon was able to leave and be in a spot to get the win. Its got to be a confidence boost for Jon. The only problem is Jon has done this as of late (good start going) only to get rattled later in the game.

I'm glad he took him out. Of course, I say this because it ended up working out. And now it might give him confidence that he pitched well today.

One thing I didn't like was Hawk talking about the bullpen letting Garland down a whole lot. All I could think was, "it can't be very easy for a reliever to come into a game with 1 out and runners on 2nd and 3rd."

Ozzie showed great timing with Garland. His pitches were up in the zone in the 6th inning. Something I criticize Ozzie on is that he's not proactive enough getting guys up in the pen. I'll applaud him for getting Cotts ready at the start of that inning.

I'm happy that Jon got his G/F ratio back where it needs to be. He's not an overpowering guy, so he'll have balls hit hard, but if they're hit hard on a line or on the ground, then he will continue to have success.

I just hope that Jon can string a few good outings together and gain some confidence heading into the 2nd half. The key for Jon is obviously to have his good sinker working, (and keeping balls down in the zone in general) and along with that, not walking guys.

He's mostly continued the improved BB/9 numbers he posted last year. If he can continue to work down in the count, I see no reason he can't post a 4.50 ERA from this point on and be a more than adequate 5th starter.

Whether or not that justifies his contract is another story completely...

Edited by chitownsportsfan

I don't like to over analyze, so I'll keep it simple. He mixed his pitches, kept the ball down, and didn't overuse the 4 seamer. As a result, he would have finished with 6 IP and 1 run allowed if his corner outfielders didn't pose as butchers for the night, so I was very encouraged.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I would take that same performance from Jon for the rest of his career.

Yeah it would be nice for him to get into the 7th, but he didn't allow a HR, which he had done in 10 out of his 12 previous starts.

Also, he only allowed 5 hits and a walk over 5.1IP. It is definitely a start, now hopefully he can come back vs CIN and throw into the 7th.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I personally think he could've given up nothing. I believe Pods should definitely have caught that ball, but I may be wrong because I was doing a lot of work while I was watching it. And then the Dye play seemed catchable, too.

Your right on both plays that should have been made, however if Dye catches that ball at the track, it's the 2nd out and the man on 3rd tags and scores, so it would have been man on 1st 2 outs for Texiera, so that 1 run was legitimate. However Jon did pitch much better than the final box score said IMO, all things considered.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 07:36 PM)
I think Oz made the right call. He had a decent outing going and Judy was screaming to get out. Best to leave it to the pen at that point.

Agreed. Ozzie took him out at exactly the right time. Hats off to Cotts for cleaning up Judy's mess as well.

Didn't see the first four innings, but it appears that Jon pitched pretty well. And that's great news. He's looked much better over his last three or four starts and hopefully that trend will continue.