Game thoughts

Soxplosion

Well, I got to see this game on TV today and theres been no other game this year that Id have been more pleased to see live. Here are just my random thoughts, positive and negative (mostly positive), on todays game.

-Colon pitched great. He struggled a bit in the last two innings but like wsf explained in another thread, that run shouldnt of scored. For the first seven innings he was unhittable. Two hits, both infield singles. He was hitting his spots too. Only threw like 20 balls in the entire game. I was hoping hed pick up the shutout but Im just happy he pitched great and got the W. He is a complete game machine. 5 CGs already.

-Ashby sucked. The man couldnt hit his spots to save his life. On the WP (that wasnt a passed ball) about the fourth inning, Lo Duca set up low and outside and Ashby came in high and inside, which is why Id call it a WP. Thats only one example but I saw many other times he missed completely. Not to mention in the first three innings, he threw three balls to all the leadoff hitters. And when your starter goes three innings, thats pretty bad.

-The third inning was awesome. Leadoff walk, then Bartolo helped himself with a great sacrifice, then DJ took one to right and stole second, Jose got the sac fly (it was a swing for the fence but it still worked), Frank walked and then Maggs took a great pitch (didnt see many good pitches from Ashby) the other way for the ribbie. Manufacturing runs. If we have more innings like that, we could be a darn good ballclub.

-Im usually a big Carlos supporter but he sucked tonite. Struck out looking with men on and two out and then he dropped an easy fly ball. I dont think there was anything wrong when he ran in front of JB, Cora was goona get there anyways, but Carlos was still pretty bad.

-Frank and Crede were great. Frank hit a bomb, that ball was just crushed. He cant hit the inside pitch, my BUTT! He hammered that ball. Then he had the two other base hits and a walk. He was just pounding the ball. Then Crede had a nice line drive opposite field homer which was pretty nice. Not to mention the two other hits.

-Great defense, excusing Carlos. Crede made a couple of nice stops and then PK picked his crappy throws out of the dirt both times. Then Val made a nice diving stop to rob McWhiff of a hit.

Thats all I can think of. I might have forgotten something, so feel free to add on to the list...

No, not exactly. Theyre ten games over. When you first said that it made sense to me but once I looked at the standings I realized your mistake. Lets go thru this. Lets say two teams are tied at 35-35. Now for one team to be one game back, one of the teams would have to be 34-36 or 36-34. Two GB, 33-37 or 37-33. And so on. For each game back you just got to switch one a win to a loss or vice versa. For a half game you need to look at the standings.

Look at me. Im up at 2 AM on a Sunday morning trying to explain GBs...

:o the sox won????????????  Just got home.........

Yep. Colon pitched a gem, Thomas and Crede both hit balls that haven't landed yet....also, Thomas went 3-3, Maggs had an RBI, DJ had an RBI, Carlos made a bone-headed play in the field, hit like s*** tonight, and Jose made one hell of a play in the field tonight.

I think I covered everything for you. Maybe you should come home around 1:00 my time every night? :lol:

Yep.  Colon pitched a gem, Thomas and Crede both hit balls that haven't landed yet....also, Thomas went 3-3, Maggs had an RBI, DJ had an RBI, Carlos made a bone-headed play in the field, hit like s*** tonight, and Jose made one hell of a play in the field tonight.

I think I covered everything for you.  Maybe you should come home around 1:00 my time every night?  :lol:

And yes, Crede and Thomas just crushed those balls. Yall know I love when Frank does that. That was an inside pitch too, which supposedly troubles Frank. Well, that one sure didnt. I knew it was gone when he hit it...

Yep.  Colon pitched a gem, Thomas and Crede both hit balls that haven't landed yet....also, Thomas went 3-3, Maggs had an RBI, DJ had an RBI, Carlos made a bone-headed play in the field, hit like s*** tonight, and Jose made one hell of a play in the field tonight.

I think I covered everything for you.  Maybe you should come home around 1:00 my time every night?  :lol:

Maggs also had his RBI on a good pitch by Ashby, one of the few good pitches from him, and he drove it the other way on a line. Very nice...

Looks like Crede is slowly starting to find his swing.

Interesting to see Wilson Alvarez out there. Kind of full swing to see a mainstay from the last Sox era, "The Good Guys in Black." When he was traded it marked the beginning of "The Kids Can Play" era, which seems to be coming to a close and a brand new time for rebuilding begins.

Oh joy!

At least that's what I came up with while I was sitting at the bar watching the game. Feel free to criticize. :cheers

Eh, I Alvarez was always just one of those guys... Only liked him cuz he was on the Sox... After he was moved to San Francisco, I didn't really care... Hell, the only ex-Sox player from the mid to late-90s I can think of that I still really, really like and is still playing is Robin Ventura because Jesus

So it goes. So it goes....

Eh, I Alvarez was always just one of those guys... Only liked him cuz he was on the Sox... After he was moved to San Francisco, I didn't really care... Hell, the only ex-Sox player from the mid to late-90s I can think of that I still really, really like and is still playing is Robin Ventura because Jesus

So it goes.  So it goes....

didnt wilson throw a 5 inning no hitter?... or am i thinking of someone else

Yep... It was against Baltimore, I forget the date (I'm guessing 1991 or therabouts). I have a baseball card commerating the event buried somewhere in one of the shoeboxes of baseball cards buried underneath some binders of baseball cards buried underneath loose baseball cards in my closet somewhere.

Before my time, though.

I liked Karkovice but I always used to wonder what was wrong with his face. He had like a thin scraggly beard all over face. Somethings like Planet of the Apes.

Ventura I never really liked. Dont know why, just dont like him. I laugh whenever I look at arneharris avatar where Ryan is beating the crap outta Ventura. I heard that once Ryan pegged Dave Winfield and Winny ran out there and flattened him. Then he vowed to never let that happen again and Ventura was the unlucky SOB to challenge him.

Fernandez was pretty cool. But I dont really remember him. I was like nine when he left.

I dont remember Bo much either but I always loved when he broke the bat on his knee. That was cool.

Frank is easily my favorite Sox player and he always will be. Im sure well have more Sox legends or superstars like him in the future (heck, Maggs might be one) but he made me a Sox fan. Therefore, Ill never have another favorite player. Ill post year 50 years from now and tell people stories about Frank...

No, not exactly. Theyre ten games over. When you first said that it made sense to me but once I looked at the standings I realized your mistake. Lets go thru this. Lets say two teams are tied at 35-35. Now for one team to be one game back, one of the teams would have to be 34-36 or 36-34. Two GB, 33-37 or 37-33. And so on. For each game back you just got to switch one a win to a loss or vice versa. For a half game you need to look at the standings.

Look at me. Im up at 2 AM on a Sunday morning trying to explain GBs...

And I'm up at 1:00 in the morning misinterpreting GB's... I understand what they are, but just completely miscorrolated GB's and games under .500.... :bang

Yep... It was against Baltimore, I forget the date (I'm guessing 1991 or therabouts). I have a baseball card commerating the event buried somewhere in one of the shoeboxes of baseball cards buried underneath some binders of baseball cards buried underneath loose baseball cards in my closet somewhere.

Before my time, though.

i got fired from my job for ribbing the owner(cub fan) about that no hitter.... f*** you butch :finger

Wilson Alvarez did throw a no-hitter versus Baltimore but it was a CG 9-inning game. I also remember him beating Toronto in the AL Championship playoffs. I believe it was the only win we had. Alvarez was one heckuva pitcher and had a great breaking ball to go along with his fastball, etc. I loved to watch him pitch.

The game last night was what we have been wanting for quite sometime now. Timely hitting, defensive excellence (except for that miscure by Lee) and some base running all glued together by a super pitching performance. I know we can play with the big boys. Now we have to see if they can keep it together for more than one game.

I saw the game and I thought Jimenez made a super play in the field and not Jose

Maybe I am wrong.....

They had the shift on for McGriff, so DJ was in shallow RF, and Jose was playing 2B.

I thought it was DJ initially as well, and was surprised as hell by it....and then they clarified it, and I became less awestruck....because Jose can make those kinds of plays.