David Riske

Sox1422

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
Riske was the one guy we had trouble with last season when he was on Cleveland. I like this move. Good job KW! I would still like one more solid arm down there.

You can argue Betancourt as well. We always sucked against him until this year.

I heard some talk of it being possible but I didn't take any stock in it till I heard it official.

Riske's stats look respectable, a lot of Major League experience. This trade sounds good to me.

Edited by whitesox1976

Great deal by Kenny for a lot of reasons.

When healthy, Riske has shown he can be very effective as a set-up man. His contract is quite affordable at $1.8M for this season only.

And also, considering the cost of acquiring a reliever at the deadline last season (B-Mac for Villione), KW did a great job at only giving up Lopez, a journeyman lefty at best.

Reading some of the Red Sox's fans thoughts on Riske, his K numbers have decreased and he's a pretty big flyball pitcher apparently, so some possible warning signs there in terms of pitching at the Cell.

Looking at the stats, 2004 K/9 of 9, down to 4.6 this season. Only a GB% of 41.9% with a HR/F of 15.7%.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
Reading some of the Red Sox's fans thoughts on Riske, his K numbers have decreased and he's a pretty big flyball pitcher apparently, so some possible warning signs there in terms of pitching at the Cell.

Looking at the stats, 2004 K/9 of 9, down to 4.6 this season. Only a GB% of 41.9% with a HR/F of 15.7%.

I was going to note this. 11 dingers each of the last two years. Seems like the only "risk" other than his back. Fastball 80% of the time, changeup 15% of the time, throws an occasional slider.

I'll join the GREAT TRADE chorus on here. For Javier Lopez?? What a STEAL!! Riske is going to slide right into the Cliff Politte role and keep McCarthy doing what he does best -- pitch two-inning stints.

Now, if Politte really is done with his shoulder soreness, I don't mind carrying Montero until Kenny can swing something else in a month or so. As many others have said, we haven't spent any significant capital. Lopez may help Boston a tiny bit, but Riske was an ESSENTIAL piece we needed now if we want to start clicking on all cylinders.

KW IS THE MAN!

Today the sox aquired David Riske from the BoSox. Not a bad move. Riske was on the 15 Day DL earlier in the season and in limited work he has a 3.72 ERA, an 0-1 record, and 9 2/3 IP in 8 appearances. I wouldnt be surprised if the sox make another move. This will probably work out in the end, but I don't think he's our savior either.

Lopez pitched tonight for Boston, giving up a walk and a hit, but also inducing a double play.

I really like this deal. Riske can settle into a low pressure, low leverage role and make sure Cotts and B-MAC don't get overworked. Lopez has been junk his whole career, and I believe the Red Sox are hoping his AAA stats from this year are somehow indicitive he's turned a corner--I however, am speptical.

Another panic move by Theo Epstein and the Red Sox. Great pick-up for the White Sox.

The whole reason for making this deal in the first place was to add a southpaw to the bullpen, but what amazes me is that his entire career, Riske has been almost unhittable against lefties, infact he's been significantly better against left handed bats than he is against righties.

For the White Sox' sake, hopefully Ozzie will use him right, and place him in the Thornton/Cotts role and use him only sparingly for full innings of work. Odds are that won't happen, afterall this is Ozzie Guillen we are talking about.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)

This type of thing is common for pitcher's with back pain. The pitchers don't flex the spine enough to finish the pitches and they leave the ball up. This in turn leads to more flyballs, increased HRs and decreased Ks. If hermie gets him on a good rehab program there is a chance for him to return to the Riske of old condidering he in only 28 and not losing his stuff.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
This type of thing is common for pitcher's with back pain. The pitchers don't flex the spine enough to finish the pitches and they leave the ball up. This in turn leads to more flyballs, increased HRs and decreased Ks. If hermie gets him on a good rehab program there is a chance for him to return to the Riske of old condidering he in only 28 and not losing his stuff.

Well I'd make sure he's definitely 100% before we start using him frequently. I think we've actually got a little bit of depth in this bullpen now, because you've got Politte to come off the DL, and Tracey's in AAA and he showed he can get major league hitters out even though he's in Ozzie's doghouse ATM.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Another panic move by Theo Epstein and the Red Sox. Great pick-up for the White Sox.

The whole reason for making this deal in the first place was to add a southpaw to the bullpen, but what amazes me is that his entire career, Riske has been almost unhittable against lefties, infact he's been significantly better against left handed bats than he is against righties.

For the White Sox' sake, hopefully Ozzie will use him right, and place him in the Thornton/Cotts role and use him only sparingly for full innings of work. Odds are that won't happen, afterall this is Ozzie Guillen we are talking about.

Ahhh, couldnt find anything negative about the trade, so you had to try and take a pot shot at the way Ozzie uses his pen? Nice work.