David Riske

Sox1422

Anytime you trade one of the left-handed "pitchers" brought in for the 2006 left-handed reliever competition for a certifiable MLB talent, you've improved your MLB club.

Lopez had no future in this organization. If he wasn't called up after the Boone Logan experiment or after call-ups including 40 year old rookie Agustin Montero, Sean Tracey, and someone who was out of the game of baseball after having been cut by the Cardinals in spring training, he wasn't ever going to get the call.

Hopefully this trade pays dividens in terms of that right-handed set-up situation.

He is a veteran, he has an expiring contract after the 2006 season...there is no down-side here.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still nothing on the wire services to confirm this report, but I can at least tell you It makes sense from the Bosox side.

Francona, before last night's game, talked about the need for a reliever to pitch against lefties and mentioned Delcarmen as a leading candidate. But Delcarmen, who had allowed only four hits in 17 at-bats against lefties (a .235 average), fell behind, 3 and 1, to Morneau.

``He jumped on the next fastball and cleared the bases," Delcarmen said succinctly. ``Can't fall behind and expect to get somebody out."

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Sounds like it coulda been a deal spurred on by 2 managers disgusted at what they saw, and pressed for a move sooner than later to fix their needs....hope someone else confirms this soon enough.

I understand the skepticism regarding Levine, but, after the Vizquel fiasco, the guy has been completely professional. He's not going to make that mistake again. Come on, the guy is a member of the media...he has a little more credibility than some wish to grant him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Offman just confirmed it.

This is just ridiculous...We had all been mentioning Roberto Hernandez, Borowski, etc., etc. the past week and we get a guy better than all of them for basically nothing. No prospects lost. Still plenty available to go after a top reliever is one becomes available or a CF if necessary...Fantasmic!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm not as willing to celebrate this as others are, because Riske is a major injury risk. If he stays healthy, it's gravy, but I'm not so that'll be the case. He seems quite screwed up to me.

There is absolutely nothing bad about this trade, I don't understand how you can't be excited.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
0-1 this year, 3.72 ERA, 1.14 WHIP. Full Riske Stats.

When you click on his ESPN player page, I like the first story under the "news" link back from 2005. Sort of ironic.

August 5, 2005

Millwood suspended five games for hitting Mariner

Cleveland Indians starter Kevin Millwood was suspended for five games Friday and reliever David Riske for four games for intentionally hitting batters during a game against the Seattle Mariners last week.

Edited by bighurt574

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
There is absolutely nothing bad about this trade, I don't understand how you can't be excited.

I'm not mourning Lopez, by any means.

I'm just saying that Riske's injuries this year make me a little less than enthusiastic about him staying healthy for the year. If he can, then by all means it's great, and if he can't, we certainly haven't lost much, but I'm not too excited until he's played a few games with us and stayed healthy for us.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)

:headbang we got him fo practically nothing. so if we wanted to get another solid rhp we still got the prospects.

>he cant to much worse than politte :ph34r:

KW yet again proves why he is the top GM in baseball. We got Thorton for almost nothing. We get Riske for a retread. Jenks claimed off waivers last year. Neal Cotts was a throw in to a trade a few years back. It is not as though we have payed a high premium for a solid bullpen. I can't wait to see what KW does next.

wow, don't know how kenny pulled this off, but good work.

HUGE upside, with really no downside, even if he can't stay healthy.

These are the type of guys we need inthe bullpen, we don't need the lidge's of the world, just give solid arms that will keep us in the game.

Great job

David Riske, "he of the good arm Riske's"

Riske can bring it, the back is definitely a question mark, he's had problems with it in the past.

But this is a deal you do any day of the week.

Also on a side note, good for Javier Lopez to get another major league shot, it's been said he's been nothing but professional and a major positive influence in Charlotte.

This is one reason to bring in a lot of these non roster guys in spring training, most will be junk but every once in a while one turns into an asset to use or trade.

great trade... hopefully this will help us sure up our bullpen (which has already been doing a lot better as of late)... if Riske can preform to even near his averages, and politte comes back to be a semi decent mop up guy, then we've got ourselves a good bullpen

good for lopez too, he really didnt have a spot here, and i hope he'll get a decent shot in boston

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
I'm not mourning Lopez, by any means.

I'm just saying that Riske's injuries this year make me a little less than enthusiastic about him staying healthy for the year. If he can, then by all means it's great, and if he can't, we certainly haven't lost much, but I'm not too excited until he's played a few games with us and stayed healthy for us.

C'mon, man, we've got the best trainer in the game in Herm Schneider. Don't go by the back injuries our players have because Herm's back is a total mess and Crede had herniated disks, which a trainer can't do much about during the season.

PLUS, look at the "injury risks" the Sox have picked up over the last couple of years: Jim Thome and Jermaine Dye. I think they are doing pretty well for themselves and haven't been injured. *knocks very hard on wood*