David Riske

Sox1422

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:21 PM)
Riske can bring it, the back is definitely a question mark, he's had problems with it in the past.

His back simply needs to withstand three and a half months of baseball; after that, the Sox are no longer on the hook for him.

The price for a reliever like Riske--all things considered, including injury--will skyrocket in three to four weeks' time. This is a relative steal.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
So, the one thing I will note is that the Sons of Sam Horn, and Boston's media in general, appear to have soured rather quickly on Riske. He's been described thus far as inconsistent, among other things.

But we have Coop!!! That should straighten him out right quick!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
So, the one thing I will note is that the Sons of Sam Horn, and Boston's media in general, appear to have soured rather quickly on Riske. He's been described thus far as inconsistent, among other things.

I've learned to complete ignore any harsh sentiments coming out of Boston or New York. If you remember the Loaiza trade, you would have thought the Yankess acquired a right-handed Warren Spahn.

They'll talk up Lopez as if he was one of the game's better prospects, Gammons will enlighten the country on the trade, and, before you know it, the Red Sox fleeced the White Sox.

Things are par for the course.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I've learned to complete ignore any harsh sentiments coming out of Boston or New York. If you remember the Loaiza trade, you would have thought the Yankess acquired a right-handed Warren Spahn.

They'll talk up Lopez as if he was one of the game's better prospects, Gammons will enlighten the country on the trade, and, before you know it, the Red Sox fleeced the White Sox.

Things are par for the course.

Good. Let everyone think that...and when Riske pulls an El Duque '06, who'll be laughing then?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Good. Let everyone think that...and when Riske pulls an El Duque '06, who'll be laughing then?

I agree ............ obviously the SOX scouts thought highly enough of him to make this move

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
But we have Coop!!! That should straighten him out right quick!

This is a good point. We have one of the BEST pitching coaches in baseball with Cooper, and one of the BEST trainers in Herm Schneider. If anyone can work magic, its definitely these two. Remember the props Bo Jackson gave Herm in his recovery and training?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:56 AM)
I didn't know about a bad back until now, but on the surface, how can you not like this deal? We gave up a guy with picked up for nothing to get a solid RH reliever, who will step right into the set up role. Even if his back acts up, we still lost nothing. Great move, especially this early in the season...

This is exactly right. Obviously, the Sox weren't all that high on Lopez. If Riske bombs, all it really costs is cash.

Javier Lopez was never going to pitch for the Sox, or else he would have replaced Boone or been up instead of Agustin. This is no-risk, high reward. Lopez had a tough time getting righties out in AAA. Riske can get lefties out as well and isn't horrible against righties.

Brilliantly orchastrated by KW-with all the temptation to bring up a reliever, he kept him there-didnt screw with success he had at Charlotte, and increased his value.

We pulled off a good one here. I wonder if this was done because they have given up on getting Hermanson back at all this year?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Indians fans will tell you Riske sometimes suffers from the, as Hawk likes to say, "can't pull a greased tee out of his ass with a pair of pliers" syndrome, although he can be very tough. I do recall, at least 3 or 4 years ago, he was compared to Keith Foulke.

So are we talking about a RH Damaso Marte? Million dollar arm, 10 cent head? Meh, its still an improvement on the question marks we had, plus he will be the middle relief guy, not nearly as much pressure there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
:huh made sense to me.

The word 'optioned' could be construed as an adjective.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Only if you're reading with your eyes closed. Seemed perfectly fine to me.

Thanks smart ass.