Jeff Weaver

Steve9347

from ESPN insider

No interest in Weaver

Jun 15 - The Angels have let teams know that Jeff Weaver is available, and have offered to pay a chunk of what's left on his $8.325-million contract. But so far, the Angels have found little interest in the struggling right-hander, according to a report in The Los Angeles Times.

With the return of Bartolo Colon to the Angels' starting rotation in the coming days, the Angels are thinking of moving Weaver to the bullpen. The move to the pen would also allow the Angels to keep Weaver's brother, Jered, in the rotation.

Jered is 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA in his first four starts for the Angels.

This is a great opportunity. Coop has worked wonders with many pitchers in the past. We could EASILY get the Angels to pay well over half of his salary for the remainder of the contract (say the Sox get stuck with paying 2 mill a season). This guy still throws heat, but is struggling with control. This has a KW move written all over it. Plus, with the way Garcia and Garland have pitched thus far this season, he could be a very useful insurance policy in long relief when needed, so B-Mac could be saved for the later innings.

I dunno, this is another guy that NY screwed up (see Contreras, Vazquez) and I don't think it would take long for Coop to rectify his confidence issues (ie "throw fastballs and more fastballs"). He was a very solid pitcher in Detroit, and still has nasty stuff...

Plus, he's still only 29.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I'm sure that Coop could get him back to an above-average level, but there's just no room for him here... unless he wants to pitch out of the 'pen.

um, that's what i was talking about.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
um, that's what i was talking about.

Right, but that's IF he wants to pitch long relief. El Duque didn't and KW shipped him out.

BTW, dumb question, but does Belfour really have a Sox sticker on his mask?

KW tried to acquire Weaver when he was pitching for the Tigers. The fact that it appears the Angels are willing to almost give him away, and eat most of his contract, and they still don't have a taker speaks volumes. IIRC, he pretty much was a gas can when he was used out of the bullpen, and has had a few off the field issues. Cooper's a good pitching coach, but not a miracle worker. I think I would pass unless you where only on the hook for a very very small amount, and the Angels were willing to take a non-prospect. He's a punk.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Right, but that's IF he wants to pitch long relief. El Duque didn't and KW shipped him out.

BTW, dumb question, but does Belfour really have a Sox sticker on his mask?

naw, i photoshopped that little sucker on there.

I think weaver is a stud, or could be in a sox uniform, but i dont want him. Our bullpen is coming around (shut down reds yesterday) and i think politte will come around (if he ever gets his head on straight). We dont need him

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 17, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
Way too many issues with Weaver...pass on him as well.

this has nothing to due with this topic but Jester if that avatar is correct I am going to enjoy my trip to Brazil this summer.

Edited by WinningUgly85

Weaver could turn himself into a pretty darn good reliever. If the Angels are willing to pay pretty much everything and we don't have to give up anything much in terms of prospects, I'd be bite on this and work on using him out of the pen.

Him and Riske could make this pen a lot better.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
Weaver could turn himself into a pretty darn good reliever. If the Angels are willing to pay pretty much everything and we don't have to give up anything much in terms of prospects, I'd be bite on this and work on using him out of the pen.

Him and Riske could make this pen a lot better.

The Angels aren't going to both pay his entire contract and trade him away without getting anything in terms of prospects in return. Not when he's only on a 1 year deal and they can just hold on, maybe win a few more games, and possibly get a draft pick in return for him next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)
The Angels aren't going to both pay his entire contract and trade him away without getting anything in terms of prospects in return. Not when he's only on a 1 year deal and they can just hold on, maybe win a few more games, and possibly get a draft pick in return for him next year.

Well the Angels won't offer him arbitration because that would mean he could accept and get like 7 million (since your contract can only go down a small amount each year via arbitration). So I think you could get the Sox to pick up about 2 million (over the final few months) which means the Angels probably pick up 2 mill as well and in return the Sox don't have to give up much anything.

Who smokes more weed?

A) Jeff Weaver

B ) Brian Anderson

Someone will get desperate around the deadline and with the Angels in a quasi-rebuilding mode, they'll find a taker and get something decent in return.

Spitballing: Phillies, Astros, NL West Squad, AL East Squad

Edited by AddisonStSox