Garland

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
Well let me ask, are you happy Ozzie took him out, or would you have preferred to see Jon try and get out of it himself?

He was only at 91 pitches, so he had all kinds of room to try and wiggle his way out of the inning pitch wise.

I was alright with it. I think OZZ took him out so that nothing BAD would happen, and just keep his confidence up. Garland has been up and down in his starts, this was a good start, he was fairly consistent and did make just a couple of bad pitches, I hope he realizes his location was pretty good

and thats why he was effective. This ranger team can hit, so not bad for Jonny G.

QUOTE(rudylaw @ Jun 13, 2006 -> 09:09 PM)
All take this from Jon for the rest of his time with the White Sox. This is what Jon is, he is not an ace. If Jon can win 13-15 games per year and have an era around in the low to mid 4s I'll be a happy man.

Both of those would be nothing short of miraculous...do you really think he can win 8-10 games in his next 20 starts and have an ERA under 3?

I think 11-12 wins, 4.90 era is more realistic and I would be ecstatic with that...

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:58 AM)
Both of those would be nothing short of miraculous...do you really think he can win 8-10 games in his next 20 starts and have an ERA under 3?

I think 11-12 wins, 4.90 era is more realistic and I would be ecstatic with that...

Garland won 8 in a row to start last year, then ran into troubles in the second half. I don't see any reason he can't find a groove again -- perhaps starting with last night's game -- and win a bunch of games. His ERA is over 6 and he's still gone 5-3. I don't see any reason why he can't win 9-10 of his remaining 18 starts, especially if our bullpen gets better.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Garland won 8 in a row to start last year, then ran into troubles in the second half. I don't see any reason he can't find a groove again -- perhaps starting with last night's game -- and win a bunch of games. His ERA is over 6 and he's still gone 5-3. I don't see any reason why he can't win 9-10 of his remaining 18 starts, especially if our bullpen gets better.

Agreed about the starts, but it's unlikely that his ERA will get back down to the low 4's. Possible, but not likely.

I gotta give Jon props for pitching decently last night as I thought he was going to get shelled. Would love to see him go into the 7th at least but I'll take baby steps at this point.

Heard the same comment from Hawk about how Garland hasn't had help from the bullpen and shook my head. The guy's given up 19 HRs 3 months in, what the bullpen has to do with that, I'd luuuuuuv to hear Hawk's answer. Though Hawk did make a good pt about the '03 Sept game where the Twins rallied from 10 - 2 in the 9th like the Sox did Sun nite and how that ignited the Twins the rest of the way. Looks like the Sox are riding that same effect right now :headbang

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
What are you talking about? That ball was hit over his head onto the track. Oh, and Jermaine didn't put two extra men on base, either.

It was over Dye's head because Dye froze for over a full second, then took off again and just barely missed the ball. If Dye makes that should be catch, it's 5-2 with a man on 1st and 2 outs. And also, the Rangers don't score in the 2nd if Pods makes the should catch on Wilkerson's ball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
It was over Dye's head because Dye froze for over a full second, then took off again and just barely missed the ball. If Dye makes that should be catch, it's 5-2 with a man on 1st and 2 outs. And also, the Rangers don't score in the 2nd if Pods makes the should catch on Wilkerson's ball.

He did freeze briefly, but it wasn't exactly a "over full second." Dye was also playing in because of the runner on 3rd (Jon's fault) and the ball landed on the edge of the warning track. Could he have made the play? Perhaps, but that ball was hit pretty hard and we're talking about a big, lumbering RF here, not Anderson. If Dye did make the catch, the runner from 3rd would've tagged and the end result (score-wise) would've been the same. With the way that Jon was pitching that inning (a walk, a 1B, and a ball crushed to the RF warning track), it's probably best that he left at that point anyway. I didn't see the first four innings, so I can't comments on Pods' play.