Bill Gates to transition away from Microsoft

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 10:26 PM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13348456/

Personally, I think M$ should split into 3 companies... Gaming (XBox), Applications, and OS>

As a security person Microsoft's operating system holes and bugs piss me off.

How about they figure out how to build an operating system without it being swiss cheese. Then they can take what they learn there and put it towards their terrible server product.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13348456/

Personally, I think M$ should split into 3 companies... Gaming (XBox), Applications, and OS>

Breaking it into those 3 companies does absolutely nothing for us. XBox would still have competition due to Sony and Nintendo, and other companies would still be putting out applications, but there would still only be 1 company with access to Microsoft's OS code. In other words, there would still be absolutely no competition in terms of having MS actually have a reason to really improve the quality of their OS, which is the real disaster.

The only way to accomplish anything productive in terms of breaking up Microsoft is to make it multiple companies, and then give each of those companies the same access to current MS technology, such that those companies can compete with each other to try to improve upon the mess created by the last 20 years of this monopoly.

Back on topic.

People love to vilify Bill Gates as an evil corporate villian who is destroying the world and crushing people with his products but thats simply not true. I read somewhere that he gives away like 20 BILLION dollars a year through his foundation. I think he ranks 1st in dollar terms among all the great philanthropists of all time.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
Back on topic.

People love to vilify Bill Gates as an evil corporate villian who is destroying the world and crushing people with his products but thats simply not true. I read somewhere that he gives away like 20 BILLION dollars a year through his foundation. I think he ranks 1st in dollar terms among all the great philanthropists of all time.

You're way off on the numbers. In banner years, I think their foundation has donated something like $2 billion during a year as it's max. The biggest donation in history was the money Gates put up to get the work of the foundation started, which was a $6 billion donation. $20 billion a year would bankrupt him in 3-4 years.

Edit: Not to belittle $2 billion a year, btw. That's still a pretty good chunk of change.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:45 AM)
You're way off on the numbers. In banner years, I think their foundation has donated something like $2 billion during a year as it's max. The biggest donation in history was the money Gates put up to get the work of the foundation started, which was a $6 billion donation. $20 billion a year would bankrupt him in 3-4 years.

Edit: Not to belittle $2 billion a year, btw. That's still a pretty good chunk of change.

TYPO alert!!!

I didn't even realize it until you posted your response.

me:chair

To those who care about this kind of stuff, Gates walking away is no big surprise. He has been working himself out the door for years now, even installing Steve Balmer as President of the company a few years back. Gates has said publicly before he sees no need to keep all of his money, and has mentioned giving away the great majority of it, as he feels no one needs that much money, including the future generations of his family. The Gates foundation has done tons of good all over the world, and really it seems will do a lot more now with Bill focusing more and more energy into that.