Was Guillen Out Of Line Last Night?

aboz56

Was Ozzie Guillen Out Of Line Last Night?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. For How He Dealt With Sean Tracey

• Yes, Absolutely
    • No, He Was Right

Now that Tracey has been demoted to AAA and is probably on the fast track to never appearing with the Sox again, I find its time to poll Soxtalkers on what transpired last night.

I for one am very disappointed as to how Sean Tracey was dealt with last night. I felt Ozzie went out of his way to show him up and it was totally uncalled for. He should have dealt with things behind close doors like a professional.

So my question is posed to you to vote on and discuss the topic here.

Interested to hear what everyone has to say.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is kind of gray area'd because really he did deal with him behind closed doors in a way. He didn't bash Tracey to the media, and he talked to him after he got to the dugout. Yeah the cameras caught the incident, but it wasn't Ozzie's intent for this to be public. I'm not happy with the way it went, but like I said, that wasn't meant for our consumtion in the first place.

The more I think about it, it seems Ozz may have lost his cool and OVERREACTED big time. Again though, Ozz is a very emotional guy, and this kind of thing doesnt surprise me. It would not be cool if Sean Tracy were to be blackballed with the SOX because of this. But if everything is correct, there is no GRAY AREA here. Ozzie asked him to do 1 Specific Thing, and he didnt do it. Hopefully Ozz talks to him afterwards and this gets straightened out, we cant afford to be throwing away pitchers right now

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm not happy with the way it went, but like I said, that wasn't meant for our consumtion in the first place.

...........this also is very important to note

Considering all the disdain the White Sox and at least one of their broadcasters had with Victor Martinez celebrating a home run in the dugout, Ozzie has to be aware that what he does in the dugout is going to be seen. We may never know the whole story. Maybe Ozzie told the bullpen coach to tell Tracey he was coming in to hit Blaylock, and maybe that message didn't get translated properly. I do think that if the Sox are sick of getting HBP, maybe they should start retaliating BEFORE warnings are issued. I didn't think chewing Tracey out was fair last night, and I don't think sending a guy with onlh 2 or 3 major league appearances under his belt, a guy who looks like he has a decent future out with the sole purpose of sticking one into Blaylock's ribs is fair either. Vazquez should have hit somebody after the first HBP, one where he himself said he thought was intentional. Protect your players. Hitting someone in the 7th or 8th inning of a game that is out of hand is not protecting your players.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Well it is kind of gray area'd because really he did deal with him behind closed doors in a way. He didn't bash Tracey to the media, and he talked to him after he got to the dugout. Yeah the cameras caught the incident, but it wasn't Ozzie's intent for this to be public. I'm not happy with the way it went, but like I said, that wasn't meant for our consumtion in the first place.

There are camera's IN the dugouts at Arlington. If it wasn't for our viewing he should have done it IN the clubhouse where there are no cameras.

I think that Ozzie was out of line, but I'll say this: For anyone who's never been unfairly chewed-out by a moody boss before, welcome to the real world! It's not fair, but it happens all of the time. And it usually has nothing to do with you personally. Just let it go. Hopefully Tracey knows this.

Despite my disagreements on things, I don't think it was "out of line" to try and throw at Blalock, and I don't even think it would necesarily be out of line to after the game, in private, chew out Tracey for not hitting him. However to do it in the dugout like that, in what was obviously at least partial view of t.v. cameras, was way out of line.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
I think that Ozzie was out of line, but I'll say this: For anyone who's never been unfairly chewed-out by a moody boss before, welcome to the real world! It's not fair, but it happens all of the time. And it usually has nothing to do with you personally. Just let it go. Hopefully Tracey knows this.

I chew, and have been chewed... NEVER in front of peers.

Ozzie seemed to give Tracey the kind of verbal lashing usually reserved for only the most boneheaded or out of line actions that happen between the lines. It was Tracey's third major league appeareance, he tried to hit Blalock twice (possibly on the third one too), he has major issues with control, no need for Ozzie to put on such a display in front of the team and cameramen.

A kid pitcher with no control has now been banished to triple AAA.

On the other hand, do you think they'll ever be another problem with anyone on this team sticking up for their teamates?

The kid's a rookie and he was made an example of. I'm curious if those of you who are calling this classless were the same ones cheering when BA ran in to clock Michael Barrett and take out Mabry? If I remember right, popular consensus was that Brian went out of his way and earned some cred with his teamates. To pretend that Tracy didn't fail to stick up for his teamates, turning the blame onto Ozzie, is fairly hypocritical.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

I thought most bosses will chew your ass out after meetings are over, not in front of the big cahunas(sp?).

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
cameras aside, he was humiliated in front of his teammates and told he was being sent down.

I think Tracey's devastated expression says it all - it was handled very poorly.

Tracey could bring us another decent reliever, trade the kid if he cant defend our team.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
I thought most bosses will chew your ass out after meetings are over, not in front of the big cahunas(sp?).

Ozzie Guillen isn't most bosses either. Trust me, I have been chewed out in front of everyone and behind close doors... It happens everywhere.

Agree wholeheartedly. I hope this doesnt blow up and become more than it really is

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:11 PM)
White Sox optioned RHP Sean Tracey to Triple-A Charlotte.

Tracey was doomed from the moment he failed to plunk Hank Blalock last night. As upset as Ozzie Guillen was about the incident, Tracey could be a candidate to be traded next month

Tracey was optioned because of the Riske acquisition, I really don't think last night effected his chances of staying with the team.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)
Ozzie Guillen isn't most bosses either. Trust me, I have been chewed out in front of everyone and behind close doors... It happens everywhere.

Yea, but you're an arrogant prick who irritates the boss so badly that it makes it impossible for him to be able to wait to chew you a new rear end.. :whip