Flag burning amendment headed to Senate floor.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy: Say, who left all this garbage on the steps of Congress?

I'm not garbage.

I'm an amendment to be.

Yes, an amendment to be.

And I'm hoping that they'll ratify me.

There's a lot of flag burners

Who have got too much freedom.

I want to make it legal for policemen to beat 'em.

'Cause there's limits to our liberties.

'Least I hope and pray that there are.

'Cause those liberal freaks go too far.

Boy: But why can't we just make a lawagainst flag burning?

Amendment-to-be: Because that law would be unconstitutional. But if we changethe Constitution...

Boy: Then we could make all sorts of crazy laws.

Amendment-to-be: Now you're catching on.

Bart: What the hell is this?

Lisa: It's one of those campy seventies throwbacks that appeals to generation x-ers.

Bart: We need another Vietnam to thin out their ranks a little.

Boy: But what if people say you're not good enough to be in the Constitution?

Amendment-to-be:

Then I'll crush all opposition to me

And I'll make Ted Kennedy pay.

If he fights back, I'll say that he's gay.

Narrator: Good news, amendment. They ratified you. You're in the U.S. Constitution.

Amendment-to-be: Oh, yeah! Door's open, boys! (Gun-wielding bills rush up Capitol Steps)

flag burning? why does anyone care? the moment someone sets a match to a flag they lose all credibility and become the subject of scorn. Do we really need to waste tax dollars and time by sending them through the criminal justice system?

the supreme court will overrule it anyway. Freedom of expression should not be criminalized. What's next? I can't call bush and cheney cocksuckers?

What a complete waste of time and tax payer dollars. And what an embarrassment for those 66 Senators.

The flag is fabric. Its a symbol. Its not the country.

I cannot believe these idiots are taking time away from issues like... i don't know... crime, poverty, war, terror, disasters, the economy and pretty much anything the **** else. Amazing.

If it becomes a constitutional amendment, it can not be found unconstitutional.

Sad that our Congressional priorities seem to be to spend time and money to make sure that nobody burns a flag out of protest yet we can't seem to find the time to address issues that really matter.

The 1989 Supreme Court case Texas vs. Johnson ruled that flag burning was protected symbolic political speech. The justices also decreed that the state could not criminalize flag burning in order to keep the flag as a symbol of national unity. Justice Brennan stated in the majority opinion: "If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable." The goal of the Constitution, for which much blood was spilled by our forefathers, was to protect unpopular speech from government oppression.

If we venerate the flag so much -- then why have we also allowed for such crass commercialization of the image? I can have skid marks on my flag boxer shorts, wipe barbecue sauce off my mouth with my flag napkin, spill juice on my flag shirt, sweat all over my flag hat and get dirt on my flag pants.

If Americans truly want to venerate the flag as a symbol of freedom and liberty -- then they should condemn the usage of the flag as a partisan political tool and the commercialization that has cheapened the importance of such an image.

In my eyes, the Constitution is a much better image of what American stands for than the flag. It is the system of values, ethics and ideas that separate us from other nations and make us truly great. Every United States flag ever made could be torched but it would not mean a thing because the flag is just a symbol. The ideas in the Constitution can never be incinerated because they are in all of our minds and hearts as something we cherish and revere.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
the supreme court will overrule it anyway. Freedom of expression should not be criminalized. What's next? I can't call bush and cheney cocksuckers?

The Supreme Court can't overrule a Constitutional Amendment.

Actually if you specifically read the constitution, it is silent on whether the Supreme Court would have jurisdiction to hear a case regarding whether an amendment was constitutional.

I dont really want to do the research, but now that I start to think about it Im starting to feel that the Supreme Court would find that it was able to hear the case. There are 2 ways for an amendment, the 2nd way involves only the Senate and House. This to me suggests that Amendments are legislative in nature, one of the purposes of the Supreme Court is to be a check on the legislative.

The constitution specifically spells out a way for the legislature to trump the executive (2/3's in congress over turns presidential veto), but there is never a way for congress to make a law not subject to Supreme Court rule. Even if the law is passed 100-0 it still is subject to the Supreme Court.

I am not a constitutional law expert, but this seems like the type of "tyranny of the majority" that the founding fathers specifically tried to prevent.

Anyways my guess is amendment fails. Most people dont care, I mean we are a commercial society, we should promote people going out and buying more merchandise to destroy it and have to buy more. Dont they have better things to do with the money I send them yearly.

I mean did anyone find anything to say that the Supreme Court cant? I tried to find it, and Im really finding nothing but maybe Im just not looking in the right spots.

flag burning? why does anyone care? the moment someone sets a match to a flag they lose all credibility and become the subject of scorn. Do we really need to waste tax dollars and time by sending them through the criminal justice system?

That's what is wrong with this country today. Where is the pride, our military is out giving there lives for our freedom's and the people at home don't even care if the flag on which this country was built around is being burnt. I come from a military family and I just don't understand where the pride went.

QUOTE(minors @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 06:30 PM)
That's what is wrong with this country today. Where is the pride, our military is out giving there lives for our freedom's and the people at home don't even care if the flag on which this country was built around is being burnt. I come from a military family and I just don't understand where the pride went.

Maybe some of us care a little bit for what that flag represents.

In one part you speak of freedom, and in another you are so willing to take it away. Part of freedom, part of democracy (or if you want to be technical a republic) is that people are going to have different views. When America lets people burn the flag, it shows that we not only preach, but we practice.

I dont see any amendments banning the Confederate flag, or stopping people from showing a swastika in public.

What America should be proud about is that we let people have any opinion they want.

QUOTE(minors @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)

There isn't a rash of flag burnings in America. Hell, I can't even think of one case in recently history (after 1990) where there has been a flag burning in America. It is nothing more than a cheap, tawdry political maneuver by career politicians who don't want to have voters look at issues like the problems in Iraq, psychological/physical torture being used by the CIA and certain members trained by the CIA in the US Army, the problems with the economy, et al.

Justice Brennan: “Punishing desecration of the flag dilutes the very freedom that makes this emblem so revered, and worth revering.”

and the people at home don't even care if the flag on which this country was built around is being burnt.

This country wasn't built around a flag, it was built around a series of great principles, like freedom of expression. Such a freedom allows people to do distasteful things like burning flags.

There isn't a rash of flag burnings in America. Hell, I can't even think of one case in recently history (after 1990) where there has been a flag burning in America. It is nothing more than a cheap, tawdry political maneuver by career politicians who don't want to have voters look at issues like the problems in Iraq, psychological/physical torture being used by the CIA and certain members trained by the CIA in the US Army, the problems with the economy, et al.

Justice Brennan: “Punishing desecration of the flag dilutes the very freedom that makes this emblem so revered, and worth revering.”

I understand your position but it is hard for me because of my uncle that was killed in Vietnam because of that SOB Lyndon Johnson. I am looking for my mom for a way to get my uncle's old medals I got the Purple Heart and the medal of honor but there are a few others would the VA be able to help?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)

I dont give a rats ass if the CIA and military are torturing people. As far as Im concerned, Radical Islamo-fascists have the right to be mowed down by machine gun fire and to have physical pain inflicted on them to produce information so that more of them can be mowed down.

Problems with the economy? As far as I can see all we need to do is cut some spending. Aside from that we're in really REALLY good shape. Deal with the immigration issue also ( Which is being done ).

I dont give a rats ass if the CIA and military are torturing people. As far as Im concerned, Radical Islamo-fascists have the right to be mowed down by machine gun fire and to have physical pain inflicted on them to produce information so that more of them can be mowed down.

Problems with the economy? As far as I can see all we need to do is cut some spending. Aside from that we're in really REALLY good shape. Deal with the immigration issue also ( Which is being done ).

I agree here the country is really headed the right way and soon people are going to realize it.

I dont give a rats ass if the SS and Gestapo are torturing people. As far as Im concerned, Jew communists have the right to be mowed down by machine gun fire and to have physical pain inflicted on them to produce information so that more of them can be mowed down.

Problems with the economy? As far as I can see all we need to do is cut some spending. Aside from that we're in really REALLY good shape. Deal with the immigration issue also ( Send Jews to internment camps or ghettos ).

Heil Hitler

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:34 PM)

Unfortunately the US Code of Military Justice does care and it is why a lot of people are being brought forth for charges and being successfully convicted.

And torture is notoriously unreliable for information because they are likely just to give info to appease the interrogator rather than it be anything factual. Plus torture is completely anti-thetical to the concepts, precepts and all ideas that we, as a civilized society, hold dear. But other than that, it's just fine.

But back on topic -- why are you so against flag burning when you and your colleagues are out defending the freedom of a society, especially one that includes the protected idea to burn a flag if one so pleases? If you don't like flag burning, do what I do. Don't burn one.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Unfortunately the US Code of Military Justice does care and it is why a lot of people are being brought forth for charges and being successfully convicted.

And torture is notoriously unreliable for information because they are likely just to give info to appease the interrogator rather than it be anything factual. Plus torture is completely anti-thetical to the concepts, precepts and all ideas that we, as a civilized society, hold dear. But other than that, it's just fine.

But back on topic -- why are you so against flag burning when you and your colleagues are out defending the freedom of a society, especially one that includes the protected idea to burn a flag if one so pleases? If you don't like flag burning, do what I do. Don't burn one.

Flag-burning is a universally despised method of disrespect towards our country and enough people, on both sides of the aisle, agree that it is an unacceptable form of protest. Unfortunately, the practice has stood up in court based on the 1st amendment so people who dont like it are taking the step of getting an amendment passed. This is nothing more than a prime example of working within the system to change something that should be changed.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California was the lone committee Democrat to vote for the measure, saying its language was designed to both protect the flag and First Amendment free speech protections.

Lying, cowardly b****.

If it passes, maybe the newly legion flag burners will be spared punishment under the reasoning that no flag is a fitting emblem for display any more, given that it no longer stands for s***.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:49 PM)
Lying, cowardly b****.

If it passes, maybe the newly legion flag burners will be spared punishment under the reasoning that no flag is a fitting emblem for display any more, given that it no longer stands for s***.

LOL!!!!

Bitter aren't we.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
Flag-burning is a universally despised method of disrespect towards our country and enough people, on both sides of the aisle, agree that it is an unacceptable form of protest. Unfortunately, the practice has stood up in court based on the 1st amendment so people who dont like it are taking the step of getting an amendment passed. This is nothing more than a prime example of working within the system to change something that should be changed.

It's the tyrrany of the majority that the founders warned about.

The Bill of Rights is supposed to protect unpopular speech.

Irony level that a military guy is going against the Bill of Rights = infinity

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
It's the tyrrany of the majority that the founders warned about.

The Bill of Rights is supposed to protect unpopular speech.

Irony level that a military guy is going against the Bill of Rights = infinity

Tyranny of the majority? Last time I checked a constitutional amendment requires 2/3ds of BOTH houses to get passed plus ratification by 38 states. Thats a huge hurdle to pass. Its not like W or Republican leaders can just dream something up one day, pass it the next and have it be in the constitution on a whim.

Stop already.