Illegal border crossings down sharply.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
Just out of curiosity, how exactly are they able to come up with that number? I can't imagine that there's a booth where they stop and fill out a border crossing exit poll

Supposedly they base this off apprehensions.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 15, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Supposedly they base this off apprehensions.

So, in other words, you're telling me that there's been a drop in apprehensions along the border since the Guard showed up? Without further data, I'd say it's pretty hard to draw conclusions based solely on that. Maybe the Guard is just getting in the way, and leading to fewer apprehensions? Or, perhaps the presence of the Guard has forced the Coyotes into more remote areas where the Guard isn't @, and where they're finding higher degrees of success?

I understand where the idea comes from here, but I have trouble accepting your explanation as the only one without further data. It could very well be right, I'm just unconvinced.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:29 AM)
So, in other words, you're telling me that there's been a drop in apprehensions along the border since the Guard showed up? Without further data, I'd say it's pretty hard to draw conclusions based solely on that. Maybe the Guard is just getting in the way, and leading to fewer apprehensions? Or, perhaps the presence of the Guard has forced the Coyotes into more remote areas where the Guard isn't @, and where they're finding higher degrees of success?

I understand where the idea comes from here, but I have trouble accepting your explanation as the only one without further data. It could very well be right, I'm just unconvinced.

I dont think they are in the way at all. They are down there building barriers to entry and their thermal imaging equipment is an awesome surveillance tool. I think the military presence along the border is having a deterrent effect. Granted that it's impossible to tell for sure but it is the most reasonable explanation.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
I dont think they are in the way at all. They are down there building barriers to entry and their thermal imaging equipment is an awesome surveillance tool. I think the military presence along the border is having a deterrent effect. Granted that it's impossible to tell for sure but it is the most reasonable explanation.

While I agree with the Guard's presence there, and I hope they set up detection nets along the whole border... I highly doubt any sort of crossing numbers, especially this soon after the Guard's arrival. Heck, the US practically broadcast where the Guard would be (Arizona, specifically from Yuma to the Cabeza Prieta, and again around Nogales and Douglas), which would lead me to the conclusion that they are just crossing elsewhere (SE CA, SW NM).