Anyone ever meet a "famous" musician before?

Hangar18

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 04:47 AM)
Dennis DeYoung and the Panozzo brothers from Styx at the Arena Bowl on 103rd & Cicero in Oak Lawn back when Styx was still on the the Wooden Nickel label. They hadn't hit it big nationally at that time, but "Lady" was a local hit and I had seen Styx perform a few times.

I also met Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad in a bar he was playing at in Paducah KY after GFR ended.

And Hank Williams, Jr. fwiw.

Styx played my sister's high school homecoming back when they were just starting out.

The only famous musicians I've ever met are Pat DiNizio and Dennis Diken of The Smithereens. Nice enough guys, kinda quiet though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see...

Styx (cool, friendly guys)

Villiage People (great guys, REALLY funny, Awesome show)

Kenny Rogers (kind of a jerk, SUCKED in concert)

Travis Tritt (biggest asshole and hypocrate ever)

Doobie Bros (friendly guys as well)

REO Speedwagon (awesome Chicago guys)

Faith Hill (Really nice, and down to earth)

Charile Daniels (very cool dude)

CCR (minus John Fogarty)

I know there are some I am forgetting... I spent a few years working on the grandstand staff for the county fair, setting up the concerts.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
Lets see...

Styx (cool, friendly guys)

Villiage People (great guys, REALLY funny, Awesome show)

Kenny Rogers (kind of a jerk, SUCKED in concert)

Travis Tritt (biggest asshole and hypocrate ever)

Doobie Bros (friendly guys as well)

REO Speedwagon (awesome Chicago guys)

Faith Hill (Really nice, and down to earth)

Charile Daniels (very cool dude)

CCR (minus John Fogarty)

I know there are some I am forgetting... I spent a few years working on the grandstand staff for the county fair, setting up the concerts.

I bet!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
I bet!

True story. My buddy picked them up at the South Bend airport and was driving them back to the fair grounds. As they pulled into the grounds, one of the saw the bovine barn, and asked what that was. My buddy told them it was cattle. Next they passed the sheep barn, and the guy said, "Ah the sheep barn, I know what that is, you can drop me off right here, baa-baa"

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
True story. My buddy picked them up at the South Bend airport and was driving them back to the fair grounds. As they pulled into the grounds, one of the saw the bovine barn, and asked what that was. My buddy told them it was cattle. Next they passed the sheep barn, and the guy said, "Ah the sheep barn, I know what that is, you can drop me off right here, baa-baa"

Guess you had to be there.

:bang

I have 3 1/2 experience that may qualify here...

1. Said hello to Adam (I think that is his name) the lead singer of the Counting Crows backstage a couple of years ago.

2. Met Chaley Pride before he sang the National Anthem before the Rickwood Classic a few years ago. The Classic was honoring former Birmingham Black Barons and Negro League players. Charley actually played for the Black Barons before his music career took off.

3. I'm in The Viper Room in LA several years ago. Standing in the crowd listening to some rap group and a short guy bumped into my shoulder. I looked left and it was Ice-T. He looked at me and said "What's up?" and I replied "How are you doin?". He nodded and kept walking.

3 1/2. A girl that works for me is drinking with Rob Thomas right now. He was playing in town tonight and she knows him.

-McCartney and his now EX Heather (Paul gave me the guitar pick he was using at the rehearsal I was at)

-Buddy Guy (At his club)

-David Lee Roth and the Van Halen brothers. (In Roth's kitchen, they were making chili)

-Jimmy Buffet (On the set of the movie we were working on)

-Meatloaf (Played softball with him a few times)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 22, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
3 1/2. A girl that works for me is drinking with Rob Thomas right now. He was playing in town tonight and she knows him.

I finally got to meet him Saturday night. Yummy... :wub:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 21, 2006 -> 06:38 AM)
Styx played my sister's high school homecoming back when they were just starting out.

The only famous musicians I've ever met are Pat DiNizio and Dennis Diken of The Smithereens. Nice enough guys, kinda quiet though.

They played my high school homecoming my sophomore year. 1972, I think.

Took a really cool Indie Rock class back in college. Got to hang out at Steve Albini's studio one day, and then Jeff Tweedys loft on the Northside another day. If I had been a fan of Indie music before I had taken that class these two experiences would have been high on my list of coolest things I've ever done.

Albini was a character...

Tweedy was his mellow self...

Very cool stuff though.

While waiting to be picked up by my mum after a Steve Hackett (once of Genesis) gig, my freind and I got into a conversation with Steve and his brother. We ended up giving them a lift into Leeds,this is in my mums car remember, possibly the most cool/uncool night of my teenage years.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 06:12 PM)
While waiting to be picked up by my mum after a Steve Hackett (once of Genesis) gig, my freind and I got into a conversation with Steve and his brother. We ended up giving them a lift into Leeds,this is in my mums car remember, possibly the most cool/uncool night of my teenage years.

How do you think Steve felt, having to bum a ride in Mam's family truckster? :D

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jun 29, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
Took a really cool Indie Rock class back in college. Got to hang out at Steve Albini's studio one day, and then Jeff Tweedys loft on the Northside another day. If I had been a fan of Indie music before I had taken that class these two experiences would have been high on my list of coolest things I've ever done.

Albini was a character...

Tweedy was his mellow self...

Very cool stuff though.

did tweedy fall in love w/ your girlfriend.