Sox Sign Skrmetta

Heads22

A week ago, Matt Skrmetta was

cradling his newborn baby girl, studying for his real estate license and forgetting all about the major leagues.

This week, the 33-year-old hard-throwing right-handed pitcher is lacing up his cleats again after signing a one-year deal with the world champion Chicago White Sox, who sent him to one of the winningest teams in all of baseball, their Triple-A affiliate Charlotte (N.C.) Knights.

"I'm not done yet," said Skrmetta, his voice dripping more with enthusiasm than a sense of relief. "I'm back in the game, and it feels great."

The former Satellite High star's well-traveled 14-year pro career has taken him from Jamestown to Japan. Now he'll be wearing a cap for a record 24th professional team and his 13th organization, breaking pitcher Mike Morgan's record, which took 22 seasons to accumulate.

It's only the third American League club Skrmetta has been with, but the last time he went 8-1 with a 2.54 ERA for the Kansas City Royals' Triple-A team in Omaha, yet never got called up.

At last look, Charlotte was 44-18, 131/2 games ahead of the Durham Bulls in the International League's South Division.

"They said they needed some help," Skrmetta said, "but when I got here, I saw where they had a 2.70 team ERA and said, 'Wait a minute, you don't need me.' But I'll take it. They said they're just interested in getting me ready for the big club."

The White Sox, second in the AL Central behind Detroit, has seen its one-vaunted bullpen spring several leaks, though closer Bobby Jenks does have 18 saves.

Skrmetta replaces Hideo Nomo, who was released. Coincidentally, when he made his major-league debut in 2000, Skrmetta replaced another Japanese pitcher, Hideki Irabu.

The Knights, managed by former Montreal infielder Razor Shines (last year's Southern League manager of the year), have veterans Tim Redding, Nate Cornejo and Ruben Rivera on their roster.

In the spring, Skrmetta had signed with the Chicago Cubs, and although he allowed just one earned run in "B" games with his nasty splitter and 94 mph slider, they let him go.

"It hurt, hurt a lot, because for the first time I'd been released without my consent," he said. "It stung. You always know that one day it's going to happen, but then again I came home to my new wife and family. I haven't followed the game since then.

"I guess I had some baseball bitterness. But I've been watching a lot of ESPN so I can catch up."

His agent, John Esposito of West Melbourne, never gave up hope.

"I had been feeding a lot of teams his recent stats all along," Esposito said. "I told them in his last three Triple-A seasons, he had a combined 3.00 ERA. It was funny. The White Sox just called one day and asked, 'What's Matt been doing?' The next day, he was on a plane."

Skrmetta has averaged nearly a strikeout an inning over the course of 700-plus innings during his career. He's compiled a 53-37 record with 41 saves. Now he hopes to add to his brief collection of 14 major-league appearances.

"Anything could happen with him," Esposito said. "You look at (Roger) Clemens, Randy Johnson and (Curt) Schilling. They're all still doing it and they're in great shape. Matt takes pride of staying in shape, and that's what's helped him get this far."

Although he'll leave his wife of six months, Lisa, her two daughters and his new baby girl, Katie Evelyn ("She might be a golfer and go after Michelle Wie"), back home in Sunnyland Beach, he's already reacquainted himself with an old friend.

Erik Whiteside, a former Satellite High quarterback who was a second baseman on Skrmetta's runner-up state baseball team, is letting him stay in his Charlotte home.

"I'm just sitting down to a homemade chicken and pasta salad dinner," Skrmetta said, laughing.

He'll be wearing No. 30 for the Knights.

"Wow," Esposito said, "he used to get those real high numbers in the 60s, so already he's off to a good start."

The numbers game, indeed, might be working in Skrmetta's favor.

"I'm ready," he said.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
that sounded strange to me. How is this is guy not on a team with a nasty splitter and a 94 mph slider.

Because most likely he cant hit the side of this with that great stuff.

04-412%20amish%20barn.jpg

Another reclamation project, which is our MO. Great arm, not a lot of success getting it in the strikezone most likely.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
heres an article on him as well.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../603050329/1002

looks like 312 walks in 686 innings in the minors.

:huh:

Catchers

Best: "Ben Davis was my catcher in Double-A and Triple-A with the Padres. Just giving me confidence, plus his throwing ability, helped me out a lot. "