Russ Ortiz

BDavisFutureHOF

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Only reason I ask is because I am not too familiar with his stuff and have heard that the Arizona air is supposed to hamper the use of all your breaking stuff.

more so in tucson than in phoenix, phoenix is in a valley so the altitude isnt horrible....that is one reason the sox wanna get outa tucson for ST

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:08 AM)
If Russ Ortiz has any brains at all, he signs with Baltimore as soon as he's released.

He definately better be sharing that contract with Mazzone

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
Fixed.

Yup, iirc most of the Ortiz talk here was just a big sigh of relief.

Mazzone obviously hasn't done much for the O's, btw.

Its still early. It takes pitchers a while to make adjustments, plus he has a whole staff of guys to try to fix there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
Its still early. It takes pitchers a while to make adjustments, plus he has a whole staff of guys to try to fix there.

Maybe. But it seemed as if his repo jobs in Atlanta seemed to adjust pretty quick (I'm thinking of Thomson and Wright, mostly), and I don't see why Baltimore would be any different. The Baltimore pitchers even seemed to regress.

They have had a good few weeks, so it could be he's turning them around. And don't get me wrong, I've been a pretty big Mazzone believer, to the point of heavily drafting O's pitchers in the late rounds of fantasy drafts. Among my many bad choices.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KW almost traded for him before he went to Atlanta. I haven't seen him pitch at all this year, but last year he was awful. He must be just horrid if the DBacks can't get anyone to trade for him while eating most of his contract. Guys that have that much much just eaten, unless their name is Tim Thomas, are usually done, or at least not much of a player anymore.

He almost traded Carlos Lee for him when he was with the Giants before the 2003 season.

Here's the problem; every team is saying to themselves the exact same things we are saying right now. He would only cost the minimum for the rest of this year and the next two. That's only if he clears waivers.

It's going to be a matter of which team will take on the most money, and then which team will actually give up something of value to get him.

If some how he does clear waivers, I'd take him over Tracey or Politte. I could only imagine this board's reaction if he were to sign with Detroit and pitch in Maroth's spot and take advantage of that monstorous park.

:o

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
He almost traded Carlos Lee for him when he was with the Giants before the 2003 season.

Here's the problem; every team is saying to themselves the exact same things we are saying right now. He would only cost the minimum for the rest of this year and the next two. That's only if he clears waivers.

It's going to be a matter of which team will take on the most money, and then which team will actually give up something of value to get him.

If some how he does clear waivers, I'd take him over Tracey or Politte. I could only imagine this board's reaction if he were to sign with Detroit and pitch in Maroth's spot and take advantage of that monstorous park.

This seems too long, too low-key to be sarcasm, but good Lord, it must be...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)

He's going to clear waivers. Anyone claiming him would be responsible for the balance of his contract. Arizona's only option is to try and trade him and get someone to pick up more than the minimum, or if they will only pick up the minumum, give the DBacks some lower level prospect.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)

I don't know about you, but I would enjoy the Tigers losing 1/5 of their games outright. He'd be like our fifth starter woes on the 2003-2004 teams.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Maybe. But it seemed as if his repo jobs in Atlanta seemed to adjust pretty quick (I'm thinking of Thomson and Wright, mostly), and I don't see why Baltimore would be any different. The Baltimore pitchers even seemed to regress.

They have had a good few weeks, so it could be he's turning them around. And don't get me wrong, I've been a pretty big Mazzone believer, to the point of heavily drafting O's pitchers in the late rounds of fantasy drafts. Among my many bad choices.

The difference being he had a staff full of guys he had worked with an a couple of new guys, versus having a whole staff of guys he had never worked with at all. It might even be next year before you really see some of these guys emerge.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
The difference being he had a staff full of guys he had worked with an a couple of new guys, versus having a whole staff of guys he had never worked with at all. It might even be next year before you really see some of these guys emerge.
there's nothing in Ortiz's 06 stats that would substantiate a 22 million investment. Coop can do wonders but it :cheers looks by Russ's games that he's terribly inconsistent. Hmm sounds like another sox pitcher before coop turned him around.........................Maybe Contreras can teach him how to pitch like a Cuban..................

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 07:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's going to clear waivers. Anyone claiming him would be responsible for the balance of his contract. Arizona's only option is to try and trade him and get someone to pick up more than the minimum, or if they will only pick up the minumum, give the DBacks some lower level prospect.

I didn't say anyone would claim him, I think a team like the Reds or Tigers would still be dumb enough to take on $4 million a year of his salary.

QUOTE(BDavisFutureHOF @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
Quick question -- what kind of pitches does Ortiz feature. I know he had a pretty lively fastball a few years back but did he rely on breaking stuff at all?

He throws a 86-90 MPH Fastball a breaking pitch that he has no idea how to control and a change up. I have seen him in Person and if he complains about the mild AZ crowd getting on him after giving up 7 runs in 3 innings can you imagine if he did that in Chicago?

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
He threw a 4 seam fastball 91-94 up in the zone. He was an extreme flyball pitcher. How would that work here you ask, badly I would say.

He had a slider/hard curve I believe and maybe a change.

\\

He lost at least 4 of the fastball, a curve ball that he completely lost control of, and a change up.

He is still a flyball pitcher and it ends up with the hitter taking it off the wall in CF.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)

No ballpark could help him out. Here is the 4th inning line from his last outing

Jose Reyes Walks

Endy Chavez Walks

Carlos Beltran Doubles on a line drive to CF

Carlos Delgado Doubles on flyball to RF

David Wright Doubles on a line drive to LF

Chris Woodward Doubles on a Flyball to RF

Lastings Milledge Triples on a line drive to RF

It'd probably be worth for Russ just to take the rest of the year off, to just try and get that arm strength back up, so he can start throwing in the 90's again.

But in any scenario, the only way he's going to have success is if he's with Leo Mazzone, and Leo himself is under pressure at Baltimore at the moment.

How about Washington?

Bowden claimed Drese off a waivers. It's a huge ballpark, and Bowden is pretty much out the door with his DUI. What better way to say "f*** you" to an organization than claiming Ortiz off of waivers? :lol:

He's put up some absoltley PATHETIC peripheral stats over the last year or so. Terrribly low K rates and awfully high BB rates.

This guy is garbage, you rbetting off bringing up a AAA vet or a minor league fringe player than adding him.