Ron Necciai: The man who struck out 27 in 1 game

whitesoxfan101

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...Necciai_Ron.stm

The 6'5" 19-year-old Necciai received nationwide attention after his remarkable 27-strikeout, no-hit game of May 13, 1952, pitching for Bristol against Welch (Appalachian League). His performance was marred only by a walk, a hit batsman, a dropped third strike, and an error. His next start was a 24-strikeout two-hitter. That season he fanned 109 batters in 43 innings at Bristol and a Carolina League-high 172 in 126 innings at Durham before getting the call to Pittsburgh. Branch Rickey said, "There have been only two young pitchers I was certain were destined for greatness....One of those boys was Dizzy Dean. The other is Ron Necciai." Rocket Ron went 1-6. Plagued by ulcers and arm trouble, he soon was out of baseball.

I stumbled on this reading some things tonight....I actually had no idea about this guy or the fact he did this.

http://www.blueridgecountry.com/necciai/

That link has a much more extended and detailed story on Necciai. He actually had games of 19 and 20 strikeouts before the 27 game, and he struck out 24 and threw a 2 hitter in his very next start after the historic one in front of an overflow minor league crowd of 5,000+. It's a damn shame that he had what sounds like bad ulcer and arm issues that cut his career so incredibly short, he could have done a lot of amazing things it seems like.