Esteban Loaiza

BurlyMan56

a shame for him but he's no different than anyone else.

per rotoworld.com

Esteban Loaiza was arrested early Wednesday morning on DUI charges after officers pulled him over for speeding, a California Highway Patrol spokesman told the Oakland Tribune.

Officer Mike Wright said Loaiza was driving his Ferrari in excess of 120 mph about 3:30 a.m. He was arrested for reckless driving and driving under the influence when he failed a Breathalyzer test. Loaiza currently remains scheduled to make his start on Thursday. Unless the Breathalyzer picked up some HGH, he's in the clear, at least as far as baseball and the A's are concerned. Jun. 15 - 3:48 am et

Source: Oakland Tribune

It's so sad how DUI's mean absolutely nothing in sports now a days, for an actiont that kills so many people every year you'd figure clubs would actually take action against the asswipes who decide to get liquired up and drive their sports cares 100+ MPH around town but no they really don't give a s***. It's just such a sad state of affairs in pro sports these days.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
It's so sad how DUI's mean absolutely nothing in sports now a days, for an actiont that kills so many people every year you'd figure clubs would actually take action against the asswipes who decide to get liquired up and drive their sports cares 100+ MPH around town but no they really don't give a s***. It's just such a sad state of affairs in pro sports these days.

Great Post. This is something I would loe to see sports take a stand on since they were sooo quick on the steroids issues. Many of us would lose our jobs with one DUI. Why not these "role models" also known as athletes?

It's not just sports. DUI's don't mean much anywhere anymore. No jail time or loss of license and just a fine for your first offense. It's sad all over.

Couldn't agree more. I've seen too much damage from DUI's to have any tolerance for it.

I think we need a national law on it, frankly, something like what Germany has (first offense is a long-term license suspension AND jail time, second offense is PERMANENT revocation of license a a LOT of jail time).

As for Loaiza and baseball, I think he should be suspended with pay until the case is decided, and then the team has the option to not pay that time off if he is found guilty.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 07:09 AM)
Couldn't agree more. I've seen too much damage from DUI's to have any tolerance for it.

I think we need a national law on it, frankly, something like what Germany has (first offense is a long-term license suspension AND jail time, second offense is PERMANENT revocation of license a a LOT of jail time).

As for Loaiza and baseball, I think he should be suspended with pay until the case is decided, and then the team has the option to not pay that time off if he is found guilty.

Europe has no tolerance for DUI. Sweden, IIRC, is one strike and you're out for life. The punishment fits the crime.

I buried a childhood friend to a DUI, one the other childhood friend walked away from.

Driving under the influence of alcohol is reckless regardless of the automobile or speed, but when you consider he was behind the wheel of a 450HP engine with a blood-alcohol level exceeding .08, driving 120mph, it's ridiculous. Those were additional factors beyond alcohol consumption which made it dangerous for anyone on the road. It's a shame he probably won't learn from this.

He won this afternoon's start, BTW.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
He actually said that?

What an idiot.

I kinda paraphrased a little more than I realized, but here is the quote

"It can happen to anybody. We're all professionals. It happened to me, and I don't want it to happen to anybody else. I'm very sorry for everything."

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Great Post. This is something I would loe to see sports take a stand on since they were sooo quick on the steroids issues. Many of us would lose our jobs with one DUI. Why not these "role models" also known as athletes?

barkleyc.jpg

"I am not a role model."

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Close enough.

"It can happen to anybody" if they have the brain of a hamster.

I do not condone drunken driving in any way at all...but that quote sounds like it was taken from a spoken comment when asked about it, and with English being his second language (well, that and because of how much I enjoyed that great year he had here :)), I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and give more importance to the rest of that quote in which he says that he is very sorry and would not want anyone else to make the same mistake.