Podsednik's Poor Defense

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CINCINNATI -- Scott Podsednik's six errors are one shy of the team high, and White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has been forced to pull his starting left fielder in favor of Rob Mackowiak for late-inning defensive purposes.

"[Podsednik] should be better," Guillen said. "He should be better because he was playing center field for three years. I don't know if it's concentration. … It comes from work. Sometimes you go to different ballparks and you can't read the ball well."

Podsednik got a late break on a ball Saturday that resulted in a two-run single by Cincinnati's Austin Kearns.

"That's why sometimes we replace him in the outfield," Guillen said. "I don't want to take the bat away from him. But if the time's coming, I will do that."

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
From the Sun-Times:

What's disturbing to some in the organization is the idea that Podsednik takes his at-bats to the outfield with him. It was that type of attitude that got former left fielder Carlos Lee shipped out. Guillen didn't dismiss that idea.

Without a Carl Crawford type ignitor on the team first, Pods wouldn't get shipped out. But with the sox being mentioned as interested in Crawford, I could see Pods gone. Esp. with him already being replaced in LF late in games by Mack. This is something that could come sooner than we think

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
The funny thing is that you can Pablo is actually learning, and slowly improving in LF, with the minimal playing time he gets out there. If Pablo keeps improving in left, with his speed, he could replace Pods before all is said and done.

Honestly, and I'm sure lots will disagree with me, but its getting to the point where Pods vs. Ozuna is a wash defensively to me. Pods plays deeper than most any LFer I've ever seen, and counts on his ability to run balls down to make plays...he just isn't a good LFer, no arm, and bad defensive placement. I don't think Ozuna is the answer long term at all, and until we get someone who CAN leadoff properly, AKA a Crawford, then we are gonna see Pods out there.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:14 AM)
No, you're correct.

I agree as well. They both are D's at best in LF, and the big difference used to be Pods hitting... In reality, I see their speed as being pretty close, with Pods being a better basestealer as of now, but as Pablo learns the pitchers, and learns the techniques I see no reason that Pablo can't do what Pods does for us. The only real difference I see between the two players, is that I would like to see my speedster hit lefthanded.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
The only real difference I see between the two players, is that I would like to see my speedster hit lefthanded.

Usually I'd be with you on this but Pablo gets out of the box so quickly and he hustles so much damn more then Pods down the line that I don't think that makes a difference when talking about these two.

Ozuna is also a better bunter and more aggressive base runner. While I think their defense is a wash, Guillen has recently said that Ozuna is not a everyday player. Pablo provides more to the team as a utility man and I agree. Put these things together and a trade makes sense if the right man can be had. It's also easier to find a left fielder than a center fielder. However, the price will be enormous for Crawford.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
I guess I will be one to stand up for Pods, and not want to throw him in the trash.

Sure the Defense is lacking, but I still want him in the lineup everyday.

It's not us. It's Ozzie trashing Pods. He wants him in the lineup everyday as well. But if the sox have to have a defensive replacement for a .240-.250 hitter who is taking his poor AB's into the field, then ....

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Ichiro?

KW did inquire about Ichiro in the offseason, but the Mariners had no interest in trading their most popular player even if he was no longer happy in Seattle.

I guess I'm the only one who enjoys having Pods on the team. I know he's no gold glover, and I understand he's in a bit of a slump, but when he's hot our team is golden, and even when he's a little iffy with the bat he's still more than acceptable, IMO.

I only like him 'cause he's cute, though.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
I guess I'm the only one who enjoys having Pods on the team. I know he's no gold glover, and I understand he's in a bit of a slump, but when he's hot our team is golden, and even when he's a little iffy with the bat he's still more than acceptable, IMO.

I only like him 'cause he's cute, though.

Both of these are incredible understatments, also most leadoff hitters have the same effect on the overall lineup of thier team.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Must we always b****? 8-2 in our last 10, coming off a sweep of the Reds at their place, preceeded by a 3/4 in Texas, and we are crying about Podsdenik tippy-toeing to balls in the OF. Amazing.

Did you even read the thread? It's not just the fans b****ing, it's Ozzie as well and rightfully so.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Both of these are incredible understatments, also most leadoff hitters have the same effect on the overall lineup of thier team.

How do his numbers stack up against the rest of the leadoff hitters?

Now I'm curious.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
OMG Ichiro on the Sox? To good to be true.

If Ichiro came to the sox, we would imediatly become Japan's favorite ML baseball team and i imagine KW would find a way to bring that revenue stream to the cell.