Tiger Stadium to finally be Demolished

Hangar18

The city took forever to come up with a plan for that site and it was embarassing to walk by Tiger Stadium and see how much it had deteriorated.

Lots of history there but its time has passed. The Corktown neighborhood is rebounding and it can use the economic shot in the arm from redeveloping The Corner. There is a great bar just 2-3 blocks up Michigan called Nemo's and I bet they're happy about this.

They held a concert under a heated tent on the Tiger Stadium outfield during the Super Bowl festivities this year, and a few pictures surfaced ... the stadium was really getting bad.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
What purpose has it even served since being closed? When I went up there last year to see a Sox Tigers game it was like half destroyed already with grafiti all over the outer walls.

Excuse you.. just where are the gangs going to meet now to make their drug exchanges? Where will the kids strong enough to scale the fences got to underage drink..? Where will the teen whores take their teen johns to make money to support their 4 infants...?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
What purpose has it even served since being closed? When I went up there last year to see a Sox Tigers game it was like half destroyed already with grafiti all over the outer walls.

Someone had the idea of turning the stadium itself into condos and offices, or a historical site, but that stuff never got going because of $$$$.

Not much. There have been occasional events held there, like police vs. fire dept. softball games, part of a movie was filmed there but since 1999 there haven't been more than a couple dozen small scale events, at most.

Basically it's just been sitting there deteriorating.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
Excuse you.. just where are the gangs going to meet now to make their drug exchanges? Where will the kids strong enough to scale the fences got to underage drink..? Where will the teen whores take their teen johns to make money to support their 4 infants...?

Were there bullet holes in the upper deck seats too?

Edited by SleepyWhiteSox

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Were there bullet holes in the upper deck seats too?

HEHH HEHE HEHEH.

On a serious note, I was hoping they would renovate the stadium and do something useful with it.

It really is one of the last stadiums of that era to be still standing in almost vintage condition.

Fenway and The Urinal have had so much work done to it, they arent really the same parks anymore.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 04:30 PM)
Come on guys, you know full well that people who support a team from the south side of chicago mocking detroit is just as dumb as when detroit fans mock chicago.

Trust me, its not even close. Try buying a place in Bridgeport today, and get back to me.

It saddened me when I read that old Tiger Stadium will be torn down. I grew up in Michigan and have some fond memories of the old ball park. I grew up as a Tiger fan before becoming a White Sox fan in 1976.

From what I read the playing field will be used for a little league park and parts of the stadium it's self will be saved.

When something historical is just setting there deteriorating, it is probably best that it be torn down.

THE MAYOR'S PLAN FOR TIGER STADIUM...

Tiger Stadium: Demolished beginning this fall.

Playing field: Preserved as a park and ball field.

Preserved: A tiny portion of the stadium structure may be saved for a Corktown welcome center.

Built: Residential and retail development around the field.

Money: The city would pay for the demolition, estimated to cost $3 million to $6 million.

Developers: Unnamed private groups would find the $40 million to $70 million for the new projects.

An artist's rendition of the new Corktown development.

tigerstadium0616.jpg

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jun 16, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
HEHH HEHE HEHEH.

On a serious note, I was hoping they would renovate the stadium and do something useful with it.

It really is one of the last stadiums of that era to be still standing in almost vintage condition.

Fenway and The Urinal have had so much work done to it, they arent really the same parks anymore.

For a run down crack whore meeting facility perhaps.