Podsednik's Poor Defense

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
Yea, this season he's been struggling on the defensive end, but I wouldn't panic.

LF is an easy position to play and he was TERRIFIC there last season.

Bizzar World where Scott Podsednik is somehow considered a terrific defensive outfielder.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
Lol, his Fielding Runs Above Average last season was +11 in LF. He's perfect for out there.

Sometimes watching a player is more than enough. Sabermetrics are not needed when evaluating Podsednik's defense, he was/is horrid.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Sometimes watching a player is more than enough. Sabermetrics are not needed when evaluating Podsednik's defense, he was/is horrid.

Sometimes it isn't.

Torri Hunter's FRAA was -4 last season and he won a good glove over Rowand (who was +10)

Why?? Because every now and then he made a great catch last season, but it didn't make up for other mishaps.

It's fine if you don't like the stat, becuase other stats also dictate he was FAR FROM a great offensive fielder (when difficulty is invloved with a stat like RATE2, it shows he wasn't so special), but a horrible OF isn't the correct assesment. LF is good for him, but he's nothing great with the glove.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:04 PM)
Sometimes it isn't.

Torri Hunter's FRAA was -4 last season and he won a good glove over Rowand (who was +10)

Why?? Because every now and then he made a great catch last season, but it didn't make up for other mishaps.

It's fine if you don't like the stat, becuase other stats also dictate he was FAR FROM a great offensive fielder (when difficulty is invloved with a stat like RATE2, it shows he wasn't so special), but a horrible OF isn't the correct assesment. LF is good for him, but he's nothing great with the glove.

Ok, you can throw out all the numbers you want, you're seriously not going to find anyone who's watched the guy consistently (especially in person) who's going to say he's anything but horrendous.

I can watch him out in LF, getting horrible jumps, taking the worst routes imaginable to get to the ball, throwing with no authority what so ever, jogging to balls in front of him that should not be dropping but are, flat out dropping balls in LF, losing balls in mid flight, diving unnecessarily and many many many other blunders he's committed over the past 2 seasons.

Sabermetrics are not needed when anyone can simply watch the guy and see that he sucks.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
He wasn't that bad either...Around this time last year a whole bunch of us were furiously voting him into the All-Star game... ^_^

If Kevin Walker was up for the final spot like Pods was people would have been voting for him.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
If Kevin Walker was up for the final spot like Pods was people would have been voting for him.

My point is that he wasn't as bad last year as his current stretch...Again, I'm not calling him a Gold-Glover either, just that he was passable...

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
My point is that he wasn't as bad last year as his current stretch...Again, I'm not calling him a Gold-Glover either, just that he was passable...

When he's "hitting" his defense tends to be ignored, he "hit" for a good portion of last season which allowed people to ignore his pathetic defense in LF. Since he's really not "hitting" this year suddenly his defense has been called into question by people who formerly would have ignored it. He's gotten worse defensively this season which is really saying something considering how bad he was last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
Sabermetrics are not needed when anyone can simply watch the guy and see that he sucks.

Thats exaclty why I love Sabermetrics.

That's not a valid argument.

I don't watch players and evaluate them solely from what I see.

Whether its hitting, fielding or pitching I always turn to stats.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)

Then what exactly is the point of even watching the games?

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)

No offense but this is one of the reasons some people can't stand sabermetrics. If you're basing players soley on stats, you're missing a lot of the story.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Then what exactly is the point of even watching the games?

Lol, I love to watch them. I watch games for fun, not to neciassarily evaluate ballplayers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I ignore what I watch, but the human eye is the most inefficent tool f player evaluation in this game. I need to data to back up why I believe ballplayers are worth what they really are.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
No offense but this is one of the reasons some people can't stand sabermetrics. If you're basing players soley on stats, you're missing a lot of the story.

Naw. I can see that Pods isn't a gifted defensive ballplayer, but at his certian position he fits finely. Stats say so, and I believe so, from watching games.

BTW, peole who continuously watch games and don't really look at the numbers miss out. Once again, watching games isn't very efficent. Not that stats are the most efficent, but to me theyre much more.

I've had plenty of Saber vs. Non-saber arguments in my life and I'd REALLY like to avoid one here, but stats tell you things your eyes don't.

Well...my EYES tell me that Pods has no defensive gameplan whatsoever, doesn't position himself very well at all, takes s***ty routes to flyballs, has a noodle arm that couldn't throw out Paul Konerko going first to 3rd, and relies solely on catchup speed to make 80% of his plays out there.

I don't need stats to see that.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Well...my EYES tell me that Pods has no defensive gameplan whatsoever, doesn't position himself very well at all, takes s***ty routes to flyballs, has a noodle arm that couldn't throw out Paul Konerko going first to 3rd, and relies solely on catchup speed to make 80% of his plays out there.

I don't need stats to see that.

You can't see what the stats see.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jun 20, 2006 -> 03:03 AM)

Are you a converted Sox fan?

If we're talking about other baseball teams, then fine, you can put a greater emphasis on statistics if you like. But you can not bulls*** people who follow this team religiously. Scott Podsednik is a defensive suckfest. Sox fans who feel otherwise are few and far between.