Anyone familiar with Quark?

Heads22

If you have alot of experience in Pagemaker, Quark, while similar will feel ALOT different, for a bit. I use both, but use Quark if I have a choice. Since my experience is about 90/10 Quark, Pagemaker to me feels clunky. Besides, aren't they phasing out Pagemaker for InDesign? That is truely a bastard child of Quark & Pagemaker. Just don't ask questions about Illustrator. 15 years and I still can't do that program.

I am familiar with Quark. When my journalism teacher assigned me to be the editor, he put the entire layout on my lap and I had to learn Quark in like 2 days. It's quite easy once you get used to it. At the time, I was working with Photoshop a lot and it would f*** me up a bit. A really nice program. Not familiar with PageMaker however.

When I was on the newspaper at my high school, the first year I just wrote. The next two years, I was in editor positions. So I had to sort of learn parts of PageMaker on the fly. We never had time to sit down and learn it, because the way we worked is a staff of 15 putting out a paper every 3 weeks. We'd try to get a paper out the third week of school, so we were already working on the paper on the first day. So I have experience with PageMaker, but nothing indepth. The past year that I've been writing for an actual newspaper in town, all I have to do is pick up a camera, go to the game, keep a book while taking pics, interview coaches, write the story, drop the camera off.

I'm doing this at the very least because it'll help me in college classes. As a plus, it could give me a step up. I don't think (I don't know really) that you're going to get a kid real often heading into his second year of college with two years writing for a newspaper with experience with layout.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
When I was on the newspaper at my high school, the first year I just wrote. The next two years, I was in editor positions. So I had to sort of learn parts of PageMaker on the fly. We never had time to sit down and learn it, because the way we worked is a staff of 15 putting out a paper every 3 weeks. We'd try to get a paper out the third week of school, so we were already working on the paper on the first day. So I have experience with PageMaker, but nothing indepth. The past year that I've been writing for an actual newspaper in town, all I have to do is pick up a camera, go to the game, keep a book while taking pics, interview coaches, write the story, drop the camera off.

I'm doing this at the very least because it'll help me in college classes. As a plus, it could give me a step up. I don't think (I don't know really) that you're going to get a kid real often heading into his second year of college with two years writing for a newspaper with experience with layout.

It'll be the same with me. When I go to college, I will have 2 years of newspaper experience with 1 1/2 as editor and 2 years of layout experience as well. I plan on getting a internship with the Sun Times or Trib too.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
It'll be the same with me. When I go to college, I will have 2 years of newspaper experience with 1 1/2 as editor and 2 years of layout experience as well. I plan on getting a internship with the Sun Times or Trib too.

Do you have like a small local paper near you?

All that I did was talked to the sports editor here in town, and asked him if there were any odd jobs or errand jobs around the paper I could look into. He said no, but like 2 weeks later, he got in contact with me. Knowing that I had written for 3 years in HS, he said there was an opportunity for me to write and cover baseball and softball. 32 stories and a year later, I was invited back for this past summer and am now asked to cover not only baseball and softball, but local events as well.

Make yourself known. That's the BEST thing you can do for yourself, and I assume you already know that.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Do you have like a small local paper near you?

All that I did was talked to the sports editor here in town, and asked him if there were any odd jobs or errand jobs around the paper I could look into. He said no, but like 2 weeks later, he got in contact with me. Knowing that I had written for 3 years in HS, he said there was an opportunity for me to write and cover baseball and softball. 32 stories and a year later, I was invited back for this past summer and am now asked to cover not only baseball and softball, but local events as well.

Make yourself known. That's the BEST thing you can do for yourself, and I assume you already know that.

Haha, the only small local newspapers are La Raza (some Mexican paper) and PennySaver. :lol: I'm shooting for the bigs from the get-go. I don't have the privelege of living in Ames, Iowa. :lol:

One of the reasons I am strongly considering University of Minnesota is because if you take the Journalism program, you actually write for the Minnesota Daily in the Twin Cities. Only thing is that I have to take the written portion of the ACT to get in and I dont feel like doing it.