Today's feel good story brought to you by......

NUKE_CLEVELAND

I do what I can to protect myself.

-I have credit-protector set up with my credit card company.

-I pull my credit report every month to ensure things are on the up and up.

-I shred unnecessary documents with the fervor of an Enron executive.

That's about all I can think of. Since I can't trust the government to safeguard my personal info I suppose the best I can do is to watch my credit report and if ID theft hits me then try to minimize the damage.

I'm not sure why CNN is being blamed here. I didn't watch the video (blocked), but I saw nothing in the article pointing to the specific location of this information. And that is exactly how they should have reported it - we need to know, but don't give criminals an easy entry.

But I sure as heck am upset with any gov't agency allowing that information to float around out there. Unfortunately, given the record of agencies like the FBI (whose computer system is a joke), I have little faith in most of our government to secure our information.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 05:37 AM)
I do what I can to protect myself.

-I have credit-protector set up with my credit card company.

-I pull my credit report every month to ensure things are on the up and up.

-I shred unnecessary documents with the fervor of an Enron executive.

That's about all I can think of. Since I can't trust the government to safeguard my personal info I suppose the best I can do is to watch my credit report and if ID theft hits me then try to minimize the damage.

Unfortunately Nuke, as far as I can tell, the government has already lost your personal info, so yeah, that's probably a good idea.