David Riske

Sox1422

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Actually, after the surprise wore off of me...this is a DAMN fine deal. Wow, way to pull the trigger Kenny.

No doubt. Thank you, Javier Lopez. That guy really paid off. Like someone already said, KW pulled a guy off the scrap heap, made him seem desirable, and got us a damn fine reliever for him.

I just hope his back (thanks, Felix) isn't in a condition where it will linger.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riske was placed on the DL on April 12th, retroactive to April 5th, the last day he had pitched. The problem was a lower back strain. He began throwing again at the start of May, and completed a rehab assignment on May 22nd. He was Called up on May 23rd when David Wells went back on the DL. Seems the strain was pretty severe.

Seems that His Back bothered him most of spring training also.

Everyone knew that something must be wrong with David Riske as he struggled through Spring Training.

The pitcher who threw 72+ innings last year with a 3.10 ERA and an excellent 0.97 WHIP was hit hard regularly throughout March. So it comes as no surprise that the right-handed reliever was placed on the disabled list yesterday with a lingering lower back strain.

The move came as David Wells was activated to start last night’s game against the Toronto Blue Jays. The roster move everyone expected — the demotion of Lenny DiNardo — was therefore avoided… and Dinardo received a reprieve that will keep him in the majors for at least two more weeks.

Riske has pitched in just one game in 2006… in that appearance he allowed two runs on two hits (including a home run) in one inning pitched against the Texas Rangers.

Said GM Theo Epstein: “He’s had some back issues in the past. It was bothering him a little bit during Spring Training and then it flared up a lot last week, most acutely in the last 48 hours. We just have to let it calm down and get him back to 100 percent”.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
Has anyone seen any confirmation of this? I can't find any online :(

I have been listening to the SCORE all morning and haven't heard anything about this. Offman just gave his scoreboard report a few minutes ago and didn't mention a trade at all. I want to believe it, but it isn't passing the smell test right now.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I have been listening to the SCORE all morning and haven't heard anything about this. Offman just gave his scoreboard report a few minutes ago and didn't mention a trade at all. I want to believe it, but it isn't passing the smell test right now.

Yeah I'm not finding anything yet.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
Tell ya what, gonna change the title and unpin it for now until we know for CERTAIN. I don't trust Levine much at all for obvious reasons.

Thats a good call changing the title until further confirmation. Maybe it does have something to do with Riske simply passing a physical. I hope its true, we need bullpen help

I didn't know about a bad back until now, but on the surface, how can you not like this deal? We gave up a guy with picked up for nothing to get a solid RH reliever, who will step right into the set up role. Even if his back acts up, we still lost nothing. Great move, especially this early in the season...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
I didn't know about a bad back until now, but on the surface, how can you not like this deal? We gave up a guy with picked up for nothing to get a solid RH reliever, who will step right into the set up role. Even if his back acts up, we still lost nothing. Great move, especially this early in the season...

Guaranteed. You do this deal in July, and you give up a fairly good prospect no question.