Garlands Homer

allupons

Anyone else thing that Hawk and DJ's comments about Garland having bragging rights over Buehrle is kind of stupid? I imagine the conversation would go a little something like this:

Garland: So I hit a homerun. Guess that makes me a better hitter!

Buehrle: My ERA is 3 points lower than yours and we are paid to be pitchers.

Garland: yea.... that is true........

QUOTE(allupons @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
Anyone else thing that Hawk and DJ's comments about Garland having bragging rights over Buehrle is kind of stupid? I imagine the conversation would go a little something like this:

I doubt thats how the convo would go

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
Mark is a competitor. I'm sure it irks him (in a playful way) that Garland hit that HR. Nothing at all to make a big deal about.

I didn't mean either of their comments would be mean spirited. They are freinds and the clubhouse as we all know has a great atmosphere. I am just saying if Garland tries to tease Buehrle I think Buehrle has a hell of a comeback.

QUOTE(allupons @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
I didn't mean either of their comments would be mean spirited. They are freinds and the clubhouse as we all know has a great atmosphere. I am just saying if Garland tries to tease Buehrle I think Buehrle has a hell of a comeback.

I dont think either of them care what their ERA is as long as the team is winning and in the hunt for another title

QUOTE(Shamrock4Life @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 04:11 PM)
well after mb pitches against the cards and throws the perfect game, he has the ultimate bragging right.

MB throwing a perfect game and hitting a homerun are two completely different things, but your right about the bragging rights

QUOTE(zygoat @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
MB throwing a perfect game and hitting a homerun are two completely different things, but your right about the bragging rights

Mark could always just shut us all up at his next time in an NL park, throw a perfect game, and hit a couple of slams.

QUOTE(henry wiggins @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 03:14 PM)
So does this (homerun) make Garland a pinch-hitter option for Ozzie now?

You know the interesting thing? The Cardinals have a guy, Marquis I think, who they use for that. I sort of wonder sometimes whether or not there might be a couple of pitchers in the AL who might be able to hold together a .250 average if they were given the chance to hit every now and again. I mean, usually in places like little league, the guys on the mound were the best athletes on the team, some of that stuff has to carry over for a few of these guys.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
I sort of wonder sometimes whether or not there might be a couple of pitchers in the AL who might be able to hold together a .250 average if they were given the chance to hit every now and again.

I'll tell you one cat... C.C. Sabathia is a hell of a hitter. FWIW.

QUOTE(allupons @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)

Asked if he'll ever live this one down, Mark Buehrle said...

"No, I never will until I hit one," said Buehrle with a laugh. Like a good teammate and friend, Buehrle immediately found a security guard to retrieve Garland's milestone blast.

"I would like it to happen soon," Buehrle added. "If I had to guess, I will probably never hit one in my career. I've already pretty much heard from everyone else. Once we get home and I get a game under my belt, and strike out a few times, he'll get on me."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
He hit a blast last year in interleague play.

He's also been praised ALOT by Cleveland's ownership, some announcers around baseball and by C.C. himself. He could hit 2 times better than Dontrelle Willis/ Mike Hampton which is saying something. He is that good.

Really enjoyed Garland's homerun. Especially since pitchers in the American League don't get to bat very often.

You don't expect pitchers to hit home runs, but really enjoyable when one of our pitchers hits one! Way to go Jon!!

:cheers :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosoxretro: :gosox2: :gosox4:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
I was listening in the car and two seconds before Jon hit it, Farmer was talking about how good a hitter Jon was in H.S and said that he is very capable of going yard.

How s***ty do you feel when an AL pitcher goes yard on you??

DJ cracked a joke about the pitcher. He said, "They brought him over because they needed bullpen help, but it doesn't look like you're getting any when you give up homers to AL Pitchers."

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
DJ cracked a joke about the pitcher. He said, "They brought him over because they needed bullpen help, but it doesn't look like you're getting any when you give up homers to AL Pitchers."

Haha, I still need to see this Homer