Pods like Michael Jackson

J-MAN

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
Anything over 10 is pretty damn bad for a corner outfielder. Only Jermaine Dye had more than 10 among qualified OF's last year.

And that doesn't count the two plays that went of his glove that they ruled hits!!!!!!!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
that was a pretty tough catch. Wilkerson had the same chance the day before and looked worse. Not a huge issue.

I can't recall clearly, but I'm pretty sure the ball Wilkerson went after was higher up the wall, whereas Pods pretty much had that ball.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Some good players make over 20 errors a season. 5-6 plays? fine with me.

for a left fielder thats not ok

a shortstop can make 20 errors fine with me, but pods doesn't get nearly the number of chances, and his offense isn't helping right now

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
That means nothing. Have you seen the league leaders in errors at other positions right now? Come on man, talk about really cherry picking some stats. 3x as many erros, you are talking about a difference of 4 errors. That can happen in a weekend, s*** in a game.

That's not cherry picking at all, OFs in general do not make a lot of errors it's just the way it is. Infielders have way more chances and thus make more errors. Any time you see an OF especially a corner OF with as many errors as Podsednik has right now you have to be seriously concerned.

I didn't realize that he had that many errors already. He's got 6, which is twice as many has he had all last year. That's gotta be a concern. I'm not saying that we need to replace him, but it'd be nice if he'd get his head out of his ass.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
I didn't realize that he had that many errors already. He's got 6, which is twice as many has he had all last year. That's gotta be a concern. I'm not saying that we need to replace him, but it'd be nice if he'd get his head out of his ass.

The errors are even more disturbing when you factor in that he has one of the worst throwing arms in baseball.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:34 PM)
And replace him with who? Ozuna, who doesn't play LF well and whose OBP will be lower? Fields, who hasn't played LF at all and hasn't seen major-league pitching yet?

If Pods fails to put up a .350 OBP and steals less than 30 bases this year (or has significat groin poblems again), I'm all for looking for an alternative. But he currently has a .344 OBP, has already swiped 21 bags, and his healthy, so I don't think that's going to happen. There's no point in replacing him with an inferior player.

How long are we gonna cling to that OBP as an argument for how good Pods is doing?

pods.jpg

Check those June numbers...check that OBP so far. Look at who we've played in June. This month, Pittsburgh is really the only bad team we play. We are playing all quality teams, and Pods has all but disappeared. Now a .247 BA with a .343 OBP for our glorious leadoff hitter. Check his OBP against other leadoff hitters in the league...actually, I'll tell you how he ranks..Pods ranks 9th out of 14 regular leadoff hitters in OBP.

That would almost be acceptable if he had any skills at all in the outfield. But lets not forget his horrid throwing arm, and terrible reads he gets going to his right.

Pods is not that good of a player, period.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
And replace him with who? Ozuna, who doesn't play LF well and whose OBP will be lower? Fields, who hasn't played LF at all and hasn't seen major-league pitching yet?

If Pods fails to put up a .350 OBP and steals less than 30 bases this year (or has significat groin poblems again), I'm all for looking for an alternative. But he currently has a .344 OBP, has already swiped 21 bags, and his healthy, so I don't think that's going to happen. There's no point in replacing him with an inferior player.

If his OBP is under .350 for the season, the Sox should go find a different leadoff hitter for 2007. No matter how many bases his steals.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
If his OBP is under .350 for the season, the Sox should go find a different leadoff hitter for 2007. No matter how many bases his steals.

There is no chance of that happening. In fact, the only way his OBP ends up below .375 is if he stops walking or hits below his career average. He's not doing well right now, but he'll bounce back just like he did in late April.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
There is no chance of that happening. In fact, the only way his OBP ends up below .375 is if he stops walking or hits below his career average. He's not doing well right now, but he'll bounce back just like he did in late April.

Pal, his career OBP is .351, only one point higher than the .350 that you say he has no chance of slipping below. Are you delusional?

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
Pal, his career OBP is .351, only one point higher than the .350 that you say he has no chance of slipping below. Are you delusional?

He's only hitting .253 right now.....the OBP is still around .350 though since he's drawing a lot more walks. And like I said, unless he stops drawing walks or hits below his career .275 average, his OBP should be .375. Not sure what part of that you don't understand.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
He's only hitting .253 right now.....the OBP is still around .350 though since he's drawing a lot more walks. And like I said, unless he stops drawing walks or hits below his career .275 average, his OBP should be .375. Not sure what part of that you don't understand.

I'll bet you 100 dollars his OBP at the end of the year isn't .375.

Actually his career OBP is .345, his OBP last year, his "All-star" year, was .351.